PDA

View Full Version : the hunt? the kill? or both?

darrin6109
10-27-2009, 08:00 PM
what are your thoughts?

todbartell
10-27-2009, 08:05 PM
all of it, except the visa bill

tomahawk
10-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Cake and icing!

Gateholio
10-27-2009, 08:08 PM
If it was only about the kill, I'd tag out out pretty quick.:eek:

KB90
10-27-2009, 08:10 PM
all of it, except the visa bill

Hahaha couldn't have said it better myself, Its an expensive hobby

husky30-06
10-27-2009, 08:12 PM
I LOVE THE CHASE.... the kill just a benifit!!!!!:p:p

wolverine
10-27-2009, 08:20 PM
The chase if you will.... I love the game of wits. Certain satisfaction to beating them on their own terms. When deer get to be 4 points and above they didn't get there from being stupid. The bonus is the organic meat that I get to put in my freezer and the satisfaction knowing that if everything went right friggin sideways I would still have the skills to provide for my family.

sawmill
10-27-2009, 08:37 PM
The chase if you will.... I love the game of wits. Certain satisfaction to beating them on their own terms. When deer get to be 4 points and above they didn't get there from being stupid. The bonus is the organic meat that I get to put in my freezer and the satisfaction knowing that if everything went right friggin sideways I would still have the skills to provide for my family.

Well said.The feeling you get from bringing home the groceries is priceless.

bsa30-06
10-27-2009, 08:54 PM
I've enjoyed the chase for to many years,time to start enjoying the kill.

eaglesj
10-27-2009, 09:18 PM
I got my first game this year, all I wanted to do was shoot an elk or a moose. After calling in an elk for the second time, I got him. Now all I want to do is go back out and call them in. Definitely getting close to them is much more fun than the actual shooting. Red meat that my wife isn't allergic to doesn't hurt either.

green machine
10-27-2009, 09:25 PM
definatly the hunt, love the anticipation of looking for a buck or bear or anything

canucks6
10-27-2009, 09:46 PM
i love hunting until i kill something then it reminds me off work. i dont have the luck to kill things by roads.

husky30-06
10-27-2009, 09:51 PM
i love hunting until i kill something then it reminds me off work. i dont have the luck to kill things by roads.

:-P:-P been there before...LOL

sawmill
10-27-2009, 09:53 PM
That`s because you don`t spend enough time in the truck!

mountainman
10-28-2009, 01:08 AM
Love the hunt, the kill and even the work to get the animal out! The mental challenge to figure out the logistcs to get them to the truck and in I enjoy.

hunter1947
10-28-2009, 03:44 AM
For me it is both although I do like the hunt better then the kill http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

Bow Walker
10-28-2009, 01:32 PM
The hunt. The kill. The good eats. It's the full meal deal for me.

Also - I just love being "out" there inna da bushes.....

rocksteady
10-28-2009, 01:49 PM
I will refer you to my sig line......

10-28-2009, 01:53 PM
yin and yan
the hunt winds me up the kill winds me down
if i dont get to see something i stay wound up
if i shoot one on the road with no hunt to it i feel ripped as well.....lucky but ripped off

7mag700
10-28-2009, 03:37 PM
That`s because you don`t spend enough time in the truck!

:biggrin:

It's both the hunt and the kill. Hunt for enjoyment. Kill for food.

7m7

Phreddy
10-29-2009, 08:36 PM
Definately the hunt. A bad day in the bush beats out an excellent day in town or doing work around the place. No phones, no schedule, no wife to pass out the "honey do's".

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
10-29-2009, 08:44 PM
nothing better than good hunt with a buddy! then followed by feed of liver!!

Deaddog
10-29-2009, 08:48 PM
The hunt is the main thing, spending time in the mountains, hiking til you damn near puke and then keep on going, challenging yourself to your breaking point... not sure why but that is the main part for me, the kill is great, I love to see my hunting partners be successful, so that part of the kill rocks, and then there is the challenge of backpacking everything out.. all in all it is the adventure and the challenge.

RiverBoatFantasy
10-29-2009, 08:52 PM
The kill is always tops. The work to get there sometimes sucks. The pack out is always good regardless how heavy.

Some clean shots are best not taken.

6 K
10-29-2009, 09:07 PM
For some the fun is over and the work begins once the animal is down.
I love it all so my answer must be BOTH FOR SURE

Don't believe me?
Have a look at this photo one of my partners took on the second night of this year's moose hunting trip.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/smile.jpg

Tough to argue I was not having fun with THAT smile on my face!:D

EVERYONE OR NO ONE !

Bow Walker
10-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Up past your elbows?!? You're having waaay too much fun!

