PDA

View Full Version : How'd the EK elk season turn out

Seeadler
10-24-2009, 09:47 PM
How was the elk hunting in the EK this year? I got out for 2 hours on the last day, saw 2 cows, no bull.

How'd the Zone X hunts work out?

hunter1947
10-25-2009, 07:13 AM
For me trying to find a 6 point elk was hard to do ,I thought I would never get one this year :shock:.

RiverBoatFantasy
10-25-2009, 08:17 AM
The rules in region 4 are designed for hunter failure not hunter success.

RiverBoatFantasy
10-25-2009, 09:36 AM
My freezer is an upright.

sawmill
10-25-2009, 10:46 AM
With that attitude I could see it being hard to get an elk!The hunting is better than ever ,get out there and take advantage of it LOL:lol:.
What planet are you from?

Aaron Blom
10-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Was a fair year for us. One decent 6x6 and 2 whiteys. In 3 1/2 days. Not as many elk sightings but they were way up high in the nose bleed section or the bottoms, at least for us in late Ssptember.

Kody94
10-25-2009, 11:09 AM
The 23 yo daughter of one of my co-workers went out and shot a 6pt bull with another gal. She was using a rifle she had purchased the week before (also her first rifle).

How hard can it be? ;) :p

eastkoot
10-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Plenty of elk shot in Sparwood Elk Valley. You have to live here to understand the amount of game that comes in through out the season..Not to mention those from out of area that have gone home with elk.. Pretty well everyone I have talked to around town or seen in the bush have one in the freezer.. Lots of really good bulls too.. Local butchers have been very busy this year. IMHO the six season works... Sorry Brother Jack!!

bcbooner
10-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Had a good year.Set up camp for two weeks and shot 3 Bulls for 4 Guys.Had good opp.at other Bulls but messed up.Elk hunting in the EK is great if you are willing to put in the effort.

bozzdrywall
10-25-2009, 12:46 PM
The rules in region 4 are designed for hunter failure not hunter success.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/ryans_hunting_09.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15328&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=8405)
the season out in reg 4 is olny good if you put your boots on. Me and my group were lucky enough to take 4 bulls this year one of the bulls was shot by a 13year old boy must be luck not the leather on our boots that got it done. LOL Hunt hard and walk lots and you shall be rewarded. TEAM HARDCORE

riflebuilder
10-25-2009, 01:00 PM
As per my typical year here in the EK I saw at least 3 6x6 bulls and could of harvested one ifI had wanted to but he was a small one and I had a moose so I didn't really need the meat. One of the bulls was real cranker but he was across the valley at about 1600 yards and it was the last day of the season with less than two hrs light left and there was no way I was going to be able to get close. I would of had to drop down 1000' to the valley bottom and climb back up 1600' and find him before dark. hell even when I was young and in shape it would not of happened. I wish i had the 50 BMG then I could of gotten him. A 765g expanding Barnes X bullet would of done the trick.

RiverBoatFantasy
10-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Wow. Great season.

Sounds like there are many good reasons to open road closures and 3 point bull elk.

hoyt
10-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Well I'D say the season was a great one, i got my 6 point by bow and took some friends into the area i hunt and gathered another out of there too. The road closures are infact whats making the hunting better, less trucks running the roads = better hiding for the Elk and they act like Elk that are not scared to death. You do have to work to get them, but in the end, don't we go into the hills to have some fun?
I like that i can pack up, load the horses and know i will be in a area that has no trucks screaming through the hills and i can hunt Elk that aren't scared to death!
Before i had my horses, I'D pack my back pack and head in, long walks but it was still worth it.
If it was like a drive through, would it really be much fun or sport?
My offer stands to those that would like to try a horse hunt, i would take someone in to see how much fun can be had on horse back!!
If one has no horses, then a walk it is, but the hunting if your WILLING, is still great ONCE your off the beaten path!

Jetboater
10-25-2009, 05:07 PM
good enough for us... 2 bulls in 10 days...

Jelvis
10-25-2009, 05:10 PM
3 point next year ? Or just something to talk about again and again ?
Or are you region 4 people going to get on side with a 3 point bull opening in 2010 ?
Jelly 3 point bull elk in the East Koots next season ? C'mon man -- open the Bull @ Quinn no more Bull lol

RiverBoatFantasy
10-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Well I'D say the season was a great one, i got my 6 point by bow and took some friends into the area i hunt and gathered another out of there too. The road closures are infact whats making the hunting better, less trucks running the roads = better hiding for the Elk and they act like Elk that are not scared to death. You do have to work to get them, but in the end, don't we go into the hills to have some fun?
I like that i can pack up, load the horses and know i will be in a area that has no trucks screaming through the hills and i can hunt Elk that aren't scared to death!
Before i had my horses, I'D pack my back pack and head in, long walks but it was still worth it.
If it was like a drive through, would it really be much fun or sport?
My offer stands to those that would like to try a horse hunt, i would take someone in to see how much fun can be had on horse back!!
If one has no horses, then a walk it is, but the hunting if your WILLING, is still great ONCE your off the beaten path!

