PDA

View Full Version : Missed a big buck???

steepNdeep
10-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Buck of my dreams… will have some company and is safe for another year. :evil:

Early season closer to home has been good, chasing some bucks in their bachelor groups. I've passed on eight 4x4's and focussed on a big, wide typical - getting close 3 times, but he beat me in the thick timber, the last time at 40 yards... My partner killed one of his buddies the first morning while I called it for him in the binos.

It's been 3 years since I got to hunt my favourite late season muley spot - I've been too late for the elevation and/or snowed out the last 3 years. This year, I was determined to hit it right and my timing was good. On 2 hours sleep, I arrived the first morning and got set up as the stars started to fade. I glassed the basin below me in the fading darkness with the anticipation of a kid on Christmas morning. From this very spot, I had my sights on the last buck of my dreams, Louis, which is short for Louisville - as in baseball bats, He was a grand-daddy typical who probably fathered the deer in my avi. I had him in my sights at 350 yards for a minute, but was shaking too much with adrenaline to steady the crosshairs… a fact that has haunted me for 5 years.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2622/4047775565_cbe94a5fa9_o.jpg

Anyways, I glassed for ~1.5 hours and did not spot a single frickin' deer… something was seriously wrong. I moved to another spot on the other side, closer to the bedding area and got set up. After glassing for another 1/2 hour and not seeing sh!t I was pissed right off. Just as I was ready to give up, I spotted a big bodied deer near the bottom. His head was down, but I was sure that it was a buck. I switched to the spotter and when he picked his head up out of the brush my jaw dropped. Holy sh!t!! He was a MASSIVE, palmated non-typical that carried his mass out to the tips. I tried to stay calm as I quickly switched from the glass to my rifle. I settled in on my pack, dialled him in and waited for a standing broadside… when he stopped, I squeezed one off. At the shot he seemed unscathed and moved down behind a big pine looking up for the source. The does got nervous and moved down behind a bluff and then he disappeared with her.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2551/4048518516_6670a8b8fc_o.jpg

I moved over to get a clear view down to his escape route to the bedding area and set up the spotter. I could see the does periodically milling around behind the bluff and behind a little pine tree I spotted what looked like a set of antlers in the bush. Dialling the spotter into 45x I watched and eventually the branches turned! It was a dark horned typical ~180, but all that I could see was his antlers above the bush. Then a doe walked back up into view and I knew the buck would soon follow. Sure enough the big non-typical came up and stood behind the big pine. I got ready for the shot as the doe fed up and around. The big guy followed as the typical watched from behind the bush. The other does started to head for the bedding area in a ravine just below a big orange bush. Suddenly, another big typical appeared in the ravine, standing broadside between the two bucks. Just as quickly as he appeared, he bolted down into the timber. I could periodically see the heads of the does in the ravine as I waited for another opportunity at the clearly dominant non-typical. He stopped briefly broadside and I fired... by the time I regained my sight picture he was gone…

I was pretty sure that I'd missed cleanly, but I went down into the canyon to make sure. I scoured the area and found no sign of blood. What surprised me was that the ravine that looked like 20, turned out to be ~100 yards wide! I ate lunch and glassed the other side of the canyon. After that I headed into the jungle timber towards their bedding area. I worked my way towards the top calling periodically, but nothing. The place was loaded with dozens of huge fresh rubs!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2704/4048518402_ac0562e895_o.jpg

My partner arrived that night and I told him about the days events. I named the massive non-typical "Blade" 'cause his antlers were like thick blades of a hockey stick - 2-3x as thick as the other big typical bucks down there. I ranged the big pine tree and was significantly off in my distance estimation. With the new information, we were waiting on the bluff the next morning. I doubted much would show after yesterday's shots and I was right. Zero deer in the basin. About an hour after light, I caught a glimpse of movement by the big pine. Up went the binos and it was Blade, but he was moving fast and made the ravine before I could get the scope on him… Next year, I'll be waiting with the rangefinder and the flattest bullets that I can find for the .338. Until then I'll have to take a whitey meat buck for the freezer and I'll resort to chasin' Blade and Louis in my dreams.

