PDA

View Full Version : Sending rifles through mail

cowboy-up69
01-11-2006, 06:08 PM
Hey, I think I seen this thread on here before, but couldnt find it. But can u send rifles (say a .22 for example) through the post office to someone else in BC, like do they check to see whats in the box and stuff like that?
Can someone let me know?!
Cliff

guntech
01-11-2006, 06:27 PM
It is perfectly legal to mail unloaded long guns. I have found it best to make the package as small as possible. Take the metal out of the wood to make it shorter. Pack it well, wrap it with plain paper. The post office does not insure for damage - only loss of package. That means if they deliver the box, broken all to hell and rattling about, empty or not, they have done their job.

I have used them for 30 years and have had no problems with a well packed and well addressed box. I don't insure it for more than the minimum $100 usually.

brotherjack
01-11-2006, 06:28 PM
It is perfectly llegal to ship rifles, so long as you send them via "the most secure method" available from Canada Post, or some such thing I recall reading in the firearm reg's.

Mauser98
01-11-2006, 06:29 PM
It's perfectly legal to send a firearm through the mail. Here's what the law has to say about shipping by post. It is also allowed to send a restricted by post.

Do not identify the parcel as containing a firearm and don't tell anyone at the Post Office - it's none of their business.

SHIPPING BY POST
16. (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/fr/F-11.6/DORS-98-209/16298.html#article-16) An individual may ship a firearm by posting it only if
(a) the firearm is a non-restricted firearm;
(b) the destination is within Canada; and
(c) the firearm is posted using the most secure means of transmission by post that is offered by the Canada Post Corporation that includes the requirement to obtain a signature on delivery.

cowboy-up69
01-11-2006, 06:59 PM
Alrighty, thanks guys for the info!! Learn somethin new everydat! :grin:
Cliff

Gateholio
01-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Canada Post will ship handguns now, as well.

I've shipped lots of guns via Canada Post, with never a problem.

Pack it well, and insure it to what you think is appropriate. I've never had to use the insurance, but it's fairly inexpensive.

CP, is, IMHO, better than most couriers to ship with. Ask fpr a signature at the end, an additional $2 charge.:D

Steeleco
01-11-2006, 09:27 PM
I've sent and recieved quite a few rifles in the mail, all of the above posts are right on the money. But to add, I always insure for the NEW gun price not the purchase price it's only a couple of bucks more. Like Guntech stated smaller is better, a package over 36" long is subject to a surcharge.
And a big AGREE on the signature req'd it cover the ASS of both parties.