PDA

View Full Version : Bobcats

slyfox
01-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Has any one ever hunted bobcats in region 2 i was thinking of trying the squamish area around the elaho i saw 2 this year in that area but i dont have dogs for hunting cats so how would be the the best way to hunt them do i have to wait for new snow to fall or call them any help would be helpful.

Bow Walker
01-11-2006, 06:59 PM
:?: What are you going to do with a Bobcat carcass? Do you plan on eating the meat? Are you a "trophy hunter?" Plan on mounting it? :?:

Why hunt them?:confused:

.270boy
01-11-2006, 07:03 PM
Sure would make a cool body mount.

todbartell
01-11-2006, 07:33 PM
What are you going to do with a Bobcat carcass? Do you plan on eating the meat? Are you a "trophy hunter?" Plan on mounting it?

Why hunt them?
the meat is not edible unless you're lost and starving. would you eat your neighbours cat? :grin:

obviously people hunt fur bearing animals for the pelt. :idea:

ex bc guide
01-11-2006, 07:33 PM
:?: What are you going to do with a Bobcat carcass? Do you plan on eating the meat? Are you a "trophy hunter?" Plan on mounting it? :?:

Not to many people eat them they are more of a trophy,I hunt them because it is legal.
Why hunt yoties?
What do you do with the carcass
Would you mount it?
Mike

mainland hunter
01-11-2006, 07:46 PM
had some dogs push em out by weaver lake, west harrison. i imagine there's quite a few in there

slyfox
01-11-2006, 08:08 PM
When u hunt full curl rams do you keep the meat and throw the horns away?

ex bc guide
01-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Mainland, when did you chase these cats up at weaver?
Mike

trigger
01-11-2006, 08:31 PM
bowwalker are you some type of anti hunting freak. this might be the wrong sight for ya. yeah im a trophy hunter.meat aswell.

Iron-Head
01-11-2006, 08:37 PM
I think everyone is kind of a trophy hunter because we all talk about how big the last critter we shot was or what a nice buck we saw today and how it sucked that you missed it so on so foth.If your a dedicated meat hunter you wouldnt take the old montser animal you would want something young and tastey.:grin: Just my 2 cents

houndogger
01-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Why hunt them? Why not?:roll: Best way Hounds man!:biggrin: I have heard of guys that say they are really good. I have never tryed one but my dogs would sure get the meat.

mainland hunter
01-11-2006, 08:58 PM
mike, it was around the last week of november

plumbob
01-11-2006, 09:02 PM
up the skagit in hope theres a lot of bob kitties,I've seen and taking them out of there.

Steeleco
01-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Not to further attack BowWalker, but we do what we do because we want to. I myself could shoot seals all day long, but obviously many wouldn't.

As far as the original post, I have seen cats and lots of sign up the top end of Sylvester road many times, and one day this past fall up the east side of Dickson lake we walked in an area hammerd with cat tracks in the snow.

As to the question of edability, why is Cougar such good table fare yet other cats are not??

Iron-Head
01-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Not to further attack BowWalker, but we do what we do because we want to. I myself could shoot seals all day long, but obviously many wouldn't.

As far as the original post, I have seen cats and lots of sign up the top end of Sylvester road many times, and one day this past fall up the east side of Dickson lake we walked in an area hammerd with cat tracks in the snow.

As to the question of edability, why is Cougar such good table fare yet other cats are not?? If i got one i have to say i would probably give it a try:grin: ill eat pritty much anything as long as it doenst carry diseases

mainland hunter
01-11-2006, 09:41 PM
has anyone ever eaten wolf. i think id draw the line there

Iron-Head
01-11-2006, 09:53 PM
Yeh i think i would stop at canines.:tongue:

BlacktailStalker
01-11-2006, 10:00 PM
LoL, I'd shoot those seals with you.

Barracuda
01-11-2006, 10:12 PM
If it wasnt always raining i would be out looking for puddy tats :mad:
Geeze do i hate the rain especially cold rain for 24 day in a row but i dont think i will dislike as much as 25 days in a row :roll: . (I thinkin forty days and forty nights sound possible lol)

3kills
01-11-2006, 10:24 PM
i dont hunt bobcats or lynx or even cougars but i would like to give it a try some time and i m sure i would probably try the meat too but most of it would be for trophy hunting i think....and the attacks on bowalker i think are uncalled for...i think bow walker is a hell of a guy and i m pretty sure he isnt no dam anti...