frenchbar
10-26-2009, 05:44 PM
cool story steep too bad ya couldnt put him down ..but thats hunting..sighting them big hammers is what keeps us muley nuts going ..hope you can get a bead on him next yr ,sounds like a good one .thanx for sharing .and yes ive missed some hammers in my day ..it only stings for a short while ..then you get over it.lol.

sawmill
10-26-2009, 06:12 PM
I shot right over a monster 8x9 mulie in Pouce Coupe 25 years ago.I know how big he was because 2 days later he got hit by a truck on the hiway and I got a close up look:icon_frowI`ll never forget him.

Brambles
10-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Hey steep, I'm just about in tears reading this story, that really sucks. Glad to hear you found deer haven but sorry to hear you missed a Pig buck.

BlacktailStalker
10-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Great story, thanks for sharing.
Looking forward to next years sequel :)

BCrams
10-26-2009, 07:01 PM
I feel your pain Steep. Great story and spectacular bucks you described. I would be doing everything I could to get in there again. If not, there will be a great chapter to add next year!!

Your accounts of hunting deer in this location are among the most exciting I have read.

.308win
10-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Yep, about 5 years ago I took 5 shoots and got 5 clean misses on a beauty 4x4!!:eek: Found out a few days later that my forestock screw was loose, and the barrel was moving about a 1/4" up and down!!!!:oops::oops:

Cool story and pics by the way!!

Perry

steepNdeep
10-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks guys! The poll numbers and your stories make me feel a little better, but I am choked! I thought that I might have bumped my scope a while ago, so I went to the range on Friday before I left. It was right on out to 320 yards... so it was all me. :evil:

At the range, I ran into a highschool buddy that I hadn't seen for a decade or so. He had just got back from his annual muley hunt and shot a meat 4x4. He missed his opportunity at the big one, but said that they were fighting and rutting with the does. One of his bucks is actually the first story in this edition of Big Buck Mag. The bucks in my area were definitely rutting too... get out there!

BCBucks - Thanks! I wish that i could camp on those bucks and hunt them a week straight like some... but running a business and young kids at home put a serious damper on extended trips. I think it'll be snowed out by next weekend. Enjoy your freedom. I look forward to reading about your crew bucks this year!..

Rattler
10-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Great story! I too have missed a monster typical Muley and he will haunt my dreams forever. Good luck and keep us posted on your adventures.

1/2 slam
10-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Missed 2 in 10 seconds years ago:eek:. Thats why it's called hunting, not killing.

Gilmore
10-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Nine Mile Ridge 2004, BIG 5x5 4 shots....even my horse was rolling his eyes at me. Makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it.:cry:

mark
10-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Ive missed several dream bucks over the years, if you hunt long enough, it will happen to everyone!
When you want it as bad as I do, buckfever never really goes away!
The adrenalin rush I get when I see a hammer buck makes me feel like Im 14 again, "buck fever city", I love it! :smile:
I agree, things are heating up early this year, screw immy's, im starting on mulies!

todbartell
10-26-2009, 09:05 PM
in 2004 I missed a 160 class whitey, caught me off guard as I was waiting out a rain storm hunkered under a spruce. all of a sudden there was a big buck running across the field downwind of me, my rifle was leaning against a tree 10 feet away. By the time I got the rifle, fumbled a round into the chamber, took a wobbly rest off a pecker pole, he was walking straight away right at the edge of the timber @ 150 yards. I went for his neck, but missed :(

Caveman
10-26-2009, 09:59 PM
I missed a monster several years ago. I'm sure he was taken that same year and he was well over 200 non typical and has actually been posted here. The fact is he did have a buddy that was with him, but I have yet to see him again, and he was not a whole lot smaller.

leadpillproductions
10-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Missing big ones really do suck .I feel your pain, i missed a booner tipical wt deer years ago once i got calmed down he was running 100 miles an hour missed by a couple feet ,STILL HAUNTS ME !!!!!!

