PDA

View Full Version : Yesterdays' cruise

Chuck
10-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Well, the son and I went for a casual cruise yesterday - nothing serious mind you, just a tour to look and see. He's got an LEH for a whitetail spike or doe in 4-16 and I've got the old trusty .410 for chickens.

Low fog, but when we get to the area he wants to check out, here comes an old guy walking down the road toward us. Truck trouble and can we help him out? Why certainly! Get him back to his truck after an unsuccessful search for his partner. Manage to pry the rear vent window an inch or two and fish out his keys from the center console of the cab. Good thing we had a fishing rod and lure to do that with. He's happy, we're happy.

Check out several spots, but sign is sparse, other than a lot of old elk tracks.
We did jump a real nice mulie doe and her 3/4 grown fawn, who had been bedded on a ridge above the old road we were walking on. We watched each other for a minute or so, and then they boinked off uphill into the timber. During the day we flushed seven single birds, which I wasn't able to get even one shot at. They were all in tall grass at the road side and flushed fast and at a range exceeding the .410. Boy, they picked up on us quick and were very spooky. I'm sure a dog would be of no help in this sort of situation. About 5:30 and heading back home we came upon a nice whitey doe and her fawn at the side of the road about 150 feet ahead. Just then, another vehicle appears around the corner heading our way. They pass by, the deer spook off into the bush and we head home. It turned out to be a nice day together anyway, even if we didn't get our hands bloody.

Back at home the boy gets a call that a BIG (?) cougar is prowling around his mothers' place and trying to ambush a small herd of elk in the back yard. They frequent the area often and their calf count has been diminishing over time. Only one calf left now. The bull of the herd is a massive fellow apparently, though I've never seen him. He'd better smarten up quick - someone's after his kids!