Gateholio
01-12-2006, 12:20 AM

BowWalker

Bobcats are considered a 'fur bearing' animal, and therfore there is no requirement to retrieve the meat.

I assume you are simply ignorant of the regulations, otherwise you would not be asking about eating it.

rollingrock
01-12-2006, 02:23 PM
I saw a few over Chehalis this year. They were huge, bigger than the one in zoo.

Jetboater
01-12-2006, 02:45 PM
I ate a lynx once, was it good, yah, would I do it again, NO, why because everytime I saw My cat for the next few months I wonder what it would taste like. I never want to picture pets as food.

4pointer
01-12-2006, 05:05 PM
I eat everything, grizzly, bobcat, even wolf. If you can stand the scent, All taste good. Wouldn't kill just for the hide.

Bow Walker
01-12-2006, 05:21 PM
I know of people who eat Cougar but have never tried it myself. I haven't even tried bear meat yet.

I just have a bit of a thingy about "wastage" although not enough of a thing to be upset about it.

Steeleco
01-12-2006, 06:17 PM
I just have a bit of a thingy about "wastage" although not enough of a thing to be upset about it.
I'd have to agree 110% on that one, but just think Mother nature waste's nothing, we just start to process. ;-);-)

I once took a bear at last light, we went back in the early morning before first light to hopefully have a try for a yote.
The spot was so clean I think they were waiting for me to leave.

ryanb
01-12-2006, 06:51 PM
On the subject of hunting bobcats I've heard that calling can be quite effective if there are cats nearby in the area. I have a couple of predator hunting books, and they say if youd stand a chance of calling a cat in you have to make a stand for at least an hour. This is why a lot of people use electronic calls for hunting bobcats. They say a white hanky on a wire is a good decoy too, place it next to an electronic caller. If you were blowing on a mouthcall for an hour you'd be pretty exhausted and dizzy.

RiverOtter
01-12-2006, 09:20 PM
I have trapped 7 so far this winter, smallest was 18lbs and the biggest was 36. If your looking to hunt them, late Jan - Feb15 when season closes is when they move the most due to their breeding season. They are no where near as wary as a coyote or wolf and if you were withinn ear shot of one, I'm sure it would come in to calling. As a trapper I can legally make a bait station, but if you come across a winter killed deer in the bush that you didn't place there you can legally hunt around it, look around for bobcat tracks and do some calling.

I have eaten cougar and loved it, but haven't gotten around to bobcat or lynx yet. Good luck with your cat hunting.

RO :)

ruger#1
01-12-2006, 10:56 PM
I seen three cougars a couple of years ago. a mother an two kittens almost her size. was about twenty yards from them,in all the twenty eight years of hunting, those are the only ones Ive ever seen, could of shot them , but the season wasn't open,Ive never seen a bob cat yet. was told there is one in our neighbor hood, have to keep an eye out. as for eating a cat . i would have to try it a at game dinner first, then decide. later

Fred
01-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Come on guys, have you ever eaten Chinese food and wondered? :confused: :rolleyes: Chicken Chow Meow, Kitty Fried Rice or Mu Goo Guy Crat, doesn't that sound yummie! :biggrin: Fred

gary mok
01-12-2006, 11:40 PM
who said cats couldn't eat? I had even eaten house cat 25 years ago but not in canada,it was in my hometown,any kinds of animal those are eatable,the point is whether you have the guts to eat or not,they're not harmful to human,now I won't eat it anymore when I have a choice.

Freshtracks
01-13-2006, 01:47 AM
I've tried cougar and bobcat. If you like game meat you'll love cougar. Bobcat is very similar. I tried coyote, not the greatest meat in a stew .... might make good pepperoni? I've even ate Beaver ... grainy, very oily and rich meat. IMO, Mountian Grizzly shouldn't be any different than Black Bear.

mainland hunter
01-13-2006, 03:47 PM
ive eaten beaver too

trigger
01-13-2006, 05:48 PM
gotta love beaver. i like mine pink in the middle

ex bc guide
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: At trigger I like mine pink as well!
Mike

Marc
01-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Keep it clean boys we've got youngins on the site.:wink:

