PDA

View Full Version : a fillet knife that will last.

Mr. Friendly
10-25-2009, 05:43 PM
my mom loves using her fillet knife for most things in the kitchen when it comes to cutting and slicing (veggies, meats etc). the one she has is about on its last legs (bent tip and getting a wee bit wobbly) which isn't a surprise as it was cheap. I just got her a pressure cooker (on sale at CDN Tire) and she made one wicked bear stew. anyhow, off track, back on track...good fillet knives. in fact, if there are knife sets that would/could include a good fillet, I'd be interested. her primary desire in almost every knife she uses is a thin blade. she doesn't like thick heavy blades anymore as her wrists have weakened and they go numb on her.

any direction you an give me would be appreciated.

ElectricDyck
10-25-2009, 05:45 PM
I just picked up a Wenger from stuffers in langley and it seems to hold an edge pretty good.

Steeleco
10-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Go look at the selection of knives at Stuffers in Langley if practical. They have all kinds and the price is better than normal retail.

http://stuffers.com/

Everett
10-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Helle knives from Norway make the best fillet knives I have run accross. Not cheap but you will never need to replace it. In your Moms or your lifetime. You can also buy just the blade and build your own handle. Moro from sweeden does a nice knife as well and a little cheaper.

Blacktail
10-25-2009, 06:15 PM
instead of a filet knife which is the wrong thing to use in the kitchen try getting her a longer blade boning knife which is the same geberal shape and feel of a filet but has a blade that won't flex

Mr. Friendly
10-25-2009, 07:44 PM
instead of a filet knife which is the wrong thing to use in the kitchen try getting her a longer blade boning knife which is the same geberal shape and feel of a filet but has a blade that won't flex
the fillet knife she has now has lasted her a number of years and is by far her most favored knife, so it's proven it's usefulness and utility. I do know we a boning knife, but it was impossible to keep sharp, so that may have turned her off of it.

Steeleco
10-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Does she use a "steel" to sharpen it? I have a Henkel to sharpen my boning knives when I'm cutting game. Works great after only a few strokes.