PDA

View Full Version : My first deer

cloverphil
10-26-2009, 10:27 AM
After getting to the end of the road I was on I wanted to go for a hike when I realized my GPS batteries were dead cold.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif So I headed back to camp to get some new ones, on the way I passed one guy on a quad, then a few minutes later a couple more guys on quads, a few minutes later as I rounded a corner a doe stopped me as she crossed the road about 30 feet in front of me.:o

I watched her and was about to drive on but and another doe came out behind her to cross, now my curiosity was up wondering how many of them there would be. Then I saw a couple points on the third one, and I knew he was mine. they were walking slowly and looking at me. :-DI slid out the drivers door as the buck stepped behind a small tree and popped a few rounds in my big 8 and hit the ground prone beside the truck. I managed to find them that close in my scope and the does started eating bark off a tree beside them as I found the boy staring at me on the ground. I squeezed off the shot and took him off his feet with a shot under the chin. he never knew what hit him and he never moved again, landing with his feet in the air.

the guys in quads came back down later and the loner went right past but the 2 stopped and helped me clean and load him in the truck, They got a four point and a two point each the next day, great guys for helping.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Jelvis
10-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Na hice deer phil rolled over in the clover, nice shot. Luck was on your side and you did good.
Jelly - a four leaf clover rover. Na hice -- +++ -- >

Steeleco
10-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Right place right time. Someone on another thread said it best this morning.
"Better to be lucky than good" You were both. Congrats

cloverphil
10-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Right place right time. Someone on another thread said it best this morning.
"Better to be lucky than good" You were both. Congrats

ain't that the truth, if my batteries had been good or, if I had stopped for the 2 grouse I'd seen earlier I wouldn't have been there at that time . . .

1/2 slam
10-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Congratulations

Squirrelnuts
10-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Good on the others for stopping and helping out. Dealing with your first one (especially when you're alone) can be a bit... intimidating. Congrats!