PDA

View Full Version : Immy help---- Im desperate

madtrapper85
10-27-2009, 12:28 AM
On thurs I'm going to be heading up to merritt, off the connector for my 4rth hunting trip to find myself an immy until the 31st. Last time I was up there I was tracking two moose in fresh snow, but never got sight of them so have no clue if their an immy or a cow. I've study maps and check loads of grounds found tracks and good spot but everytime i choose to bunker down i don't see a thing. Only see does when driving into spots to hike.

If some one could give me some help I would really appreciate it, I'm a young hunter and kinda new at this never shot a deer or a moose (actually passed up a couple 2x2 mulies to wait for a bigger one this year) and have only shot a bear to this point. so game meat is down and need some good meat in the fridge.

As of right now im going to be heading up there by myself. any info or help would be awesome. thank guys for any support, this is my cry for help!

bighornbob
10-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Good luck on the immy. Your chances are slim of finding one but they do happen. Most immys are shot by chance encounter or by guys that found one earlier in the season and hunt the area hoping for its return.

If you want some good meat forget the moose and dump one of those 2x2's you saw if you get another chance.

BHB

curt
10-27-2009, 08:32 AM
My first piece of advice would be never be so desperate for game it takes the fun out of hunting if you need meat that bad go to save-on foods!!! Secondly sounds like you are not doing anything wrong you have seen moose sign so now it's just a case of seeing the moose. Spike fork bulls are not the easiest thing to find so you just have to be persistant and hope for the best!! If your in moose country you will see moose watch the edges of xmas tree cut blocks that where they live!!

Rob
10-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Next time dont pass up the little bucks if meat is an issue. Ive been out looking for immy's as well, but have had no luck as of yet. Still lots of bucks being taken though. where abouts are you hunting?

Stone Sheep Steve
10-27-2009, 09:37 AM
The great thing about Reg 3 is you can get out there in October and look for an immie and dump any muley buck that you run into.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Calvin_s_2009_Muley_008.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15565&ppuser=1509)

Don't give up and don't pass up any bucks if meat is an issue.....especially if Reg 3 is not your home region.

SSS

gary murray
10-27-2009, 11:00 AM
The guys are right. Immys are hard to find. There's a lot of us hunters more experienced than you that still haven't filled their moose tags either including myself. I'm seeing lots of big bulls and cows but that's it. My friend was out looking for mulies about 2 weeks ago and stumbled upon an immy and filled his tag. It's pure chance. If it makes you feel a little more at ease, my fiance works in a butcher shop here in Penticton that processes wild game and they got two immys from the Coquihala connector brought in to them this year so they are out there. If it was easy to get one then hunting wouldn't be any fun but one of these days you will get your chance whether it's this weekend or next season.

madtrapper85
10-28-2009, 12:19 AM
Thanks guys for all the advice. For sure it what makes it fun all the stalking and the sitting and the hiking. I absolutly love it, a main reason why I choose to move back from Ireland.

I definitly wont pass up anything else I see (as long as it's legal lol) the conector isn't too far, only a couple hours away from chilliwack. I like it alot better up there for hunting so much more open.

Does calling work with immy's or should I avoid it? Im going to be heading up there on thurs and going to stay till sat work hard and try and get something.

Hows the weather up there, a lot of snow dump?

Steeleco
10-28-2009, 12:29 AM
They closed the Coq overnight Monday into Tuesday morning because of the snow. But if you can get in there, go for it. any tracks should be fresh if it's continued to snow.

I saw two legal bulls in my week around Peterhope lake, but they were gone faster than my ability to ID them safely. They are around, but you need to be good and lucky!!!

Bushy
10-28-2009, 06:27 AM
Below 3000 the roads are ok, 3000- 4500 snow over ice in shaded areas, above that snow, noisy snow, another dump tonight and in the morning tomorrow.
An immy found the back of a truck yesterday Merritt region.

Good luck

RB

Ltbullken
10-28-2009, 09:06 AM
When you call, instead of making the nasaly "waaahh" sound, make a nasaly sound like this, "heeere eeemmeee, eeeeemmmeeee". Other than that, buy a lottery ticket 'cause yer chances are better! Good luck! :roll:

3kills
10-28-2009, 12:14 PM
i seen a immy last night...think he was tryin to move into the cow i seen just after that they were only a couple hundred yards apart...

Stone Sheep Steve
10-28-2009, 12:16 PM
i seen a immy last night...think he was tryin to move into the cow i seen just after that they were only a couple hundred yards apart...

...and you didn't shoot him??

SSS

Gateholio
10-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Go deer hunting, and shoot an immy if you see it!

Rob
10-28-2009, 02:30 PM
...and you didn't shoot him??

SSS

He already slaughtered a poor innocent Moose Calf.:biggrin:

HD95
10-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Go deer hunting, and shoot an immy if you see it!
Now theres some good advice....

3kills
10-28-2009, 08:33 PM
He already slaughtered a poor innocent Moose Calf.:biggrin:
ya what he said :twisted:

Stone Sheep Steve
10-28-2009, 08:36 PM
ya what he said :twisted:

Right. I forgot.

Go figure:rolleyes:

SSS

madtrapper85
10-29-2009, 10:13 AM
Well guys thanks for all the advice and support. Next three days i'm going to push hard and see what happens. Look on sunday for any stories etc. Thanks again guys and I will talk to ya all on sunday

Stone Sheep Steve
10-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Well guys thanks for all the advice and support. Next three days i'm going to push hard and see what happens. Look on sunday for any stories etc. Thanks again guys and I will talk to ya all on sunday

It's snowing like a bugger again. Be prepared.

SSS

Fisher-Dude
10-29-2009, 12:18 PM
It's snowing like a bugger again. Be prepared.

SSS

Just got a report of 1 1/2 feet plus of snow on the westside and still coming down hard - highly unlikely anyone will be able to get into moose country with a dump like that. Looks like I'll be wiping my ass with my moose tag again this year (I'll remove the staples first). :cry:

Stone Sheep Steve
10-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Just got a report of 1 1/2 feet plus of snow on the westside and still coming down hard - highly unlikely anyone will be able to get into moose country with a dump like that. Looks like I'll be wiping my ass with my moose tag again this year (I'll remove the staples first). :cry:

Could be a greasy ride home:?.

SSS

sparkymacker
10-29-2009, 12:44 PM

A friend of mine was above Brenda and had a similar story. Unbelievable amount of snow for this time of year. Going to be hard to get into the deer hunting areas if it does not melt.