landphil
10-26-2009, 10:32 PM
I didn't vote in the poll 'cause it doesn't have a fit for me - It was monster mulie that towered over the nice 4x4 and does it was with - it stood and stared at me at less than 75 yards until I got bored and had to drive away - a few weeks before the season opened.:cry::cry:. I didn't even have a camera - but I guess that's good since it can continue to grow in my stories:cool: One buck that I will NEVER forget!

huntwriter
10-26-2009, 10:43 PM
I think every hunter that has been hunting for a number of years has missed a big buck, I know I have and quite often it was the ones that should have been a easy target. Just last year I missed a buck because I was not prepared for it that he would step out 10 yards in front of me rather than the 70 yards I assumed he would. Lesson learned. Never assume what deer do and be ready for anything at any time.:wink:

Shermdog
10-27-2009, 01:31 AM
I missed on a big boy 3 weeks ago in region 3. Startled him in tall regrowth area and didnt see him untill he ran away, wouldnt stop for a whistle and was in the timber by the time I had my rifle up looking for a decent shot.....Still can picture that huge rack bouncing away....He was a nice full wide 4pt

hunter1947
10-27-2009, 04:10 AM
I have missed a few big mossy back bucks in my hunting days and I might miss a few more before I hang the gun to rest.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-27-2009, 04:19 AM
Can't say I've missed a huge buck...a decent buck or two through the yrs....but nothing huge.
There are a couple of images burned into my brain of huge bucks but no shots were taken.

Great story, S'n'D!!
Rangefinder and bipod:wink:.

I think you're right about getting snowed out this yr. I made it out for a quick hunt after work yesterday and it was snowing like crazy! At least 6" and 4" of it were when I was there(4500' level). Was supposed to snow all night, too.
Cough....cough...sneeze....I'm think I sould call in sick:redface:.

SSS

frenchbar
10-27-2009, 05:45 AM
Ive missed 3 HAWG muleys back in the 80s ....i can still remember them like yesterday..one old warrior non typ that would have been over 200 easy on Big sheep mnt..man it sucked to be me that day:frown:
I remember lying on the side of the mnt with a couple good freinds in total shock ..i dought that buck survived the winter..looked pretty cool tho as he skylined and bounded over the ridge ..

boxhitch
10-27-2009, 06:43 AM
Voted No.
I can't say I ever miss anything
But a couple have not been found after the shot

takla1
10-27-2009, 06:50 AM
missed a beaut on sunday just before noon,came out down wind of my blind,75 yrds,winded me and bolted across the opening to my left.....happened soooo fast ,i couldnt find him in my scope as he made the bushline.counted 4 pts on the one side,heavy,tall rack!Ive been kickin myself since!

ELKOHOLICBC
10-27-2009, 06:55 AM
I missed 2 big whitey bucks over the years and 1 big blacktail. I also missed a great big 6x6 elk one year.:frown: God dam buck fever. Thats what keeps you going back for more.

steepNdeep
10-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Great story, S'n'D!!
Rangefinder and bipod:wink:.

I think you're right about getting snowed out this yr. I made it out for a quick hunt after work yesterday and it was snowing like crazy! At least 6" and 4" of it were when I was there(4500' level). Was supposed to snow all night, too.
Cough....cough...sneeze....I'm think I sould call in sick:redface:. SSS

Actually, I have a gun bracket adapter that my dad machined for my tripod. I couldn't find it before I left... I need to buck up for bino's and a new rangefinder anyways... anyone try out the new Zeiss bino's with built-in rangefinder???

Brent, I hope that you're out there today... with the fresh snow and cold snap should be sweet out there! Happy hour is early this year...

