PDA

View Full Version : Caribou area mulies

Spampy
10-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Just spent the last three days in the Caribou around 108 Mile. Many, many does but only saw one spike buck. If that is the case, he has his work cut out for him. Talked to a few hunters who had concerns about not seeing any bucks. Too early for the area? Is there a better time? Sure love this place. Back to the wet coast tomorrow.

Fisher-Dude
10-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Yup, too early. The does usually move into the traditional rutting areas a few weeks before the bucks, although the odd small buck will tag along with them. I had hunted my region 5 spot for 4 days the first time I was there, seeing few bucks but enough does to keep it interesting...on the 5th day, I saw 9 bucks! :shock: What a transformation! A heavy-bodied 6x4 came home that trip.

Patience. Give it a couple of weeks. :wink:

Gun Babe
10-26-2009, 07:43 PM
We spent 14 days hunting 5-1 for bucks....only two we saw were beside a house.

Not too many does were seen either.

But it was an adventure just getting out in the wilderness that was the best part. Seeing a few moose, a coyote, and getting a few grouse made up for any lack of getting deer meat in the freezer.

BearStump
10-26-2009, 07:48 PM
yah, it pays to know alittle about an area. we went to 5-1 last oct and didnt see a single buck in 7 days of hunting. then was told by a buddy that has a cabin in he area that the deer seem to move out of that area and down towards barriere that time of year. would have been good to know BEFORE wasting my only week off last year.

Brian011
10-26-2009, 07:51 PM
Yah still a bit early, another week and a half to 2 weeks and the big bucks will start showing up around all the does. I've hunted the 100 mile/108 area all my life and I never have any luck with big bucks until nov. I've got six decent 4 points in the last three years in that area and all were in November. This year with the season change Ill only be able to go after one though.

hillclimber
10-26-2009, 08:09 PM
5-1 can be a tricky MU to hunt. I have a cabin there and end up hunting in 3-30 anyways. But I would like to hunt moose in 5-1 if I would ever get a damn LEH!

Shooter
10-26-2009, 08:40 PM
We were in the 100 mile area for the last week of Oct last year. Only saw one buck all week. Managed to bring him home with us at least.

cariboobill
10-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Hello:

I live here and hunt the area as well as shed hunt in the spring to find areas that hold big deer. This year I have seen more deer than ever. Less hunters for sure. If you want big deer around this area, November is the best month to find the big boys coming to the winter areas. Until mid/late November, you will find resident bucks around, but they are soon shot by locals and lucky hunters.

Mid to late October the deer seem to be in the woods and not in the open. Thus many report not seeing deer. November snow brings them out and down the mountains.

Region 5 is large and has many good spots, but you need to get your own little spot to focus on and learn the deer habits. October Hunting near roads may bring luck, but hunting away from roads will bring better luck.

This year it is warmer and many deer are not moving until late in the day.

Good Luck

takla1
10-27-2009, 05:47 PM
im just back from the cariboo for the second time this season.first trip,nice two point ,decent size and a doe{draw] oct 1 st for three days huntin,seen many does,then one evening two bucks came out to the tree line,hence the two pointer.Other buck bolted.this last weekend we got another doe,draw as well,ist morning out then on sunday evening i had a big bodied mulie buck,four point ,come out before noon,down wind ,and bolted before i could get a shot.Snows starting to fly there so the bigger bucks should start showing soon

Spampy
10-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Last hour of the hunt, I hunted my way back to the truck. Through a clearing, three does browsing their way toward me. I stayed steady and they were curious enough to come within 30 yards. Head bobbing and trying to figure out what I was for about 10 minutes, or it seemed that long. I finally had to talk to them, "Who's your Daddy", Where's you Daddy". Whatching them bound off and snort/scream was worth the price of admission. What do you call the sound a doe makes? Incredible!
Will try for a doe draw next year, just in case. And be there in November sounds like the ticket. Thanks for the info guys.