PDA

View Full Version : Grandby area

Wrayzer
10-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Looking to chase some whiteys over in the Granby River area north of Grand Forks. Anyone have info on a good place to set up camp and some decent areas to check for bucks?

Elkaddict
10-25-2009, 07:15 PM
Try this

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=40755&highlight=granby

Wrayzer
10-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Great thanks for the link Elkaddict. Just wondering how busy that camp site at mile 28 usually is around early November, and yea I'm sure every man and his dog that isnt in the CV will be in the area.

Elkaddict
10-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Haven't hunted there in a number of years, and it was usually December for the bow season, so I'm not sure how busy it will be. Last couple years we were there we had to put up with logging trucks starting right around midnight and through till daylight. Nut sure what the logging situation is now.

There are (were) a couple of nice spots up the Burrell road. First one is on the left just after the turn on to the Burrell. It is (was) a short little road that took you to a clearing a couple hundred yards back in. 'Nuff room for a tent camp. Don't think I'd want to pull a trailer in tho'. Second one is a couple klicks up on the right. There was one or two nice big open flat spots off the road a bit. Good luck.

Wrayzer
10-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Great thanks a lot for the info, we will deff be studying some backroad books and google earth on the spots you mentioned. The logging you mentioned sounds promising. I cut my muley tag but partner has his still so hope we won't be bushwacking for whitey bucks too much. Here's to hoping the rut will be in full swing on the 7th.

pete_k
10-25-2009, 10:07 PM
I was going to post nearly the same question on here. I'm about done with CV area and 8-12 is just as bad. I was planning on accessing that same area via Hwy 6 at Edgewood. We still may hit North Fork Road though.

I cancelled my mule tag in a new area 2 weeks ago and nearly forgot how much fun it exploring fresh new areas.

The 2007 stats for 4-14 and 4-32 show a decent harvest (but not 8-13 which is wierd). Just going by harvest stats here. I have no personal experience in those areas.

goatdancer
10-26-2009, 05:57 PM
There's a spot right by Gable Creek, and a few spots up towards Howe Creek. There are a few signs that point to the camp spots.

Wrayzer
10-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Hows the Grizz population doing out there this year?

recon
10-27-2009, 01:06 AM
I was there Oct 16 to 19

A good spot is the Granby Burrell Rec site about 35km north of Grand Forks on North Fork Rd. From here you can work the Granby and Burrell crk FSR, the two main roads that provide access to the back country via ATV or truck. (see map 5, Backcountry Map, Thom/Okan)

I shot my first deer that weekend not too far from this Rec site. Dispite being told the hunting was poor by a "seasond hunter" who was road hunting. I spotted deer a couple of times.

I only saw Whitetails that weekend. My deer was a mid to large WT Doe shot from atop a small ridge into a large cut-block. I'm convinced the hunting is great if your willing to go on foot away from the roadways. We were told that it would be like "shooting fish in a barrell." Not exactly... I think you do have to work for them in there, but they are there.

Myself and two buddies carried that deer out by hand and heavy foot 700 meters up the cut-block in the dark. I'll always carry a headlamp in my field kit from here on out.

Good luck

Monashee
10-27-2009, 01:08 AM
Howe Creek ? I tree spaced there for 2 months around 20 years ago. I expect there are a few moose stomping around there.

Wrayzer
11-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Anyone have a snow report? Its melting quiet a bit in the hills above kelowna, hope it isn't melting too fast up granby.

4 more days until we'll be up there.

Glassman
11-03-2009, 03:01 AM
I was up the Gramby last sunday, went up around Burrell. Saw nothing all, just a few does coming off the fields near Grand forks at dusk and too late to shoot. I have a wt doe tag and could not even get that. It was a full moon and you could see the deer in the fields driving all the way back home to Kelowna. I have never seen so many deer on the hwy.