Jelvis
10-30-2009, 08:56 PM
I like the hunt and the kill but, try to control the shooting at game to make sure I don't wound the animal, because either a little too far away or running at a distance, otherwise I could gut shoot it by a slight misjudgment on the wind or aim or speed of the animal.
I like the leg, lung and heart work out in the fresh air too.
I prefer hunting with a friend to share the cost and memories, as well as a companion to share the excitement of getting in the wilds.
Jel -- I love it all -- a total package -- the full meal deal -- the real deal hollyfield --

pete_k
10-30-2009, 09:56 PM
My bro buys a Turkey from a farmer every year for Thanksgiving. I asked him to come with me on a Turkey hunt. He said there is no way he could kill a Turkey. I asked him, "what do you think you're doing when you order one from the farmer"? He's happy with not knowing the truth, and many people are.

I'm with Jel, I enjoy the whole package. Even the planning and prep.

Hunting for only 5 years, I find I'm getting slightly better each year. I go a bit deeper and stay a bit longer in the bush every year. So I also enjoy that as well.

One thing I learned. No matter how fresh those tracks are, they might as well be from last year.

BuriedByTheDead
10-30-2009, 10:09 PM
its ALLLLLL about the adrenaline rush when you see game shootable or not, we just got back from hunting 5-2c and saw 100+ deer in a week and only got 5 but it was still the best hunting trip ive ever been on...driving down a road or sitting still and having deer run out, no matter what its the adrenaline for me....not a whole lot gets my heart pounding like seeing game does

mark
10-30-2009, 10:13 PM
When I was younger, it was about the kill.
With every passing year, it becomes more about the hunt.
Ive done tons of hunting this year, and killed nothing, but having the time of my life!
As soon as I kill something, cut my tag, my hunt is over :icon_frow.
Thats no fun!
The perfect mix is killing on closing day, in the afternoon, which ive done several times! :grin:

BlacktailStalker
10-30-2009, 10:42 PM
The hunt.
I've put down the rifle to take pics 5,000 more times than I have even thought about pulling the trigger.
There is countless days I've seen nothing (animal wise) yet those days stand out 5 x more than the days I have taken something.
I'm in it for the experience, it is just a bonus if I take a "respectable representation of the species" which is what I pursue.

To me, there is no satisfaction in harvesting something just because it is with in my legal rights.

There are so many days I have packed a camera and not a rifle behind hounds as well that when showing pics I get the feeling people don't understand what I see... and rightly so because they probably don't.

Anybody who has had a doe walk up to them while motionless in full camo, wind in their favour and wriggle their nose @ 10', bug eyed, trying to "solve the problem" will understand.

Antis just dont understand us, they just look at the end result and fail to realize what they think our intent is doesn't even cross our minds 95% of the time.
Shed hunting, scouting, trail camera setting, friends, exploration, preparation, anticipation are all parts of "hunting" that leave 'highs' in a true outdoorsmans spirits at the end of the day.

boyd050
10-30-2009, 10:47 PM
every year I anticipate the hunt, the challenge, the being out in the bush with my buddies and the excitement of the sound of bugling elk, then the kill... the freezer is full yet I still go out enjoying the excitement of the hunt so Its easy to understand.... it's the hunt. pure and simple..... the kill is the culmination of anticipation and planning.... yet only a small part of the hunting experience. I will always love the hunt more than any part of the season.... :biggrin:

6 K
10-30-2009, 11:04 PM
One thing I learned. No matter how fresh those tracks are, they might as well be from last year.

Fresh tracks have lead me to live a animal many many times.

6 K
10-30-2009, 11:08 PM
The hunt.
I've put down the rifle to take pics 5,000 more times than I have even thought about pulling the trigger.
There is countless days I've seen nothing (animal wise) yet those days stand out 5 x more than the days I have taken something.
I'm in it for the experience, it is just a bonus if I take a "respectable representation of the species" which is what I pursue.

To me, there is no satisfaction in harvesting something just because it is with in my legal rights.

There are so many days I have packed a camera and not a rifle behind hounds as well that when showing pics I get the feeling people don't understand what I see... and rightly so because they probably don't.

Anybody who has had a doe walk up to them while motionless in full camo, wind in their favour and wriggle their nose @ 10', bug eyed, trying to "solve the problem" will understand.

Antis just dont understand us, they just look at the end result and fail to realize what they think our intent is doesn't even cross our minds 95% of the time.
Shed hunting, scouting, trail camera setting, friends, exploration, preparation, anticipation are all parts of "hunting" that leave 'highs' in a true outdoorsmans spirits at the end of the day.

I agree. Well said.

Barracuda
10-31-2009, 01:24 AM
for me it is more the hunt / pursuit pulling the trigger ends the fun non commital (sp) part.

One part is exciting and full of optimisim and the other is appreciation and reflection it seems.

hunt with hounds and you will see that the trigger plays a small part in the hunt .

pete_k
10-31-2009, 10:07 AM
Fresh tracks have lead me to live a animal many many times.

It was said in jest.
But thanks for sharing