SteadyGirl
01-14-2006, 10:02 AM
Back on the topic of bobcats. I saw two this season ( pic is in my gallery) crossed lots of tracks, and come across a few active dens. They appear to be doing quite well! I never shot one due to not having a tag at the time. Harrison, Chehalis, and the Skagit are good. I don't have hounds either so to hunt them would be a hunt of opportunity and habitat. Find out where they like to live. Timbered, rocky ridges, not too far from a water source. One of the bobcats I observed was quite content to be fishing for spawning salmon.
I think it would be something to brag about... to chase cats without the use of hounds. So keep at it!!
Half the reason I hunt is for the peace and quite. Frankly I see way to many people waiting in thier trucks for thier dogs to get onto a track to be turned on by hunting with the use of hounds. All the hounds do is chase and harass the animal untill its tired and treed. Then it gets to wait there for mr wilderness himself to come blast it out of a tree,. I see no pride in that anymore.

bushape
01-14-2006, 10:23 AM
LMAO mainland! amen , and to steeleco, 100% in agreement on seals. Ive had wayyyyy too many salmon stolen form right at the boat. Time for a cull.

Steeleco
01-14-2006, 10:52 AM
PM sent Steadygirl.

Barracuda
01-14-2006, 04:26 PM
Back on the topic of bobcats. I saw two this season ( pic is in my gallery) crossed lots of tracks, and come across a few active dens. They appear to be doing quite well! I never shot one due to not having a tag at the time. Harrison, Chehalis, and the Skagit are good. I don't have hounds either so to hunt them would be a hunt of opportunity and habitat. Find out where they like to live. Timbered, rocky ridges, not too far from a water source. One of the bobcats I observed was quite content to be fishing for spawning salmon.
I think it would be something to brag about... to chase cats without the use of hounds. So keep at it!!
Half the reason I hunt is for the peace and quite. Frankly I see way to many people waiting in thier trucks for thier dogs to get onto a track to be turned on by hunting with the use of hounds. All the hounds do is chase and harass the animal untill its tired and treed. Then it gets to wait there for mr wilderness himself to come blast it out of a tree,. I see no pride in that anymore.

You obviously have not hunted with hounds steady . wasnt it you that had wanted to hunt with hounds at one point(You PM,ed me about it)? Hunting with hounds is not simple or anything like it . hunting with the hounds is actually alot of fun as you can still pursue the animal and leave it for another day . infact I think it would be easier to call a bobcat or hunt bear spot and stalk or just drive around in your truck till you find one (How did you find your bear http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=620&cat=500&ppuser=418&sl=s), then to go to all the trouble of useing hounds.
It is no different then useing you dog for grouse! or it tipping you off about the bobcat
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=552&cat=500&ppuser=418&sl=s

Ricky
01-14-2006, 05:07 PM
As a new hunter I think they shouldn't be hunted. Most don't get eaten, what a waste of a life.

Barracuda
01-14-2006, 05:31 PM
what does it matter to the animal whether it gets eaten or not? Justification in a persons mind is what seems to makes it right or wrong .
some of us dont think deer should be hunted some dont think bears should be , etc etc . before you go pointing your finger make sure there is no blood on it (directly or indirectly)
if you live at the expense of nature then you are as guilty as the person that pulls the trigger . do you eat farmed food?(habitat destruction for crops) do you live in a house (habitat destruction for building supplies) the very fact that you exist means you are responsible for the destruction of some animals habitat so do not act Holier then thou .

Steeleco
01-14-2006, 05:37 PM
OK everyone before this thread digresses might I remind all of Rule #6

"There is to be no frowning upon a member for the method of hunting used, or the sex, age of the animal. If it's legal then it's legal no if, and, or, but!"

This thread need not be defended by those who hunt this quary. Everyone else is entitled to an opinion, It just dosen't need posting here.

ex bc guide
01-14-2006, 09:44 PM
WTF what are you thinking??? they should not be hunted and why not I am sure you are full of it as you are a NEW hunter
Mike

As a new hunter I think they shouldn't be hunted. Most don't get eaten, what a waste of a life.

Ricky
01-14-2006, 10:00 PM
I'm sorry i was just sharing my view on this subject.