It is nice that you choose to have horses. Ownership certainly has advantages and headaches. lol

What do you say to the 1000's of older men who would like to drive into an area and hunt? What do you say to the man that does not want to pack a bull elk for miles? What do you say to a guy that wants to drive into a valley, get out and hunt, and enjoy the opportunity to bag and retrieve game?

Please try to understand the point of view of others.

You will always have greater hunting opportunity with a horse. Dont be afraid of an old guy in a truck or upon an ATV.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
10-25-2009, 09:15 PM
My elk season was really short this year Sept 12 first time out with the rifle as i work out of province Two hours later and the hunting part was all over I was sitting in an old permanent treestand that i built about 35 years ago and its still there These elk are getting heavier to deal with all the time I may have to find a hunting partner to retire with GOOD luck hunting everybody ELKFORD is the best place to LIVE

bayou
10-25-2009, 09:17 PM
It is nice that you choose to have horses. Ownership certainly has advantages and headaches. lol

What do you say to the 1000's of older men who would like to drive into an area and hunt?
That there is already 1000s of miles available to them for that. What do you say to the man that does not want to pack a bull elk for miles?
Hunt close to the road.
What do you say to a guy that wants to drive into a valley, get out and hunt, and enjoy the opportunity to bag and retrieve game?Again have at'er there is hundreds of valleys already available for this.

Please try to understand the point of view of others.
Dito
You will always have greater hunting opportunity with a horse. Dont be afraid of an old guy in a truck or upon an ATV.
Ok now sheep season is over now give the dramatic conclusion the the Alexander cr story. Remember abunch of you guys were going up there with horses till the end of sheep season.

RiverBoatFantasy
10-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Meet me at A&W. I'll give you two ears full with your Baby burger.

RiverBoatFantasy
10-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Wah wah wah

sounds to me like you wouldn,t shoot a bull unless it is standing in the box of your truck.

:DThis is a thread about how people did in the EK Not a thred on I want this and I want that.

I do not hunt mature bull elk. I prefer young bulls.

I support increased hunter opportunity for BC residents. I support regulatory changes that allow increased harvest. I support the removal of region 4 road closures.

Its not about what I want, it is about what I support.

A person must stand up for something. What do you stand up for?

The Hermit
10-25-2009, 11:22 PM
I really enjoyed my EK archery season again this year. Came close but not close enough to let fly with the longbow. One campmate got a spike bull, and another got a whitetail.

I saw elk every day except one and was within forty yards frequently. One of these years I'll actually get a shot at one! :-) Hunted Zone X and well off the roads south west of Cranny... didn't see any 6 points this year though.

Mtn Wonderer
10-25-2009, 11:57 PM
I was working sept and oct in the Sparwood area and hunted most days after work. Around 15 evenings total. Saw 3 bull elk, one keeper but it didn't offer a good shot. (Very new to elk hunting thing) saw many whitetail does, no bucks thou, and few muleys but no 4 points, I even managed to see a few sheep but no Rams.Lastly I saw 6 moose in the time I was there.

I am in support of the road closures, I used a mounitain bike for access many evenings the roads are a in pretty good condition and generally not too steep a grade so you can actaully pedal 75% and walk the other 25%.
On the bike I was limiting myself to sheep or deer.

When darkness was falling I hopped the bike and glided almost all the way to my truck in about 20min.

All in all I enjoyed myself checked out alot of new ground for me, beautiful
Country the east koots, but it was damn cold at crowsnest pass where I was working. We had -22c one morning!!!

After I read all the hub bub about Alexander creek, I even Ventured up there, So a lot of elk, deer & bear sign. I drove in parked near the gate a road my bike a far as a gas well site. Plenty of Big bear tracks back in there, there was 4 " of snow on the road at the time.

The evening I was in there I only saw one other vehicle. I did end up seeing the cabins, they almost look like permanent residences to me, one of them even had a sat dish mounted outside.

MTW

bayou
10-26-2009, 05:23 AM

As already stated I dont eat there but starting to think you guys must have shares in it for you sure through lots of plugs out for it.

bayou
10-26-2009, 05:26 AM
[quote=Mtn Wonderer;537616]I was working sept and oct in the Sparwood area and hunted most days after work. Around 15 evenings total. Saw 3 bull elk, one keeper but it didn't offer a good shot. (Very new to elk hunting thing) saw many whitetail does, no bucks thou, and few muleys but no 4 points, I even managed to see a few sheep but no Rams.Lastly I saw 6 moose in the time I was there.

I am in support of the road closures, I used a mounitain bike for access many evenings the roads are a in pretty good condition and generally not too steep a grade so you can actaully pedal 75% and walk the other 25%.
On the bike I was limiting myself to sheep or deer.

