PDA

View Full Version : newbies first time out!!!!!

husky30-06
10-26-2009, 08:57 PM
My quebec friend got his first taste of BC hunting this past weekend. (HOOKED FOR LIFE:-P:-P) first day we went out to the area my dad frequents and were able to get out for a walk or two int he snow. not much to see the first hunt but he was able to see some of the terrain that we hunt. had a small buck double back on us while we made our way around a small older cut block. Later we talked with a few hunters in the area and found one that made good on his LEH.... four point bull down, at about 100 yrds off the road. We travelled a side road that noone had been down..... as we were making our way through, I looked over my shoulder down a new skid trail..... one...two...three....four....five and six deer jump accross full out. we stopped, loaded up and started our way to the area to see who was around. found two very large buck tracks cruising heavy into the trees.... WHATTHE HELL, LETS GO GET'M!!!! as we made our way through the trees I am talking to him about everything to watch for, right left, over there over here!!!! these guys were criss crossing each other as we made our way through the bush. on several occations we were able to gat a glance at the group moving through the trees ahead of us. after three km we decided that they were heading to far in for us at this time and turned back for the truck. for the afternoon we made our way into a different area and walked about two km into a cut block and jumped another big buck but when we went down to try to push him out to my dad he went up and so no go.........
sunday was even more fun.....27 deer five bucks and four grouse.... now "frenchy" :-P....... he was game for just about anything.... so in the early morning we made our way out near kamloops..... after passing several trucks slowly makoing their way up the road we cruise by them heading for higher areas. as I came up on a gas pipe line... I spotted several does at the tree line and as we stopped ot glass a bit more I see a huge buck step out into view..... we pull our guns and start to head after him.... I flag down this other truck and ask if he had a doe draw. it was justa young guy out on his own..... I asked if he had ever shot a deer, he said no!!!! well lets go!!!! I set the two boys up on the edge of the trees as I head up and try to push the group down to them for a shot at the bucks. no luck!!!!! another hunter driving.... pulled off the main road and drove his truck up the road skid trail above us causeing the deer to bolt for the hills above me!!!!!:mad::mad: well we finally make our way to my hunting area and head for a cut block that will have a good sized two and three points for frenchy..... we set up for the long stock into the end of the cut block. after about twenty minutes we finally get to the first knoll for a quick view of who is home.... not more than 100 yrds was a doe with two fawns....we watch them for a bit and try to figure an approuch with out the doe alerting the others.... we slowly make our way around behind them as we glass the far end of the cut block..... from about 600 yrds I spot three deer feeding and two others slowly making their way away from us. all of a sudden four more deer take off full speed for the timber.... just then two hunters imerge from the trees just about 100 yrds from the deer..... our stock is fubared..... out we go!!!!!
as the day wore on we we finally make our way into another area to explore a cut block form last year. we make our way in and on our way back we cut into the trees to see where all the deer travel to.... and yet agian another buck jumped... we track him through the trees and out into the cut block. as the snow was falling...lol.... blowing accross our view... we track the buck out with a doe and find only the doe standing in the cut block.... we all sit for a moment and take a break and carry on to the truck. now there is about three or four inches of snow on the ground and failing light we start to head for home. making our way out we cross four deer on the road... off they go into the trees. alittle further down the road (about 2km) standing in the middle of the road was a big four by four mulie... with several inches of snow on the road it takes about 15' to come to a stop and as we bail out the buck takes off around the corner and into the trees... GONE:sad:!!! on we go... cruising out the back way to the main road we come accross a doe standing 100' off the road...agian we bail out and look around for any buck... after she takes off we head over to check tracks and sure enough a buck had been with her but had cleared the area before we came into view..... finally our last light. we came accross three deer..... two does and a small buck, the problem was that they were long necked and wearing big WHITE necklaces...(white tail) or so I thought... when they took off they bounded like a mulie and no flag!!!!!!:confused::confused: anyhow.... that is the first weekend of hunting for the newbie frenchy now he wants to go every day..... next weekend!!!!!!

sapper
10-26-2009, 09:06 PM
Impressive. That does sound like an exciting first time out, or second or third.

Blainer
10-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Sounds like lot's of opportunity.
Look forward to pictures in the near future.

hunter1947
10-27-2009, 04:35 AM
Keep the head up the next time out will be different..