Iron-Head
01-14-2006, 10:08 PM
You shouldnt judge some ones personal choice to hunt something or not to hunt something,as Steeleco said if it is *legal* its OK and you keep your opinions out of the forums.
Symon.

Ricky
01-14-2006, 10:10 PM
I've looked at the guidelines and it won't happen again

ex bc guide
01-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Thankyou
Mike

houndogger
01-14-2006, 11:01 PM
O.K. hounding is not that hard. Dogs do it all then a fat slob hunter like myself walks up and opps takes a picture for the album.:mrgreen: Well I do shoot a bear or two out for the dogs a year. If any of you think it is easy I suggest you try someday. It is like I told Timberhunter and Bearbait their first trip out. Running bear is great fun. You take them from the edge of a road or slash and run them over three mountains a few swamps, creeks and into some snot hole. Ya it is easy.:rolleyes: Just ask those fellas how fun it is to still be looking for dogs after dark. Well it might not be the easest way I have hunted bear but it sure is the funnest.

As far as bobcats and hounding is concerned it is way to complex to explain how much fun those little *******s are to run!;-)

ex bc guide
01-15-2006, 12:34 AM
I was on a great chase with the hounds today and it was no walk in the park although I did not end up with a bobacat but we did get under a racoon,
Mike

Bow Walker
01-15-2006, 09:48 AM

Don't be "sorry" ! Everyone is allowed thier opinion! The thing is NOT to attack someone else for expressing that opinion..........take notice Ex Guide.:wink:

We do not condone personal attacks or character defamation on this site!

To everyone............let's let the subject drop OK?

Sorry for spouting off Marc.

Dan.

bsa30-06
01-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Hey ex bc guide, once your dogs get these animals up a tree it must provide you with some excellent oppurtunities to get some real good photos.I think chasing these animals with hounds sounds like it would be a lot of fun, and a lot of work. I'm going to have to try it one day,sounds like a great way to spend a weekend.

Steeleco
01-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Now that I have a new Camera, I might just have to try and keep up and get some of those picture, would help to lose some on my GIRTH!! in time for Spring bear!!!

Fred
01-15-2006, 11:43 AM
Dave, if you try to walk those dogs of Mikes, you might be glad you have any extra weight!! :shock: :-D Fred

Steeleco
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
Dave, if you try to walk those dogs of Mikes, you might be glad you have any extra weight!! :shock: :-D Fred

No dummy here Fred, I bought a camera with a 12x ZOOM!!!!

ruger#1
01-15-2006, 12:02 PM
what are you talking about davide. i see your going to have to go hunting with me or go on jenny craig ha ha, i think we have to both get out and do some range roaminig.

ex bc guide
01-15-2006, 12:06 PM
[quote=BowWalker]Don't be "sorry" ! Everyone is allowed thier opinion! The thing is NOT to attack someone else for expressing that opinion..........take notice Ex Guide.:wink:

There is enough trouble with people bitching about hounsmen and to have a newbie come on and state a opinion lake that?I agree people are allowed to there own opinion, but do not come into a fourm like this and not expect to have some type of flack when you are not familiar with hunting at all,Ricky clearly states that he is a new hunter and there for has a shortage of knowledge on these animals.
Mike

bsa30-06
01-15-2006, 12:07 PM
count me in i can stand to loose some pounds too.Maybe we can design a wait loss program specifically for hunters.

black 'n blue
01-15-2006, 07:14 PM
ex bc's reponse x2. I have a very strong view on the subject ( I Guess I'm biased, I own hounds,) and would most likely be banned if I said what first came to mind when I read this post. Any hunter who looks down his nose and talks out his ass about it at what another hunter takes pride in is only providing unfounded ammo for the anti's.

ex bc guide
01-15-2006, 08:17 PM
Black 'n Blue it is hard to bite my tounge on this thread But like you said We would be banned for voiceing how we houndsmen feel on certain peoples comments,I wish it was only as easy as they think,let them go, here them tree ,run to tree!! Ha Ha I could only wish for a easy chase.My last bobcat chase went for 11 hours and 2 lost hounds wich we later found.
Mike

Gateholio
01-15-2006, 08:31 PM
*OPINIONS* are what make forums interesting.

As long as you can expres your opinion without attacking someone, it's a good thing.