When darkness was falling I hopped the bike and glided almost all the way to my truck in about 20min.

All in all I enjoyed myself checked out alot of new ground for me, beautiful
Country the east koots, but it was damn cold at crowsnest pass where I was working. We had -22c one morning!!!

After I read all the hub bub about Alexander creek, I even Ventured up there, So a lot of elk, deer & bear sign. I drove in parked near the gate a road my bike a far as a gas well site. Plenty of Big bear tracks back in there, there was 4 " of snow on the road at the time.

The evening I was in there I only saw one other vehicle. I did end up seeing the cabins, they almost look like permanent residences to me, one of them even had a sat dish mounted outside.Should have peaked in the window you may have seen RBF typing away.

MTW

hunter1947
10-26-2009, 05:42 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/ryans_hunting_09.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15328&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=8405)
the season out in reg 4 is olny good if you put your boots on. Me and my group were lucky enough to take 4 bulls this year one of the bulls was shot by a 13year old boy must be luck not the leather on our boots that got it done. LOL Hunt hard and walk lots and you shall be rewarded. TEAM HARDCORE

I have to disagree with being warded by putting the leather to the mountains :(.

I must have put on over 200 miles back into the ridges and got nothing ,it was the road hunters that got the job done ,not me :???:.

The only reason I got my bull was I went down to say good by to my old friend Arky and when I was talking to him I hear this elk bugle in the slash ,this bull made a big mistake letting me hear him http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

brotherjack
10-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Same as always, for us. Year 7 for me elk hunting the EK - came and went without a single 6 point sighting. In fairness though, after the first 6 years of discouragement, I didn't hunt them nearly as hard this year as I have in years past (though I still put in 20-ish evenings, and half a dozen morning hunts -- compared to 30+ mornings and 20+ evenings most years).

There were a couple of bulls near the end we were on for several days running that might have been 6, but as usual, they never came close enough in the timber to get a point count, and as usual a whole whack of 5 points. I don't think I saw a single bull that wasn't a sold 5x5 this year.

The only good thing about elk season, was The Wife(tm) had an antlerless elk tag, which we filled.

brotherjack
10-26-2009, 08:40 AM
I have to disagree with being warded by putting the leather to the mountains :(.

Likewise -- most years I've nearly worn out a new pair of boots before the season is over, and have gotten squat for it every year.

rocksteady
10-26-2009, 09:01 AM
I personally think it was a banner year....

Of course, you know I got my bull....

My next door neighbour, who I mosse drew with, has about 6 hunting partners, 5 of which harvest bulls (1 was a spike with a bow), the rest had at least one side of 6....

My neighbour on the other side, bud, also was in on a harvest of a 6 up the Elk Valley.....I am not sure if it was him or one of his partners on that trip....

I have seen a lot of bulls being backed into the butcher shop...I would not say more than usual, but also not less....

One thing for sure, the weather during the first 2 weeks did no one any favours....It was too stinking hot....

Just my observations......

Elkaddict
10-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Took a little over a week to find our bull. Had to go high to get him, he was literally on top of the mountain. Took him in to Fernie because of the temps. Butcher said they were run off their feet, and had over 40 bulls in to that point, which was the 3rd week of Sept.

model88
10-26-2009, 09:28 AM

Let me know when you are going, would love to have a chat with you RBF :biggrin:

RiverBoatFantasy
10-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Let me know when you are going, would love to have a chat with you RBF :biggrin:

Will I require my hearing aids? Or will you be yelling? I enjoy the Grandpa burger.

model88
10-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Will I require my hearing aids? Or will you be yelling? I enjoy the Grandpa burger.

No need for yelling!

Clint_S
10-26-2009, 11:11 AM
I'll try to slip a post in here amongst the drama.
Had a fun season but no meat. Made a play on a BIG bull 3 weekends in a row with my 13 year old son in tow. He was too wary and the bush was too thick and my son is too inexperienced to really play him properly. On our last effort I got a 6x6 satellite to trot in on him at 20 yards but it was screened by some brush and my son took all my talks of "don't take a shot unless your sure of it" to heart and the bull got away. Somewhat disappointing because it takes a lot of effort on my part to get us where we were but there's always next year.

bforce750
10-26-2009, 11:51 AM
My friends and family all got there elk,haven't talked to anybody that didn't have an opp.overall a very good year:biggrin:

bayou
10-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Likewise -- most years I've nearly worn out a new pair of boots before the season is over, and have gotten squat for it every year.
Get better quality boots then, or some soft covers for your break and gas peddles.:mrgreen:

oclarkii
10-26-2009, 03:30 PM
There sure seems to be a lot of guys out there that feel like they're owed something. If only we lived in a world where 6pt bulls and full curl sheep hung out on the road around every second corner - oh what bliss... or maybe not, maybe that might take some of the fun out of it.

