PDA

View Full Version : Grouse hunting in the rain/snow ?

Slime green cat
10-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Thinking of taking my 6 yr old son up around the Coquihalla today to see if we can bag a few grouse, but I see that rain is moving in for the day (or snow up there) dont want to drive 2 hrs each way and not see a single bird ...
I have never noticed if the weather bothers grouse ? will they be hunkered down in the trees or will they still be out on the roads as usual ?

Thanks for any input :smile:

FLHTCUI
10-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Well two weeks ago when my buddy and I where up over Boston Bar way , we seen grouse all day.
Not huge numbers, but it was mixed rain/snow and drizzle and eventually the sun did come out around 3:30.
The birds where on the side of the road hunkered down getting wet or graveling up.
If it where earlier in the season I would say a day of drizzle and then the sun comes out and buds open up it would be a perfect day.
But it is darn near November 4pnt season and there is snow on the ground up near where you speak of going.
Bring the rifle along, you might see a fork or bigger.
Rob

Steeleco
10-25-2009, 09:18 AM
We were up the Coq yesterday, was quite slow and it was sunny for the most part.

If your heading towards Champion creek from the Britton creek rest area area DON'T!! The active logging in there has the road blocked and is some fugley. Almost needed the winch just to turn around.

Slime green cat
10-25-2009, 09:33 AM
Thanks guys, truck is loaded .... we are going to try our luck :smile:
Any day in the bush is better than sitting at home :wink:

Rifle is in the truck too, but I haven't shot or field dressed anything bigger than a grouse yet, and dont want to do it alone :confused: I would probably give it a go if I see a real monster, but will be mostly just looking for grouse .

Thanks guys :smile:

Steeleco
10-25-2009, 09:38 AM
In that case, stick to reg 3. it's still any buck!! 8 is 4pt. Giver!!!! Check your PMs ASAP.

Tron
10-25-2009, 09:43 AM
If its windy you probably wont see any. Other than that should be ok

mr eagle
10-25-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm going to head out this afternoon and hunt tommorrow and Tues in the same area. Havent hunted there before, our usual area is being ravaged by logging right now and there doesnt seem to be much game in the area. Can anyone offer any pointers on hunting deer up the coq? We have 4WD but prefer not to road hunt except on the way in and out.

tomla1
10-25-2009, 02:08 PM
i find here on the island anyway, if you go out just after a rain thats the best time for chickens on the road.

Slime green cat
10-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Well, no grouse today :frown:

I am convinced that there are currently no animals in 3-13 :lol: .... we pounded the roads hard all day till dark and didn't even see a chipmunk ...
It was only in the last half hour of daylight and last few kms of roads that we started seeing chickens .
Figures we would see 5 birds, and not in a group, but all in different spots along the road right at the end of the day .... and they must have all been shot at a few times already this season :lol: because every one of them flew away as soon as I opened the truck door .

My son was a bit bummed that he didn't get to clean his first grouse, but he said he still had a good day in the bush with dad :smile:

rishu_pepper
10-25-2009, 11:37 PM
Saw quite a few grouse up in Boston Bar yesterday, but they were some spooky. Only nailed a couple. Should be tasty though.

(think I saw a sage grouse...? VERY white chest and all)

Kurch!
10-26-2009, 09:29 AM
I took a new hunter up behind cherryville on sunday, as soon as the snow started coming down we started seeing lots of blues. I was letting him do the shooting, 5 birds missed clean haha. Oh well, he had fun and cant wait to go back again.