When someone says "I don't like that method of hunting" or "I don't think that species should be hunted" then it should be your intention to EDUCATE these people about what aspect of that hunting method you like, or why you hunt a certain species.

Why dont' the houndsmen EDUCATE the rest of us on why hound hutning is a good thing, or why they hunt bobcats, rather than just say that they would be banned for voicing thier opinions?

You can DISAGREE without being DISAGREEABLE. That is the difference between DEBATE and MUDSLINGING. Debate is good...:-D

black 'n blue
01-15-2006, 08:54 PM
Gatehouse, with all due respect, you don't need to YELL.:p

K-1
01-15-2006, 08:59 PM
I agree with what Gatehouse is saying. Maybe a houndsman could extend a hand or a leash ,to a new hunter or a young person like Ricky (15 yr.) and show them what hounding is like. You never know ,you may create a new houndsman in your own image!!!!

Barracuda
01-15-2006, 09:07 PM

Well i would say that this is intentionally painting an inaccurate picture of a houndsperson, it is about as accurate as saying every hunter is an overweight beer guzzeling slob with a small brain and a big ego and all they do is drive the backroads looking for some poor helpless animal to blast.

My wife and i have met lora and she has personally voiced her interest in hunting with hounds to us. She told us she knew of no other hound hunters?.

If you ask anyone that uses dogs for any kind of hunting it simply adds a different level or kind of challange to the event. (just like hunting upland birds, bunnies or waterfowl with dogs)

the reason we use hounds is for the the interaction with the dogs and the physically challenging race (We dont take anyone with us unless they are in good health). We have raised them from the ground up and put years of effort into these animals more hours have been put into our dogs then most will ever spend afield .
Not every person chooses to shoot what they tree ( I know of one person that their hounds have been used for cat studies) and in all honesty if you pull the trigger the chase is gone . Cats simply put, go up a tree to evade a dog because they can and it is the simplest most natural thing for them to do (a cat could put the hurt on a dog real fast if it wanted to but instead if they feel threatend they will climb to safety). coyotes will harrass them as well as wolves as well as other predators etc.
If one form of hunting is attacked by other hunter then we simply shoot ourselves in the foot. some think that there is no need to hunt sheep or goats so why do it ?should the sheep and goat hunters be asked to defend thier position? how about grizzly bears hunters? or trappers etc..what about people that use decoys or calls to lure an animal in? or perhaps electronic calls are really the tools of the devil and real hunters dont need these fancy gizmos and that camoflauge crap .

If i decide to focus on a particular game species why should i not be afforded the same respect and courtesy as any other legally entitled hunter? Particularly by another hunter

Bow Walker
01-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Have fun with it - Enjoy it. I know it is a VERY energetic way of hunting. I used to know a cougar hunter who was a part-time C.O. as well. He was in far better shape than I will ever be, or hope to be.

All "we" look for is civility. If there are new hunters here how else can they learn if not from some of the oldtimers. Being civil is very often harder than just shooting off with the first thing that comes into your mind.

Good luck with the cats.

Dan.

SteadyGirl
01-16-2006, 10:58 PM
I don't deny that I SHOWED an interest in hunting with hounds. My statment, 'I see no pride in hunting with hounds' -> "anymore" would indicate that at one time or another, I DID have an interest in hunting with hounds. If I'm not mistaken we discussed this over a year ago.
Since that time I have learned and seen alot. For example I found a boxer/bloodhound cross? (just a guess) deceased in the woods, .. he had clearly starved to death. Also ( you may remember me telling you this) I had the displeasure of finding a dog wandering down the road from Tahmahi (popular bear hunting area), radio collared with a phone number, I met the "gentleman" as it were:roll: Well to keep it short- it was a VERY negative experience that resulted in me throwing the transmitter and information out the window on the nearest freeway exit.
Lastly I enjoy observing over the FSR's in my area from a few choice vantage points. I can see clearly what is happening on the hillsides and in the valleys below. The braying can be heard in the whole valley!!
I was not saying "don't hunt with hounds", merely giving my opinion.
Simply put, ..I don't NEED hounds to hunt, and in my opinion a good hunter hunts with the minimum he or she requires. I prefer to quietly stalk the woods and treelines, seeing whatever I see and leaving the rest undisturbed.
I haven't come across you Barracuda or your truck this year. Maybe there is a ring of truth to what you say "more hours have been put into our dogs then most will ever spend afield" Most.. but not all, and certanly not me.