From some of the poor attitutes evident here, its easy to see why someone came up with the idea of canned hunts.

bforce750
10-26-2009, 03:46 PM
i agree,the only people that complain about not having any opportunity at a 6 point bull or sheep dont put in enough time or dont step 2 ft from there truck.

brotherjack
10-26-2009, 04:17 PM
the only people that complain about not having any opportunity at a 6 point bull or sheep dont put in enough time or dont step 2 ft from there truck.

You can think what you like, but your statement right there is complete and utter B.S. I have put in well over 200 days or part days hunting elk in the last 7 years (not counting another 100 or so days spent scouting), and I have worn out 5 pairs of mid-price/mid-grade boots hiking my sorry butt up/down/around the mountains. I have read article after article explaining "elk hunting", and tried every trick found therein, none of which has done one bit of good when in the field. Other than this year, when I took it a little easy -- you couldn't possibly try any harder than I have; I promise you. In all that time and effort, during the open hunting season, I've laid eyes on 2 six point's in 7 years.

Furthermore, I am far from alone in that experience -- other than some of you HBC super-heros, I personally know ZERO hunters (and I know a whole bunch of hunters; I used to work in the local sports/hunting shop) who even saw a six point elk this year, or last year for that matter.

If you say it's so friggin easy -- how's about you tell us where and how you hunt, eh? The vast majority of us who bust or humps every year without even so much as seeing a legal bull would love to know, thanks.

CoqTrophys
10-26-2009, 04:20 PM
oclarkii

There sure seems to be a lot of guys out there that feel like they're owed something. If only we lived in a world where 6pt bulls and full curl sheep hung out on the road around every second corner - oh what bliss... or maybe not, maybe that might take some of the fun out of it.

From some of the poor attitutes evident here, its easy to see why someone came up with the idea of canned hunts.

Well said my friend!

bforce750
10-26-2009, 04:28 PM
You can think what you like, but your statement right there is complete and utter B.S. I have put in well over 200 days or part days hunting elk in the last 7 years (not counting another 100 or so days spent scouting), and I have worn out 5 pairs of mid-price/mid-grade boots hiking my sorry butt up/down/around the mountains. I have read article after article explaining "elk hunting", and tried every trick found therein, none of which has done one bit of good when in the field. Other than this year, when I took it a little easy -- you couldn't possibly try any harder than I have; I promise you. In all that time and effort, during the open hunting season, I've laid eyes on 2 six point's in 7 years.

Furthermore, I am far from alone in that experience -- other than some of you HBC super-heros, I personally know ZERO hunters (and I know a whole bunch of hunters; I used to work in the local sports/hunting shop) who even saw a six point elk this year, or last year for that matter.

If you say it's so friggin easy -- how's about you tell us where and how you hunt, eh? The vast majority of us who bust or humps every year without even so much as seeing a legal bull would love to know, thanks. If you let me know when your coming out i would be happy to point you in the right direction in all honesty

brotherjack
10-26-2009, 05:08 PM
If you let me know when your coming out i would be happy to point you in the right direction in all honesty

If I'm still living/hunting in the EK next year, I may very well take you up on that offer. (assuming you're talking about vaguely in the Cranbrook area).

10-26-2009, 05:47 PM
If I'm still living/hunting in the EK next year, I may very well take you up on that offer. (assuming you're talking about vaguely in the Cranbrook area).

Brotherjack, I kinna feel your frustration as I've been reading your posts on elk hunting for a couple years now, but did you know it's pretty much common knowledge that 20% of the hunters (the most proficient 20%) kill 80% of the game every year, and it's the same 20% that subsequently kill game each year, year after year, etc. This will never change or vary much regardless of seasons, species, or regulations. About 7000 hunters chase elk in Region 4 every year and about 600 to 900 of them are success on 6pt bulls, that's only about a 10% success rate, you are not alone. Changing to a 3pt season would help but it's not going to produce miracles. The most proficient hunters will get an elk every year instead of every second year and the less then proficient will see their success rate double, say from 5% to 10%.

The idea is to get proficient enough to become one of the highly successful 20%.

If you've been hunting elk for five years in the Cranbrook area (the easiest place on earth to bag an elk) and have only saw 2 6pt bulls in all that time, you're obviously doing something really wrong, and it also appears that you're not adapting or learning from your experiences. If something doesn't work, stop doing it and try something different. The successful hunters do work hard and are very committed, elk hunting is never consistantly easy, but it's not always about working or hunting harder, it's more about advancing your ability and knowledge base by hunting smarter.

