PDA

View Full Version : coyote question

mbhjls79
10-25-2009, 09:46 AM
I was out yesterday, and when driving out I came across a coyote which I could have easily taken. I was tempted to shoot him, but I have no clue what to do with it. I assume you would skin it right there in the bush? What do you do after its skined, do you send it away to get professionaly tanned? what does that typically cost? How many coyote skin's do people have.

Chuck
10-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Well, imo, if you didn't know what to do with it, indicates you have no need for it, and then letting it go was the right thing to do. Killing something just to make it dead is not a wise decision ever in my opinion.
However hunting something to fill a need to keep yourself alive and well is why hunting was invented. But do not confuse this with the sport of hunting which is an entirely different need and tends to have nothing in common with the need to keep alive and well. This opinion, is as I see it and perhaps you may agree or not. I'm often referred to as being "old fashioned" in such regards also, but I don't care - I'm me. You be you too!

.300WSMImpact!
10-25-2009, 12:20 PM
if you shoot it and plan to use the fur, you could freeze it until you learn how to skin it or find a trapper around your area to skin it for you,

3kills
10-25-2009, 12:27 PM
if ur wantin to use it for something then ya u can freeze it then get some one else to do it for ya..and just a tip wear gloves when handling dogs...me i dont keep the hides for anything..mind u i have actaully only ever shot one yote to date.

RiverOtter
10-25-2009, 04:16 PM
I was out yesterday, and when driving out I came across a coyote which I could have easily taken. I was tempted to shoot him, but I have no clue what to do with it. I assume you would skin it right there in the bush? What do you do after its skined, do you send it away to get professionaly tanned? what does that typically cost? How many coyote skin's do people have.

Skinning it is one option, assuming the hide is nice and thick with no mange. If you are considering selling it, you should first consult a fur buyer as to how he wants it skinned, or if he'll buy it in the round(way easier than having to deal with it yourself)

The other option would be to shoot it as predator control and remove it to a place that is not visible to the public. Coyote's are very resilient to harvest and far from being a conservation concern. The numbers I'm seeing in region 8 this year would lead me to believe that more guys should be shooting them when the opportunity presents itself.....

.300WSMImpact!
10-25-2009, 05:01 PM
is it legal to sell coyote in BC? and is it legal to shot them as pest control?

RiverOtter
10-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Yes and Yes, assuming a valid hunting licence and open season......

d_k
10-25-2009, 05:24 PM
any one ever eat one?.............................:eek: just throwing it out there

FLHTCUI
10-25-2009, 05:30 PM
MMM, Coyote Stew :eek:
I hear they eat dogs in some parts of the world.
If it where life and death as in a real case of survivourman
I am sure I would swallow my pride and eat it.
Otherwise, I'll go to bed hungry Thank You very much.
Rob

boxhitch
10-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Well, imo, if you didn't know what to do with it, indicates you have no need for it, and then letting it go was the right thing to do. Killing something just to make it dead is not a wise decision ever in my opinion.
!Well put.
Coyotes do have some redeeming value as pest controllers themselves and scavengers cleaning up the wilds.
You have to decide the reason to make it dead.

boxhitch
10-25-2009, 09:24 PM
jonz, did you find the answer to your questions in the regs ?

todbartell
10-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Although I dont see anything wrong with shooting them as pest control, doesn't it say in the regs you are technically supposed to take the meat and hide out? Where does it say you can kill them as pest control unless you are a landowner?

hide yes, meat no

sawmill
10-26-2009, 04:58 AM
Although I dont see anything wrong with shooting them as pest control, doesn't it say in the regs you are technically supposed to take the meat and hide out? Where does it say you can kill them as pest control unless you are a landowner?

Read the friggen Regs.:roll:
If you can`t figure this one out by yourself you probably shouldn`t have a hunting licence.
And yes there ARE stupid questions.

jonz
10-26-2009, 06:35 AM
wtf man what an assinine response to a simple question.