PDA

View Full Version : Leaving for rock creek

Philcott
10-26-2009, 10:21 AM
I'm off on the first ferry Wednesday morning to look for 4 point muleys. We'll be in country for the last few days of the 4 point season.

I can taste the cheese sticks from the bakery already.

We'll probably come into town Saturday evening for a beer.

David Heitsman
10-26-2009, 12:23 PM
I think my bud and I will be there Thursday and Friday. Probably stay in Osoyoos and drive back and forth. Hardly pays to set a camp up for two days.

I'll watch for you at the lunch counter at the Petrocan.

lip_ripper00
10-26-2009, 12:36 PM
If your in town for lunch check out the Prospector Pub, good food, large portions, and reasonable8). Also pack for snow.

Philcott
10-26-2009, 04:17 PM
I've been to the prospector a few times. Nice floor back by the mens can. Always makes me seem a little more tipsy than I am.

Is there snow there now?

Angel
10-26-2009, 04:32 PM
There was snow there this weekend.

Fourpoint
10-26-2009, 05:48 PM
It snowed 3 inches last night and this morning. Good Luck with your hunt!

Mckinney Creek Adventures
10-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Yep we got snow today.

Approx. 4" at 1700 meters.

Most will probably melt tomorrow but calling for more later in week.

Good luck. Seems to be making the animals move a bit.

MCA

Philcott
10-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess I better be bringing my woolies.

hunter1947
10-27-2009, 04:47 AM
Good luck Phil I hope you nail a dandy one http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif ,PS have a beer on me when you are celebrating you trophy deer http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

Philcott
10-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks Wayne. I'll toast a beer to you but I hope you like rum too. That's what I keep at camp for the trophy celebrations.

I'm going to try calling a bit this year. I've got some antlers to rattle and a grunt call to use. I'll be hiking off the beaten path and sitting in the timber for a while.

If that doesn't work for me I might head up your way in November.

I love this time of year.

David Heitsman
10-31-2009, 07:57 AM
Got back from Rock Creek yesterday. Wasn't the best trip for me. The weather was socked in and raining, sleeting and snowing. Stayed in Osoyoos and almost had to put chains on my all wheel drive pick-up to
get up the hill on 3 going east on Thursday AM.

Couldn't get anywhere near where I wanted to hunt as there was a foot of snow allready. My ATV wouldn't engage the 4 wheel so we wandered around in the fog for a few hours had a few more misfortunes and called it a day.

Coming back I was going too fast ((60K maybe) on the hill back into Osoyoos and ended up running the truck break away emergency run-off
right to the end. Little embarrasing but that was just the icing on the cake.

Ran Stemwinder to about the 20 K mark and couldn't push the snow past my bumper any more. Tried again in Princeton with the same result.
Never seen this much snow so early before.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-31-2009, 09:26 AM
It's melting hard right now. Warm and windy. Should squash down the snowpack a good chunk.

SSS

Mckinney Creek Adventures
10-31-2009, 09:32 AM
Oh, we get bursts of snow like this quite often this time of year. The key is good winter tires and a bit of weight. The problem is the mild temps cause the snow to pack and immediately turn to ice under your tires. Takes some time to get used to driving in these conditions, but a pair of chains in the bush this time of year is a must.

Our snow is melting away quickly now, but this may just get the whiteys rutting harder a little earlier!

MCA