Maybe you do need to team up with a successful hunter for a couple seasons, I'll bet when you do and you see how they hunt, the lights will flash on in your mind and you'll be able to say "that's what I've been doing wrong all these years".

brotherjack
10-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Brotherjack, I kinna feel your frustration as I've been reading your posts on elk hunting for a couple years now, but did you know it's pretty much common knowledge that 20% of the hunters (the most proficient 20%) kill 80% of the game every year, and it's the same 20% that subsequently kill game each year, year after year, etc. This will never change or vary much regardless of seasons, species, or regulations. About 7000 hunters chase elk in Region 4 every year and about 600 to 900 of them are success on 6pt bulls, that's only about a 10% success rate, you are not alone. Changing to a 3pt season would help but it's not going to produce miracles. The most proficient hunters will get an elk every year instead of every second year and the less then proficient will see their success rate double, say from 5% to 10%.

The idea is to get proficient enough to become one of the highly successful 20%.

If you've been hunting elk for five years in the Cranbrook area (the easiest place on earth to bag an elk) and have only saw 2 6pt bulls in all that time, you're obviously doing something really wrong, and it also appears that you're not adapting or learning from your experiences. If something doesn't work, stop doing it and try something different. The successful hunters do work hard and are very committed, elk hunting is never consistantly easy, but it's not always about working or hunting harder, it's more about advancing your ability and knowledge base by hunting smarter.

Maybe you do need to team up with a successful hunter for a couple seasons, I'll bet when you do and you see how they hunt, the lights will flash on in your mind and you'll be able to say "that's what I've been doing wrong all these years".

It's not 5 years, it's 7 years. And the reason I've put in all that time and effort was with the idea I was going to become one of those guys who shoots an elk every year; kind of like I have with deer -- if you peruse my old threads over the years on mule deer and whitetail hunting, I don't think there'd be much disagreement with the idea that I'm at least passable at that. If I didn't have the idea in my head that at some point elk hunting would become (like deer hunting) a do-able, understandable, repeatable process -- I'da gave up elk hunting years ago.

And believe it or not, I do "adapt and change", I do it all the time. Unfortunately, I have no idea where I'm going with any of it anymore, because nothing I have ever tried has worked, so I have no frame of reference for "this worked, and that didn't" - as far as I can tell, none of it has ever worked, so what, exactly, do I do now? Pretty much anything you've likely read as elk-hunting advice, I've probably tried it at one time or another. I can't promise you I did each technique exactly right (I'd suspect not, given the utter lack of success), but I've sure as heck gave it my very best shot.

Anyway... some more stuff I wanted to say in reply, but I'm getting too tired to go on about it anymore right now.

10-26-2009, 09:01 PM
It's not 5 years, it's 7 years. And the reason I've put in all that time and effort was with the idea I was going to become one of those guys who shoots an elk every year; kind of like I have with deer -- if you peruse my old threads over the years on mule deer and whitetail hunting, I don't think there'd be much disagreement with the idea that I'm at least passable at that. If I didn't have the idea in my head that at some point elk hunting would become (like deer hunting) a do-able, understandable, repeatable process -- I'da gave up elk hunting years ago.

And believe it or not, I do "adapt and change", I do it all the time. Unfortunately, I have no idea where I'm going with any of it anymore, because nothing I have ever tried has worked, so I have no frame of reference for "this worked, and that didn't" - as far as I can tell, none of it has ever worked, so what, exactly, do I do now? Pretty much anything you've likely read as elk-hunting advice, I've probably tried it at one time or another. I can't promise you I did each technique exactly right (I'd suspect not, given the utter lack of success), but I've sure as heck gave it my very best shot.

Anyway... some more stuff I wanted to say in reply, but I'm getting too tired to go on about it anymore right now.

Don't give up, and don't put a huge bunch of pressure on yourself, just go out there and have fun, I'm confidence success with elk will come to you and TM someday, it comes when you least expect it...!

Jetboater
10-27-2009, 06:17 AM
Don't give up, and don't put a huge bunch of pressure on yourself, just go out there and have fun, I'm confidence success with elk will come to you and TM someday, it comes when you least expect it...!

that is the best piece of advice is this whole thread....think about it ... if your not having fun why be out there...Elk hunting messes with your emotions so quickly that yuo need to just have fun... and find a hunting pattern that works for you...

hunter1947
10-27-2009, 06:52 AM

If you say it's so friggin easy -- how's about you tell us where and how you hunt, eh? The vast majority of us who bust or humps every year without even so much as seeing a legal bull would love to know, thanks.

I agree with you brother on your post ,this year I had a hell of a time trying to find the six sticker on a bull and all I was seeing was 5 points ,I never say die till I am in the truck and out onto the hi way.

I thought that I was going to go home without my elk this year after hunting them for 7 weeks ..

The one thing that I kept thinking was I was going to be the laughing stock of HBC hunting forum 7 weeks hunting no elk what kind of hunter is this can't even shoot a bull after that much time in the bush ???.

I just love hunting them and if I do get skunked so be it ,I can honestly say that I worked hard up and down the mountains trying to fill my tag.

