PDA

View Full Version : Methods of cooking round roasts

eaglesj
10-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Hello,

People talk about bbq'ing, roasting and rotisserieing roasts. I would normally cook this way using a round roast if it were beef. When people talk about "Roasts" on this site, what cut of roast are they talking about, or does it matter with venison. I have elk meat at home and this is the first time I'm cooking it. I have lots of round roasts that I would like to find various different ways of cooking it without it being tough. Thanks.

David Heitsman
10-25-2009, 02:14 PM
An elk roast is difficult to cook dry in the oven. You would need to baste it or braise it or lay fat (bacon) on it.

I like to brown a roast in the pan and then simmer in a crock pot till finished. Cook with onions, celery, garlic and carrots etc to provide fuller flavor to the ensuing broth. Put maybe an inch of beef stock in the bottom to boost the flavour as well.

cdub
10-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Cook in oven at 350 for about 45min then lower to about 150-175 and cook all day. Meat will never over cook and will be nice and red and tender. No gravy though. With lean roast may want to put bacon on top.

Ubertuber
10-25-2009, 03:00 PM
I don't like boiled stringy meat that falls apart at the touch of a fork, so I avoid crock pots and the long, slow cooking, pot roast type recipes.

If you overcook any roast it will be dry, so I roast it in a hot oven until it reaches 140F on the inside. Take it out of the oven, cover it or wrap in foil and let it rest for 15 minutes before carving.

stroh72
10-25-2009, 03:01 PM
I don't think I've done a roast in the oven in 10 years. Crock pot everything regardless of cut or species. Like Heitsman said brown it first, onions, garlic, water, maybe beef bouillon play with it. Failsafe.

tomahawk
10-25-2009, 03:14 PM
This is the only way I cook round roasts now that I discovered this recipe. It takes a bit of work to prepare but its well worth the time believe me!!

ROLLED ROUND ROAST.......An easy-to-make venison/moose/elk/bison rolled roast with pesto, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes and mozzarella.

3 lb Round Roast
6 oz Pesto Basil
8oz Fresh Mushrooms, sliced thin or chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
8 oz jar os sun dried tomatoes in oil
6 oz mozarella cheese, shredded
8 oz can of pizza sauce

****** Ingredients. ****** If you don't have any pesto search Google or Yahoo for 'how to make pesto'.

Slice through the top 1/3 of the roast. Do not cut all the way through. 'Unfold'. Slice through the bottom 1/3 in the same way. Unfold so that the roast is now very large, but very thin, 1/4 to 3/8 inch.

Layer the pesto over the roast.

Pour the oil from the tomatoes into a fry pan. Saute the mushrooms and garlic until tender. Chop the tomatoes and add to the mushroom mix. Let cool, and spread over the pesto layer.

Spread mozzarrella over the mushroom layer.

Roll the roast into a firm cylinder.

Secure with a skewer or with string.

Place into a roasting dish. Pour pizza sauce over roast. Cover with lid or tinfoil.

Bake at 350 degrees F until center is 140 to 150 degrees. Remember this is wild game. It is not forgiving of over-cooking.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Get this one down to a science and you won't go back to anything else. Doesn't rquire fresh spices. Everything should be in you cupboard.

-Preheat double burner BBQ to 400F

-Take your roast and sprinkle with garlic powder, greek spices, montreal chicken spice..or whatever you favorites happen to be. Rub in spices.

Preheat cast iron frying pan over medium on stove with olive oil.

Marinade(sauce)-
- 1 cup red wine(nothing gross but no need to go crazy with the good stuff)
-more spices as previously used
- couple tablespoons Kikkomen soya sauce.

-Brown all sides of roast in fying pan being careful not to burn spices

Remove frying pan from stove, pour over marinade, insert meat thermometer.

-turn off one side of pre-heated BBQ and place frying pan with roast on "off" side. Close lid.

Spoon over marinade(sauce) every ten minutes(IMPORTANT!!!).

-remove form BBQ when thermometer reads "rare"(meat will continue to cook to yield a med-rare roast) . DO NOT OVER COOK!!!!!!

-Do NOT LET you pan go dry. If it does..try adding more wine next time...if the sauce turns out too runny, add less wine next time.

Let meat juices set for 10-15 minutes. Carve and drizzle sauce over meat...to taste.

Serve with your favorites. Mine are mushrooms, wild rice and asparagas.

Our all time favorite recipe and you don't need to be a gourmet chef!!!:cool:

Bon Appetite!!

SSS

boxhitch
10-25-2009, 09:18 PM
A good roast is tough to beat. It is very easy to have it too dry with overcooking, beef or pork is more forgiving due to the marbled fat.
Internal temperature is the key. Sear or brown the outside with high heat then simmer.

Slo cookers or pressure cookers are good for the cuts that may have been slated for burger. Shredded or pulled meat is a style of presentation, and is not a roast, IMO

In camp, I always do some bland cooking on purpose, meat that is not altered by flavoring. Many guests hav enever tasted the real venison flavor, so I make sure they get some virgin.

The WildCheff
10-26-2009, 04:01 PM
A great off-shoot to the standard game roast is making it into sauerbraten...fantastic way to enjoy game...along with some red cabbage and potatoes.

One way to ensure your roast is tender is to cook it at 250 degrees for a long period of time (low and slow method like the Greek's do with lamb).

Bard the roast with olive oil or bacon...and it will be deliish! Add wine to make it even better!!! :)

eaglesj
10-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks Guys, some good tips and I will definitely try the recipes on here. The thing I love about cooking is variation. I never like eating the same meal more than once every three months

3kills
10-26-2009, 10:28 PM
what i like to do iwth my my roast is put some chopped garlic right in the roast and then cook it in the slow cooker with ur veggies of choice with more chopped garlic sprinkled on top of it and then bacon chopped and sprinkled on top of that...never had a bad roast and its always cooked perfect