Barracuda
01-17-2006, 02:34 AM
why would you pick up a dog that had a radio collar on it and take it home especially from a known hunting area?
that would fall under sect 80 of the wildlife act if you removed the dog from its area and the owner was engaged in hunting. there are a few more laws that could have been applied also. What was the date this happened?

You have a choice to engage in hunting with or without a dog but to interfere with someones dog because you disagreee with useing a dog to hunt with is wrong. (again why did you remove the dog from the area you were in?)

To condemn someone that is within the confines of the rules and regulations for useing a dog or any other method to hunt with is very closed minded. I am not going to say anyone should or shouldnt use hounds it is simply another way of hunting. and i cant speak for others but we spend time with our dogs every day and we find them to be good company

PS; Leah got a tracker and we use that to take the hounds out, if you recall my old truck got written off last year and i have almost finished a new one with all the driveline from the old truck.and the last time you said you were interested in hunting with hounds was last summer . I still say you should try it before you condemn it

houndogger
01-17-2006, 07:09 AM
Boxer Bloodhound cross????????? Not to sure of anybody using that cross. Probably was a deer.:roll: :razz: :confused: Good luck stalking around Walmart.

Clint_S
01-17-2006, 02:37 PM
I prefer to quietly stalk the woods and treelines, seeing whatever I see and leaving the rest undisturbed.
Steadygirl
You're absolutely right, hound hunting is not a way to experience nature in all it's peaceful splendor however the "braying" as you put it is the sweetest music there is to a houndmans ears. Most houndmen can easily identify each dog they own and also pretty much be able to tell you exactly what is going on just from listening to the "braying"

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and freely express them in a curteous manner and I see nothing wrong with your remarks except for one thing.
I think you are speaking from ignorance.

Treeing a lion or bear can be easy at times, other times it can be the most gut wrenching, death march it has ever been your displeasure to experience. I've seen more than one apparently fit man pack it in when it became obvious that like you he thought it was a cake walk and couldn't take it when it turned out it was far from that.

There's far more to it then you are even aware. At first maybe it's just wanting to tree a lion or bear, then after that it's maybe just getting that perfect picture, then it's watching your dogs learn and grow and become proficient at unravelling a world we as humans with our pitiful noses can only guess at, maybe it's just an excuse to extend the hunting season to a year round experience or maybe it's just a plain and simple love of dogs and nature. Whatever the reason it will cost thousands of dollars and more than a few men I know their wives yet they still do it.

I can't begin to express to you the feelings you will experience on a good hard race that ends with a nice lion or bear in a tree but I think you should at least try to experience it a few times before coming down on folks who do enjoy it. Who knows you might change your mind.

http://www3.telus.net/airedales/newsletters/mar2004files/cat%20trail.jpg

ex bc guide
01-17-2006, 07:19 PM
I gotta agree with you clint 100% I have been on several chases and yet to be on a "quick chase" although the ones that I have been on have been awsome and like you say when they are baying you sure can tell who is doing what! on my last chase I sure could tell the differense from my b&t and my red bone,
It sure was music to my ears even if it was a coon treed
Mike

rollingrock
01-17-2006, 11:55 PM
This is a quite interesting thread. Arguments over the methods of hunting among hunters aren't rare, but arguments over the morality of a legal, proficient and acient hunting method are very rare. Hounding has been used by hunters all over the world and maybe for thousands of years, but why all of a sudden we're making a big deal out of it? I just can't understand.

Think about it, why you want to use an ATV for hunting?

friendlyfisher
01-31-2006, 01:00 AM
I love hunting but if you arent planning on eating it then leave it to be, trophy hunting should be out lawed!!

Barracuda
01-31-2006, 02:28 AM
why is eating the only acceptable consumption? I would hope that hides and pelts are utilized and not discarded also . by following that train of thought i would hope that only animals that can be used in every aspect of consumption be removed for this purpose. Tan hides ,cure pelts and butcher every animal because if any single part of the animal is not used it is in effect wasting the animal as a whole because you are only useing part of it and discarding what another could use.

Steeleco
01-31-2006, 02:29 AM
I love hunting but if you arent planning on eating it then leave it to be, trophy hunting should be out lawed!!

