PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky Safari Sling

Tiptoe
10-28-2009, 12:01 AM
I have a Safari Sling that I have had on my primary hunting rifle for about eight years. I absolutely love it, that is, until last season when it developed a squeaky groan at front attachment on my stock (and sometimes at the rear). It seems to resonate loud enough that I think it would spook game. I have reattached and played with it and the only way to keep it quiet is put a finger between it and the stock, which gets fairly annoying after a day or two, not to mention my sore digits. My stock is wood and the sling seems to be kevlar or something similar.
My question: Has anyone experienced this and can you suggest some remedy?

Thanks!!!

Steeleco
10-28-2009, 12:11 AM
Are you sure it's not just the swivel and the stud making the noise? I've got two and the only noise I hear from time to time, comes from the pin of the swivel fretting on the inside of the hole in the stud.

Clean it real well and then a good soak of 3 in 1 oil should help.

spreerider
10-28-2009, 08:44 PM
I have the same problem with my safari sling, i just add a drop of oil to the front sling mount where the metal ring attaches to the swivel when i clean / dry the gun before putting it away after each trip

Deadshot
10-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Sounds like the swivel.

SAVAGE300
10-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Spray it with fluid film and that should solve your problem forever

KevinB
10-30-2009, 01:05 PM
If the noise is coming from the thin little part of the sling rubbing on the stock, go buy a small piece of fleece fabric, cut it into a little strip, wrap it around the thin part of the sling, and glue it in place. Works great. In a pinch electrical tape quiets it down too. Doesn't look pretty but who cares. All of my Safari Slings have made noise in this way and this fix works. I've never had much problem with the swivels themselves making noise.

knighthunter
10-30-2009, 07:08 PM
electrical tape works for me, put several layers on.

killman
10-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Try hockey tape, sticks better in the cold and is softer.

BigSlapper
10-31-2009, 12:33 AM
yup ...couple drops of gun oil

KevinB
11-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Try hockey tape, sticks better in the cold and is softer.

Tried that one first but it squeaked as bad or worse than the plain sling. Then it got warm or something and the adhesive sort of smushed out and it started sticking to the stock. Maybe I just have crappy hockey tape.

Tiptoe
11-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks everyone for all your input. It is actually the fabric of the sling against the stock that makes the awful noise so I will try the fleece & glue trick. I will also give it a shot of oil as that can't hurt too much.