Wow, no wonder the big bucks are already going warp speed like 'yotes when I see them by the road! Based on this poll, we are doing a good job educating them... :roll: :biggrin:

Wild one
10-27-2009, 10:05 AM
I missed the biggest non typical mule deer I have seen with my bow west of Brooks Alberta do to not checking my sights after a I fell the day before:mad:. I learned from this and now If I think I have even bumped my sights a bit I check them.

muleychaser
10-27-2009, 10:05 AM
I missed 1 big one once that haunts me, but my funniest one happened once when my brother and I hiked into a spot before sunrise. We layed under a fallen tree all camoed up for 2 hours with nothing moving. I had to take a piss so i got up, leaned my gun against a tree and proceeded to releive myself. I looked up and no more than 30 feet away were 2 bucks staring at me. As I stood there in all my glory I looked at my gun 15 feet away and back at the bucks. I made a break for the rifle and my brother got quite a show as my pants kept falling farther down as I ran for the gun. Didn't get nothing but still get a good laugh over the look on my brothers face.:eek:

10-27-2009, 10:24 AM
I've just got over it.....thanks
now i got to go through it all again.

took my buddie out to Creston once looking for deer, elk etc. Found a herd of bucks. 2 forks two three pts a couple spikes. lookin for the four. Buddie hasnt shot a deer yet in his life. Well through the long stalk my friend has developed a major case of buck flu. Then mr 4x4 nice buck stands in the x
"boom!" down by me. Buddie was too wide eyed to do it. Buck was a good 4pt but not huge, he beat out a 6x6 at the club because of his symetry.
any way at my shot a 5x5 of world class, mr. fricken huge, i've shot 150 class mulies and this destroys them, stands up. I look at my buddie my buddie looks at me and says "i cant" his eyes are saucers and he is visably shaking. no i didnt shoot really i didnt.
Back at camp i had a chat with him about buck fever. That evening we went for a road hunt for chickens, but found a 2x3 whitie. Buddie jumps out of the truck shoots and misses i yell "reload" (he tubbed one rnd exiting the truck) he yells " i only have one" WTF ONE?! he runs to the truck. Grabbs a mit full, runs down the road. Deer stops and buddie shoots again. Down goes whitie up goes rifle over his head and yells " wah hoooo" man the good the bad and the ugly.
jhonny big buck still walks this earth behind creston

showtimebc
10-27-2009, 10:56 AM
great story SteepNDeep, tough luck there.

I'm young and don't have the experience most members have here on HBC, but it seems everyone will have a few big bucks get away in their hunting lifetime.

Personally I'm still lookin for Mr.Big and have passed up many bucks till this point in the season hoping I can connect on my biggest buck to date. If I get that chance, I hope I don't miss, but I can garuntee my nerves will be skakin and the heart will be pumpin when I see that big buck!!

showtimebc
10-27-2009, 11:00 AM
I missed 1 big one once that haunts me, but my funniest one happened once when my brother and I hiked into a spot before sunrise. We layed under a fallen tree all camoed up for 2 hours with nothing moving. I had to take a piss so i got up, leaned my gun against a tree and proceeded to releive myself. I looked up and no more than 30 feet away were 2 bucks staring at me. As I stood there in all my glory I looked at my gun 15 feet away and back at the bucks. I made a break for the rifle and my brother got quite a show as my pants kept falling farther down as I ran for the gun. Didn't get nothing but still get a good laugh over the look on my brothers face.:eek:

lol I always think that is gonna happen to me when I get up for a leek with the gun a few feet away :-P

MB_Boy
10-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Can't say I have "missed" a monster but I did rattle in a thumper of a Whitey with drop tines and some 'non-typ' points a few years back in MB during the muzzleloader season. Had him in the iron sights not much more than 30 yards away in a small clearing; pulled the hammer back and went to take the shot to the sound of "pop" from the cap. :eek: He stood there looking around.....while I fumbled for another cap.....went to fire again.....same "pop" sound. :x I think to "starter pistol" shots was enough for him and off he went with the white tail giving me the "finger" as it bobbed away through the bush. I finally had to laugh after a bout of 'expletives' as I looked down at the gun ready to wrap it around the nearest poplar. :p

Turns out when cleaning out the gun the last time a bit of oil remained in the bottom of the barrel where I had taken the nipple off to clean. Well that bit of oil either in the powder or just sitting in the path between the cap and the powder was enough to douse the "spark" from the cap.

dutchie
10-27-2009, 11:25 AM
this last April I missed a bear that was unforgetable (problem with my saftey shot the ground by accident)... Nice BIG chocolate brown bear. would have been my first big game animal but hey... if 1/2 slam is a hunter then I must be a wonderer!