Like I said on my other post I put over 200 miles on in the bush after these beautifully animals and come up with nothing.

The bull I got was in the slash 300 yards from the road ,what luck that was.

hunter1947
10-27-2009, 07:10 AM
Don't get to upset Brotherjack just get even ,next year just could be your year for a bull elk.

My record for elk in the past 11 years is 3 ,yes only 3.

If it where not for the last two years filling my elk tag it would be 1six point in 9 years.

I'm not trying to brag about my self but believe you I know how to hunt these animals ,its just being in the right place at the right time ,your year will come just keep at it sooner or latter the table will turn for you ,believe me and it will.

Look at how lucky I got this year ,I happened to be at the right place at the right time 50% of the time its all about luck http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

ELKOHOLICBC
10-27-2009, 07:13 AM
I've been hunting the same area for ten seasons now for elk in the EKs. Every year i'm back there I see a 6pt. Most of them are when I'm glassing and they are far away. Not having the man power to go in get it out with losing any meat is why we can't go for them.I've changed that for next year.:-P:-P We have shot 3 nice 6pts and fired at 4 others. Not good % but thats hunting. I've been meeting a group back there of very successful elk hunter that definetly know what thier doing and they have over the ten years killed an average of three bulls a year for ten days of hunting. This year was another year of calling in 5s for us but you can't control whats coming to your calling. I don't sit back here after my trip and complain I never saw a legal bull we have to change this reg 4 season down to 3pt. I keep going back for the challenge. Elk hunting is a learning process, every bull you call in is a different scenario. You can read all the books and articles you want but live experience is the best way to learn. Even when its a 5pt that comes in you can learn from those bulls. So whats going to happen now when everyone shoots the first 3 pt or better bull they see now, and in 5 years we'll all be back on this site after Oct. 20 complaining did anyone see a 3pt. Just my opinion. And no I'm not a trophy hunter.

lunatic
10-27-2009, 07:22 AM
I agree with you brother on your post ,this year I had a hell of a time trying to find the six sticker on a bull and all I was seeing was 5 points ,I never say die till I am in the truck and out onto the hi way.

I thought that I was going to go home without my elk this year after hunting them for 7 weeks ..

The one thing that I kept thinking was I was going to be the laughing stock of HBC hunting forum 7 weeks hunting no elk what kind of hunter is this can't even shoot a bull after that much time in the bush ???.

I just love hunting them and if I do get skunked so be it ,I can honestly say that I worked hard up and down the mountains trying to fill my tag.

Like I said on my other post I put over 200 miles on in the bush after these beautifully animals and come up with nothing.

The bull I got was in the slash 300 yards from the road ,what luck that was.

I don't think you need to worry about people on here laughing at you H1947, there is too much respect for you on this forum. Anybody who has been a member for any time on here, knows how hard you work and your dedication to elk hunting.
Brotherjack......don't give up whatever you do. Success will come to you eventually, and when it does, all them years and miles logged in the bush will seem like nothing. I hunted elk for probably as many years as you did before I finally got my first. I was feeling the same way as you. I logged literally hundreds of miles in the bush on game trails etc. I sometimes would log 20+ miles in a day. Same as you, I would see countless 5 pts or maybe some 6 pts ( just could not be 100%) and thought I would never get one. The thing is though, every year I was out there I learned more about their habits, where they holed up, where they go to water, the different sounds they make, etc. Success finally came and I have been successful many times since that first. Don't give up ! Oh yeah, top quality optics don't hurt either. It sure makes it a whole lot easier to count points now.

lunatic
10-27-2009, 07:32 AM
I've been hunting the same area for ten seasons now for elk in the EKs. Every year i'm back there I see a 6pt. Most of them are when I'm glassing and they are far away. Not having the man power to go in get it out with losing any meat is why we can't go for them.I've changed that for next year.:-P:-P We have shot 3 nice 6pts and fired at 4 others. Not good % but thats hunting. I've been meeting a group back there of very successful elk hunter that definetly know what thier doing and they have over the ten years killed an average of three bulls a year for ten days of hunting. This year was another year of calling in 5s for us but you can't control whats coming to your calling. I don't sit back here after my trip and complain I never saw a legal bull we have to change this reg 4 season down to 3pt. I keep going back for the challenge. Elk hunting is a learning process, every bull you call in is a different scenario. You can read all the books and articles you want but live experience is the best way to learn. Even when its a 5pt that comes in you can learn from those bulls. So whats going to happen now when everyone shoots the first 3 pt or better bull they see now, and in 5 years we'll all be back on this site after Oct. 20 complaining did anyone see a 3pt. Just my opinion. And no I'm not a trophy hunter.