The last thing we need as hunters is fighting amongst ourselves??
To kill an animal for any reason is taboo for many, your killing one for it's flesh is no more right to some, that you opinion on trophy hunting!!!

I don't hunt cat's but I'm not nocking those that do either.

Ddog
01-31-2006, 03:31 AM
i loved reading this post, originally it was a question that turned to an arguement,that sorta almost got back on track, I laughed at some of the replies ('cause they were really funny) and agreed with some and disagreed aswell. truthfully though i dont think the original question was answered, wish i could answer it but i dont hunt cats although i always buy my tags for them just in case the opportunity arises. I would love to shoot a bobcat and get a full body mount done on it as far as eating the meat goes, well i would try it if i liked it i would keep it if i didnt lots of you would be getting to try it to!
as far as "if your not going to eat it you should let it be" goes..i shoot starlings,bullfrogs,opposums,squirrels and cottontails on a regular basis and only keep some of the rabbit meat, why do i shoot them? because i can and they are in my yard and it is excellent practice with my bow!and i am also trying to keep them in check way to many of all of those things.

houndogger
01-31-2006, 06:37 AM
Well my dogs that will be doing all the work on the hunt will eat it. They are on a raw meat diet and by feeding them the odd kitty only makes them want to catch more.:wink:

greybark
01-31-2006, 11:42 AM
:lol: Well this houndsman had a surplus pack of excellant hounds for sale . These dogs grew up together and he wanted to sell them as a group.
One cold and sharp day he took out the dogs to demonstrate to a potential buyer how good they were and how loud their baying and howling was .
They found a fresh track and let the hounds go . For 15 min the air filled with loud baying and howling much to the delight of the owner who proudly pointed out the much coveted trait.
:wink: Suddenly the loud baying and howling stopped for 10 min then started up again and the potential buyer was not impressed and pointed that out.
:tongue: The houndsman told him to be quite and listen carefully because the hounds had just crossed Posted land

Gateholio
01-31-2006, 12:12 PM

I guess you didn't read the whole thread?:confused:

Why don't you start a thread about your views of 'trophy' hunting? It may be educational, and it will certainly be entertaining.

NEEHAMA
01-31-2006, 12:42 PM
canada was formed with hunting and trapping for both food and trade ie. (beaver hides) i love my country. there should a national holiday where we all learn how to trap, hunt , and hound!! anyone whom does not agree with trophy hunting etc i want all your adddress i'm coming over to your houses i want to look in all of your closets. if i find any leather jackets etc. your going to get an ear full! if i don't find any then i will shut my mouth and go home...lol!!:D

Steeleco
01-31-2006, 02:56 PM
Don't for get the boots!! and snazzy shoes!!

3kills
01-31-2006, 05:19 PM
oooh ooh dont forget belts....

palmer
01-31-2006, 05:36 PM
Well I got my Bobkitty by using a call last year..he was very nice over 30 pounds...and no i did not eat him...but i am getting a nice mount...I plan to do it again this year ..maybe tomorrow...I have had lots of success using the rabbit call to bring them in... they are fun to hunt and I would recommend it...a bad days huntin is better than a good days anything...

huntwriter
01-31-2006, 07:28 PM
The way we learned it at the butcher school it, that you can eat any meat from herbivores and omnivores but not that of carnivores and the last time I checked a bobcat was still a carnivore.;-)

In fact some years back I ate some tiger meat in China and it just wouldn't stay in my stomach. As a child I ate dog meat, same thing.

I do not know where some come up with the issue of "waste". What's waisted? It's not like you going to kill 100 bobcats or other fur bearers and then leave the carcass in the woods rotting away. Here we are talking about one or two animals at the most. Besides, as has been stated before, in nature nothing gets waisted it will become a meal of others.

My opinion is that as hunters we should be concerned about how we hunt and what we do with the kill. But we should not be over concerned and hang on every single issue the "ethics" tag. For some this ethics thing has become like a religion and at times it dsturbs me that every single thread on this forum ends in a debate about ethics. It's not necerssary and dosn't do any good for our hunting heritage, the oposite it helps to bring it down.

LOC
02-07-2006, 09:32 PM
Here is a question.. it may be obviouse but... when you bunch a kitty tag do you mark it as antlerless or does it really matter??