Anyways... it happeneds to the best of us!

steepNdeep
10-27-2009, 07:39 PM
I had to take a piss so i got up, leaned my gun against a tree and proceeded to releive myself. I looked up and no more than 30 feet away were 2 bucks staring at me. As I stood there in all my glory I looked at my gun 15 feet away and back at the bucks. I made a break for the rifle and my brother got quite a show as my pants kept falling farther down as I ran for the gun. Didn't get nothing but still get a good laugh over the look on my brothers face.:eek:

Haha! I can relate, but that's a whole other topic. I was calling for my partner who missed the king of the mountain bull (the only time he stuck his head out of the timber in 3 years) with his pants around his ankles and his bow 10 yards away...:lol:

10-27-2009, 07:46 PM
What a great story. It will be that much sweeter when you connect next season!

Laurence_Erickson
10-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Great story steep n deep ,I feel your pain .been there dun it .that si what keeps us going .

Kirby
10-27-2009, 10:41 PM
First time I ever got a clean crack at a "big buck", drew back, set the pin, and launched the arrow. Went between is antlers, I really didn't aim, I just looked at the rack. That was 10 years ago and it still haunts me.

Kirby

MikeH
10-28-2009, 12:01 AM
I can relate have missed a few big bucks back home in Alberta.You should try to identify more with scope less bino's.I've had this happen to me too, you glass him first no time to get rifle up.I use bino's for sitting, when I'm moving around rifle is always the bino's.

Steeleco
10-28-2009, 12:14 AM
I've not missed a shot on big bucks, but I have watched a few disappear before I even lifted the gun to my shoulder!!

duckhunt
10-28-2009, 07:13 PM
i missed the first deer i ever saw, a massive typical 6 point we came over a ridge and there he was running i barely missed maybe by a foot maybe even less, anyway my neighbor went back the next week and nailed him in the exact same spot.

steepNdeep
10-29-2009, 03:54 PM
I can relate have missed a few big bucks back home in Alberta.You should try to identify more with scope less bino's.I've had this happen to me too, you glass him first no time to get rifle up.I use bino's for sitting, when I'm moving around rifle is always the bino's.

Yeah, that's how I missed the wide guy in the early season... I had about a second window where I coulda killed him @ 40 yards, but by the time I got the rifle up he was in the timber... Only good thing is he'll be a STUD next year!! :cool:

Jetboater
10-29-2009, 04:08 PM
my dad killed his best buck with his pants around the ankles....he learned to keep the gun real close....works as a good TP holder in a pinch.... sinces he packs two rolls with him every where he goes...

good old morning brew gets the guts rolling... Steep... I have missed more good deer over the years with the bow than I wish to mention...
gonna go and try in a few minutes to miss another one...

blackbart
10-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Yes is the answer to your question.

He is now so educated that he makes me look like a complete fool! The miss was in 2006, and for the last two falls his calling card, or cards have been left in the very same spot. Nothing more humbling than to hunt one patch of timber without luck only to return the next day and have shavings from a rub in your footprints. This deer was larger than life and I only wonder if he will still be around in 2009??? Twenty or more rubs on 6-8 inch trees within about fifty yards has been his calling card for the last three years (he is doing more damage than a buncher). The place smells like a barnyard to boot. Visibility in the spot is less than twenty yards, and the wind tends to swirl, never mind the noise factor from either fallen leaves or frozen snow.

Perhaps this year will be the year - Might be a regressed three point with six inch bases by now?

Thanks for the flashbacks you b*stard:)