You have a very good point there. This is what I worry is going to happen in the Peace area. It was opened in a huge area for 3 pts and up for the last two seasons. Many elk are being harvested now. I realize something had to be done to help the farmers, but alot of the area is nowhere near farm land. If they wanted to do this, I feel it should have been a short season for a few years, and then figure out what the impact has been. Instead, they opened it up for just about a two month long season, and also allowed antlerless to be harvested. I think the day will be coming when we say exactly that......have you seen a 3 pt lately?

10-27-2009, 09:07 AM
I thought alot of people were killing elk.

Actually, a lot of people are killing elk when one considers we're killing 800 to 900 antlerless elk during the youth/senior GOS, 400 to 500 more during the LEH season, a few during the bow season, and 600 to 900 6pt bulls during the bull GOS. That's a lot of people killing elk, but there's still 10 times as many people hunting 6pt bulls then there are people who actually harvest one. The 10 to 12 % success rate only applies to the 6pt bull GOS, the antlerless and y/s GOS have much higher success rates.

The elk program on the overall is successful in that we're probably killing enough antlerless elk now to stabilize population growth and we're killing the bulk of them from the non-migratory component. The one un-addressed issue is that we're harvesting bulls from a single age class and that could impact genetics over the long-term. We're stockpiling bull elk. We could easily and sustainably be harvesting 20% of the bull population every year. Back in the 70s and early 80s under the 3pt regulation we were killing up to 25 to 27 % of the bulls every year but not enough antlerless elk and as a result of mild winters the herd was in a rapid expansion cycle just like it was 4 or 5 years ago prior to the initiation of the antlerless LEH.

The elk population was as high or higher in the mid-eighties compared to today, but we didn't have as many non-migratory elk so the damage to agriculture and winter range was less severe.

Another thing to consider is that the maximum sustainable elk harvest will occur when the population is at about 70% of carrying capacity, and we're probably close to 100% right now, so there's still room for improvement.

The winter range issues are complex and figuring out what an appropriate ungulate density would be is not simple. Consider that over a large percentage of the winter range 50% of the available forage is allocated for cattle grazing and that there are mule deer, white tailed deer, and bighorn sheep all in competition for space and the remaining forage.

bforce750
10-27-2009, 09:19 AM
It think the government should stop trying to manage the people:confused: and start managing the animals.

10-27-2009, 09:33 AM
I do not think a short (one week or ten day) 3pt bull GOS would hurt anything even one little tiny bit. It will spread the harvest over a wider age class of bull and support genetic diversity. Remember, those that harvest a 3pt bull will be out of the game for the rest of the year and thus cannot harvest a 6pt bull. If they initiate a GOS in the West Kootenay at the same time it will go a long ways towards alleviating any potential for increased hunting pressure on the East Kootenay herd.

10-27-2009, 09:38 AM
It think the government should stop trying to manage the people:confused: and start managing the animals.

And what would your suggestions be in this regard?

Is controlling the hunting harvest level not always going to be controlling hunters through various methods, IE season lengths, timing, LEH vrs GOS, bag limits, etc.

10-27-2009, 10:13 AM
In retrospect, looking back on the 2009 season, I don't think there was a lesser harvest then in previous years, but I do see a little more frustration amongst elk hunters then in previous years. I think there are a couple reasons for this.

First there was the heat in September that reduced elk movement and activity and kept the elk in the dark timber, on north facing slopes, or caused many elk to move to higher elevations away from what have became traditional hunting areas for many elk hunters. Of course this is nothing new, hot Septembers have produced these same frustrations on many previous occasions.

Secondly I think the management objective of reducing non-migratory elk and exerting a high level of hunting pressure on the low lying areas is starting to return some of the anticipated benefits. There are just fewer and more spookier elk in the main Trench at lower elevations prior to mid-October.

I also wonder if there aren't some elk hunters who have only hunted elk for the last 5 or 6 years, who have become heavily reliant on low elevation elk, and might possibly have little or no experience hunting elk in the high basins or upper tributaries. The veteran elk hunters who reverted to the 70s and 80s hunting strategies did not seem to have any problems getting elk. The elk may be finally adapting to the low elevation (high pressure) management program and hunters must now do the same. Of course this isn't going to help those hunters who are subject to the elevation restricted hunts.

bforce750
10-27-2009, 11:17 AM
I agree with u definately on your point 6616,the elk residing in the lower elevations have adapted to the hunting pressure.They are pretty much nocturnal,you wont generally get one any time after an hour after first light or in the heat of the day.Hunters try new techniques,capitalize on the bow season.

hunter1947
10-27-2009, 04:14 PM
I do not think a short (one week or ten day) 3pt bull GOS would hurt anything even one little tiny bit. It will spread the harvest over a wider age class of bull and support genetic diversity. Remember, those that harvest a 3pt bull will be out of the game for the rest of the year and thus cannot harvest a 6pt bull. If they initiate a GOS in the West Kootenay at the same time it will go a long ways towards alleviating any potential for increased hunting pressure on the East Kootenay herd.

I'm 100% with you on your post Andy and your are for sure right a 10 day season for 3 or better would not hurt a thing ,it would help fill hunters freezers as well.

boyd050
10-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Actually, a lot of people are killing elk when one considers we're killing 800 to 900 antlerless elk during the youth/senior GOS, 400 to 500 more during the LEH season, a few during the bow season, and 600 to 900 6pt bulls during the bull GOS. That's a lot of people killing elk, but there's still 10 times as many people hunting 6pt bulls then there are people who actually harvest one. The 10 to 12 % success rate only applies to the 6pt bull GOS, the antlerless and y/s GOS have much higher success rates.

The elk program on the overall is successful in that we're probably killing enough antlerless elk now to stabilize population growth and we're killing the bulk of them from the non-migratory component. The one un-addressed issue is that we're harvesting bulls from a single age class and that could impact genetics over the long-term. We're stockpiling bull elk. We could easily and sustainably be harvesting 20% of the bull population every year. Back in the 70s and early 80s under the 3pt regulation we were killing up to 25 to 27 % of the bulls every year but not enough antlerless elk and as a result of mild winters the herd was in a rapid expansion cycle just like it was 4 or 5 years ago prior to the initiation of the antlerless LEH.

The elk population was as high or higher in the mid-eighties compared to today, but we didn't have as many non-migratory elk so the damage to agriculture and winter range was less severe.

Another thing to consider is that the maximum sustainable elk harvest will occur when the population is at about 70% of carrying capacity, and we're probably close to 100% right now, so there's still room for improvement.

The winter range issues are complex and figuring out what an appropriate ungulate density would be is not simple. Consider that over a large percentage of the winter range 50% of the available forage is allocated for cattle grazing and that there are mule deer, white tailed deer, and bighorn sheep all in competition for space and the remaining forage. some very informative information however I would be surprised if the numbers you quoted are accurate, they seem somewhat high, do you have something to support the numbers? As I understand it the success rate on LEH is below 30% of alloted tags, however I am open to being corrected, I am looking forward to seeing what the govt says is the harvest data, and I know this is somewhat unreliable due to the fact some hunters do not fill out the harvest cards, which if done by everyone would give us a more accurate reflection of the numbers.anyway I for one would love to know the real numbers.

10-27-2009, 09:17 PM
some very informative information however I would be surprised if the numbers you quoted are accurate, they seem somewhat high, do you have something to support the numbers? As I understand it the success rate on LEH is below 30% of alloted tags, however I am open to being corrected, I am looking forward to seeing what the govt says is the harvest data, and I know this is somewhat unreliable due to the fact some hunters do not fill out the harvest cards, which if done by everyone would give us a more accurate reflection of the numbers.anyway I for one would love to know the real numbers.

They're not my numbers Boyd, they're from various government reports and harvest data sheets that go back all the way to 1976. If you choose not to believe them,,, what can I say? They're as real as any data that's out there, and nothing more real or more accurate is ever going to be available given the drawbacks of the harvest questionnaires.

10-27-2009, 09:23 PM
6616 alot of good info. What is your take on the west kootenay elk season. Do you think it will happen.A part of me wants to see it open up but another part of me does not.

I hate to comment too much on the West Kootenay since I don't have the complete data for over there, but any GOS can be sustainable, there are many regulatory measures that can be used besides LEH to control harvest levels.

I think it will go through eventually but probably not until the hunters and the wildlife clubs in the WK are comfortable with the decision and regulatory strategy of the season. Right now the decision will be made in Victoria (heaven forbid) who knows what will happen..?

10-27-2009, 11:33 PM
Thank you for your input. I enjoy reading your posts.

Thanks, appears some people just think it's all BS.

hoyt
10-31-2009, 09:19 AM
Wow, isn't this a joke!! Hey Riverboat dude, there are many places to hunt by quad, truck, bike, foot and horses, we all have areas that will and do produce Elk, i can't help ya with the 3 point stuff but zone X is a great place to hunt CLOSE to the roads and tags do come easy there as well!! Also, if you have a bow, you can shoot almost anything in Sept and i will say they are pretty easy to get close to at this time of year, if you are at all proficient in Elk hunting.
I do understand what your saying but having said that, i would never want to see trucks, quads where i go!'
Good thing the terrain is not suitable for either anyways in my areas.
Cranbrook has Elk all over the place, great place to begin looking for more areas for yourself to engoy!!
Keep trying, it does all come together with patience, but hey, hunting in the end is to be fun for you and whoever your with, right??
My offer is still out there for SOMEONE that has tried hard and needs a hand, i will take you in on horses and show you what i have learned over the years, as well as you will see what to do when they are being a "little" tough.
I have taken many a person on these trips, they all are very good hunters now, not that they were not before, just some small "tuning" was needed, now they slay them every year too!! It is really the "small" stuff that keps one's freezer empty, thats it!!