PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY, last day too!!!!

lightmag
10-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Well all the early mornings, hiking, quadding and driving finally paid off as on the last day of calf season my brother and I dropped a little bull calf this morning!! Not too much of a story, hit the main FSR we wanted to go down and we had a line up of 5 sets of headlights behind us and wanting by!! we pulled over and let them by and decided to take a road off into a swappy area with old cuts. Drove into 1st cut (i know road hunting, i hate it too) and... MOOSE!!! turns out to be a young, dry cow!!! so we head out and hit the next brutally rough, muddy road, thru 15 year old cut and finally break into a 3-4 yera old cut with a ravine running down the middle, looks great for moose and i'm thing this would be great for a bull draw and calling when my brother says MOOSE, cow calf!!! out of the truck we go, they are across the ravine up on the side of a cut and looks like about 250 yrds, my turn to shoot, cross hairs on it's back line, (mistake as it was only about 200 yards away!!, deep ravine made it seem further), so i sqeeze a great feeling shot off.. NOTHING!! brother backs me up and drops it, yee ha!!. Don't know what i was thinking putting the crosshairs on it's spine but i obviously parted it's hair on it's back...

Then the work started, we had to wait until 10am to use the quad and luckily we were able to get it across the ravine!! saved us having to quarter it and pack it out!!

Now the pressure is off and i can hold out for a decent buck next week when we head out for 4 days of big mulies and whitey's!!!

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o298/dentonjohnson/2009calfmoose003.jpg

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o298/dentonjohnson/?action=view&current=2009calfmoose005.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o298/dentonjohnson/2009calfmoose004.jpg

KB90
10-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Congrats, I bet he will be tasty. :)

d6dan
10-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Good going Lightmag, tasty li'l gaffer...:D

Phil
10-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Nice work of that calf! I like your Honda ATV too as I have the same set up.

M.Dean
10-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Should be able to cut that meat with a fork!!! Congrats!

landphil
10-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Nice moose - I bet he was dazzled by those fancy alloy wheels on your quad:lol:

jml11
10-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Glad it worked out for you! Looks like a good size calf you got there as well. It also looks like you beat the snow too! When I got up this morning I figured it would be a good day for moose hunting...chili and overcast...was kinda wishing I wasn't tagged out.

lightmag
10-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Glad it worked out for you! Looks like a good size calf you got there as well. It also looks like you beat the snow too! When I got up this morning I figured it would be a good day for moose hunting...chili and overcast...was kinda wishing I wasn't tagged out.

great morning, frosty, calm, sun came up with a nice clear, red sky, then boom, snow and wind!! glad i was at home before that hit. Decent size calf, wish it was bigger seeing i'm splitting it with my brother, but oh well better than nothing plus i still have some elk left from last year and i plan on bagging a mulie and maybe a whitey too!!

hunter1947
10-26-2009, 05:52 AM
Will be a good eater ,congrats http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

5 spike
10-26-2009, 06:15 AM
it will be a great eater congrats.

BCrams
10-26-2009, 07:32 AM
i plan on bagging a mulie and maybe a whitey too!!

Way to go! Nothing like taking a good size calf for the freezer!! Ate some of my calf moose on the weekend. Delicious and tender!!

I like your confidence for mulies and whiteys!! Shouldn't be a problem in general.

Thought you told me you were going to hold out for a trophy though :mrgreen:

lightmag
10-26-2009, 07:56 AM
Way to go! Nothing like taking a good size calf for the freezer!! Ate some of my calf moose on the weekend. Delicious and tender!!

I like your confidence for mulies and whiteys!! Shouldn't be a problem in general.

Thought you told me you were going to hold out for a trophy though :mrgreen:

lol, we will see how well i hold out, lol.. i really haven't shot that many big deer yet so passing up one in the 150's would be almost impossible but we will see what deer movement is like when we get there.

BCrams
10-26-2009, 08:43 AM
lol, we will see how well i hold out, lol.. i really haven't shot that many big deer yet so passing up one in the 150's would be almost impossible but we will see what deer movement is like when we get there.

Great hunts can make any buck memorable regardless of size! You'll have fun!

taurus
10-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Right on, good for you, bing it to work and Ill cut it up on my coffee break LOL:D

lightmag
10-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Right on, good for you, bing it to work and Ill cut it up on my coffee break LOL:D

lol, thanks for the offer but we cut our own meat, part of the fun..

3kills
10-27-2009, 09:36 PM
congrats on a nice lookin calf..will be good eatin..i got mine near the beginin of the season and had some the night i cut it up and it was oh so tender...