PDA

View Full Version : Moose in the Pemberton Valley...

10-27-2009, 11:14 PM
What is the news on the moose population in this area? I remember seeing moose in there 25 years ago. There used to be a warning sign that there is no open season on moose in region 2. For a long time I kept thinking "next year there will be an LEH season", but nothing.

Does anyone have any info?

stella-artois
10-28-2009, 12:59 AM
i was up there 3 years ago and the same sign was still there

FLHTCUI
10-28-2009, 05:28 AM
I recall seeing a posted hunting season for moose up there, back around 1989 -90 the last time IIRC.
Maybe one day it will be LEH.
Rob

Casagrande
10-28-2009, 06:52 AM
NO moose hunting. Period.

Gateholio
10-28-2009, 06:59 AM
Moose are in the Soo Valley, near Mt Currie, down Lillooet Lake Road and in the Meager/Hurley area. No LEH, no season. There is some native harvest, from what I have heard. There is also the occasional vehicle or train collision.

ROEBUCK
10-28-2009, 07:41 AM
the wife and I a few years ago on the road west of the liloet river near the hurly turn off ,we saw 5 moose over a weekrend while spring bear hunting.a cow and calf and 3 immatures, one of the immies was alone and the other 2 were together about 3 k.s down the trail,we saw a large grizz on the river flood plain the same weekend. when we arrived on the friday the place was crawling with rcmp looking for a body. it was a forestry worker who had drove over a cliff.

10-28-2009, 12:56 PM
I've seen a bunch up there. Most just standing beside the road. and I've seen a few walking around the swap when glassing from the hurley.

MichelD
10-28-2009, 01:21 PM
I've seen a few there, three big bullwinkles too, and sign on the ridges all the way along the valley to Meager Creek.

Once in 1988 (jeez, is it that long ago?) I was hunting on the hill not far from the Hurley turn off and I heard a bang! in the valley. Then not so long after a bunch of mournful mooing just like a cow.

It turns out a guy I knew from the PMTI marine school was there that same weekend and on Monday he told the tale of finding a shot calf down a short side road not far from where I'd been.

sparkes3
10-28-2009, 06:38 PM
i almost wiped out my truck and trailer on a cow just past the log sort at the beginning of the hurley road may long weekend this year

10-28-2009, 07:18 PM
I know there is no season, but after no hunting for +30 years you'd think their population would support a harvest. Is the habitat not good enough to support such a population?

Gateholio
10-28-2009, 11:49 PM
I know there is no season, but after no hunting for +30 years you'd think their population would support a harvest. Is the habitat not good enough to support such a population?

Nobody knows the real population, since there has never been much $$ for a count, and nobody knows what the FN harvest is, either..

Teh Hurley/Meager area can support a population, but much of the meadows was wetlands that was drained long ago for farmland, so the nice swampy stuff moose like is more in patches here and there, rather than evenly distributed.

todbartell
10-29-2009, 12:08 AM
there is no game in pemberton..............

cainer
10-29-2009, 12:18 AM
no moose, no deer, and definitely no elk-anymore.

10-29-2009, 11:10 AM
no moose, no deer, and definitely no elk-anymore.

I remember certain areas that became parking lots in the late season...I haven't been there in quite a few years now.

mr.280
10-29-2009, 09:46 PM
I have seen many moose on the Hurley side and the South Creek side back in the late 90's. I always thought the population could support a small LEH. I don't no for shure but an old time resident once told me there was an open season on bulls for a year or two back in the 70's or early 80's and it was a slaughter,ever since then he said it never opened again?

Gilmore
10-29-2009, 09:59 PM
I have seen many moose on the Hurley side and the South Creek side back in the late 90's. I always thought the population could support a small LEH. I don't no for shure but an old time resident once told me there was an open season on bulls for a year or two back in the 70's or early 80's and it was a slaughter,ever since then he said it never opened again?

I think it was even earlier than that, early to mid 60's I believe. And yes from what i've heard it was a bit of a slaughter.

Gateholio
10-29-2009, 10:06 PM
I think it was even earlier than that, early to mid 60's I believe. And yes from what i've heard it was a bit of a slaughter.

"Moose can't live in Pemberton. Might as well shoot them all" Is what I heard.

proguide66
10-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Wolves have killed all the deer and moose......nothing left but drunk dudes driving around logging roads counting wolf tracks. Squam Timmy's is a great glassing vantage point for b tails!!:-P

Foxtail
10-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Wolves have killed all the deer and moose......nothing left but drunk dudes driving around logging roads counting wolf tracks. Squam Timmy's is a great glassing vantage point for b tails!!:-P

Don't be givin away my "spot" lol