PDA

View Full Version : winter springs

ratherbefishin
10-27-2009, 02:34 PM
are in-picked up 4 this morning in an hour and a half off sooke-nothing big,up to 6-8 lb,but fat and feisty-they'll make excellent table fare,good to get out on the water anyway

thunderheart
10-27-2009, 04:33 PM
oh they are so yummy .. make great pickled salmon too ... i love the whites for smoke or bbq ...

ratherbefishin
10-27-2009, 07:26 PM
does anybody fish chums off Sooke?They must be there,as I believe they go up the Sooke River.Campbell river has developed a sports fishery for them,but nobody has down here does as far as I know

ratherbefishin
11-11-2009, 08:24 AM
same again yesterday morning- used anchovies one side- a spoon the other side -5 nice winter springs all around 6-8 lb.[the last was a double header and we released the one on the spoon with a barbless single-better chance of survival]I lost one bigger one-never saw it but it took a a good run and was off]best off all -NO SEALS

Tikka270wsm
11-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Way to go. Sounds like a pretty good day. Did the weather hold out ok? It pissed rain in Duncan here off and on all day.

For chums, check for openings on the Cowichan River for Chum and Coho for Nov 15. There have been some openings the last few years and if you fish the faster water below Silver Bridge you can get some clean Chums. Bottom bouncing with chartruese wool has always worked well for me for the "Doggies".

ratherbefishin
11-11-2009, 11:22 AM
yah,we had a good day,the rain held off until 11 and we were on our way back to the dock by then anyway.Nothing wrong with chums-the FN people get them in Goldstream,I think they smoke them.I take my kids down there to watch them spear them with their traditional forked spears

Tikka270wsm
11-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Some buddies I grew up with are FN and I used to watch them spearfish. Pretty cool to watch. They could spear salmon out of deep water which took a lot of skill.
I've eaten some of the smoked salmon they made and the chum was really good. As long as they're fairly fresh (chrome gillplate) they don't turn out too mushy.

dougan
11-11-2009, 05:02 PM
if you have to piss on your hands to bait your hook its too cold for fishing go hunting instead!!!!!!!!!

BlacktailStalker
11-11-2009, 05:23 PM
if you have to piss on your hands to bait your hook its too cold for fishing go hunting instead!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol:
But winter springs are oh so good!

greenhorn
11-11-2009, 11:22 PM
does anybody fish chums off Sooke?They must be there,as I believe they go up the Sooke River.Campbell river has developed a sports fishery for them,but nobody has down here does as far as I know

The sooke river chum run ended a few weeks ago. It was a pretty good one, better than last years I think.

Want to take me fishing? I like chinook too and I can split the costs with ya :mrgreen: