PDA

View Full Version : Caribou 2009 the quick version or not so quick

luckynuts
10-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Have been meaning to post this story for awhile. Shit been meaning to post for awhile just to fricking busy. I know excuses excuses.

This trip actually was planned 6yrs ago but do to a friends father's health was cancelled and never really was taken serious again except by me. 2 yrs ago I received my LEH for caribou and planned a trip after my annual moose hunt but the day I got back I seperated my shoulder really bad and had to cancel. I did try for my goat draw the following January but after I slip and slid down the side of a mountain I turned around and headed for home. Thanks again BC billies and Youngfella for the advice and info 2 yrs ago and SSS for answering all my questions and providing sound advice if not for you good chance i may have never went into that particular lake.

Anywise my partner and I flew out on the 8th of September after being socked in for 4 days. Nothing better sleeping in a tent for 4 days in the rain WAITING for a break in the weather :lol: that seemed would never come. We did however pass the time swapping hunting stories with a few members here on this site. Boy do they have a story to share:cool::cool::cool:.

Well the weather finally broke and we were air born, even if it was just to fly to the other end of the lake to see if it was an actual go or not as it was still pretty nasty up there. After several attempts Urs managed to find a route through the fog and low cloud cover even finding the rare bit of sunshine now and again. We finally dropped out of the sky and touched down on our lake. Beautifull is all I could say i felt like a kid again:biggrin:.

We were a little disappointed to hear from the last party that they hadn't seen any bulls and only 26 cows. There were 5 of them. We set up base and repacked our stuff so we were ready bright and early. Our first spike was in a great area. After glassing the surrounding area for some time we decided to climb up too a plateau and glass further around the other side. We ended up getting back late due to wanting to see over the next ridge and the next and so forth.:eek: Getting back in the rain with a 70klm/hr wind leaves a guy chilly wanting his hot! Mountain House. Holy F%&* I forgot my whisper lite :oops:. ( I will never live this one down) Using my firestarter able to get a fire going, water boiling and eat a hot supper.

My partner is pissed! I'm ready to shoot myself didn't sleep a wink. That morning we decide to hunt the lower valley area with many caribou spotted with 2 really good bulls but to far and not prepared to go without the stove:oops: We decide to head closer to base set up spike. Also due to one of the guides wrangler's took 4 shots at a meat bull???? We didn't realize they had come in from the south and could also see the bull and cows high up on the mountain. Whatever nothing was going to ruin my hunt. We made the trip down to base I grabbed the 2 burner stove and a couple of 1# propane bottles and we headed back up to spike.

Day 3 running into many caribou and some small bulls we hiked up into a saddle this was our best weather day minus the 90klm/hr winds hiking was tough trying to keep your head up and looking around we need to find some shelter and start glassing as my eyes were teary due to the wind. I just happened to look up and spotted a group of 5 boos one with a really white neck and new right away he was a bull. Thre down the pack pulled out the binos could see he was legal up top with 5 but could not see the back point. My partner by this time is loaded and waiting the signal. After pulling out the spotting scope gripping it with 2 hands due to the wind I found the bull then lost him man this wind sucks. My partner keeps yelling yes or no! I could barely hear him focusing on him yep that is definately a rear point KILL HIM I yelled back Bang! 130gr TTSX on its way from his 270wsm Sako. Approx 360 yd shot Buddy got his first Big Game other than a deer.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/020_13A.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15856&ppuser=99)Apparently
after high fives and pictures we debone first time for us both, i'm old fashion in halving and quartering. and begin the long pack back to spike. spend the night and head to base in the morning. Head back up later that night.

Fast forward. Last day! After several days 8 to be fact with only small bulls and a few bull moose one around the 50" mark but no way was I allowing buddy to shoot it. We can get those in john. We decide to go farther down this one valley and up this one finger hoping to stumble across a good bull or goat. We are halfway there and we see the outfitter ahead. This after we made a deal that he hunts one side of the ridge and we the other we. F^&k it we had it in our minds we were going to this one spot we push on. keeping back 5-600 yds we trail behind until we get to the particular spot we want to head into and start to climb. Find a good spot and glass for a couple of hours. Noda thing stirring more rain and wind is picking up again! We turn around and headed for spike.

I'm pretty pissed with myself for not packing my stove thinking of all the places we could have gone. after several hours we come to the valley that lead us into the saddle where my partner took his bull. Feet numb knees and legs sore with the Rain pouring of my hat I turned and said, It's my last day i don't want to give I'm heading back into where you shot your bull, how about it are you in? It's 2:15pm You bet your ass I'm in let's do it. That right there is why we hunt together neither of us gives up and is always there to push you that next 50yds or next mountain.

We break through the saddle and up into the plateau. Rain feels like rocks it's so windy I can see the look on my partner's face not good I quickly scan the area and put my glass away out of the weather and turn to my buddy and say thanks for sticking it out has been the hunt of a lifetime we talk a bit about the hunt and buddy says lets hunt down to spike meaning sidehilling the far side with boulder fields in between. let's do it I yell back. I took 10 steps and see movement 800yds away. Thinking grizzly which we had a tag for, pull out the binos and see a great bull caribou trying to mount a cow. Hunt on. crawling, walking on hands and knees finally doing the bum slide as we had been spotted trying to narrow the gap. Finally at approx 500yds the cows start to head up the mountain with a good bull (didn't even see him) and the big boy started to head down and away. Using my pack as a rest tell buddy to get ready to back me up. Boom he runs a bit and then stops. Buddy says you missed shot high! i'm pretty sure I hit him, already chambered get ready click. eject click! F*&K F*&k Boom I here buddy shoot i throw my gun down grab his and start running the bull is limping a bit 300yds boom I put one in the shoulder he goes down run up to him and dispatch him quickly. Lots of relief can't belief it. take pictures as fog rolls in quick my camera dies POS. Sorry about field pics. Have run out of time again but the next 29hrs was pretty exciting too:lol:

Forgot to mention I will be getting this Caribou mounted and it will be done by Ganders in Surrey. Rick and Rob have done all my stuff and I am extremely happy with the work, pricing and turnaround time. just a little plug there in case none of you got that.

kennyj
10-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Great story so far.Looking forward to the rest of it,and photos.
kenny

luckynuts
10-24-2009, 09:00 PM
YF I hate to admit it but the caribou from my buddies was great:grin: no jokes aside. I had heard of these horror stories so we tried some and not the tenderloins either a rolled front shoulder that we fried in butter with salt and pepper but could have been that we were really hungry.:biggrin:

Actually the worst meat I have ever eaten was a rutted elk roast no lies!

2x4x16
10-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Great story but a picture is worth a thousand words. What area where you in?

Stone Sheep Steve
10-25-2009, 03:59 AM
Here you go, Wade!!
Pics look like they're the right size.
There's another bull in your gallery. Did I get the right two??
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/020_13A.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15856&ppuser=99)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/005_5A.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15405&ppuser=99)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/006_6A.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15403&ppuser=99)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2009_bull.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15857&ppuser=99)

Way to tough it out!

Congrats!!

SSS

luckynuts
10-25-2009, 08:26 AM
Thanks Brent.

Yeah put on a lot of miles for sure. Now if I could just find a legal moose might be tag soup this year:shock::eek::eek: seeing lots of bulls just not legal.

SKYLINE
10-25-2009, 08:51 AM
I was wondering if you were going to post the story. Congrats on some great bulls. Sounds like you guys sure worked hard and were rewarded. There sure was some crazy weather up there this year!!!

srupp
10-25-2009, 03:01 PM
great BOO..well done;;;;; ya that mountain weather sheesh..good job guys..

Steven

ThinAir
10-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Great boo Wade!:-)

Gotta love the 11th hour success stories!

Urs told us you guys were successfull!

We were delayed 3 days flying back due to strong winds, and even when we did fly it was the scariest flight I've ever been on! When we landed I asked Urs how much worse does it get? He said "when the engine coughs or quits because of turbulence, you know it's bad!" Well, that didn't happen, but it still scared the crap outa me. I thought the wings were coming off for sure:eek:

hillclimber
10-26-2009, 06:35 AM
sounds like you guys put it lots of time. too bad the weather wasn't on your side. congrats on the 2 fine cariboo. they should look goood on the wall.

cheers
stefan

luckynuts
10-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks Hillclimber. Actually I was/we were prepared for worse thought there was going to be snow kinda wished it were so.

Thin Air.

Still can't believe it, thought for sure i was going home empty though satisfied I had worked hard and it just wasn't in the cards.

I hear you on the flight out. We called the morning after I shot mine and postponed the flight out for another day giving us a full day to clean up and to finish up on my cape. Well we slept in that morning and I had just started to flesh the nose (pain in the ass) when I hear a plane. I look up who is it Urs! ( Weather was turning for the worse was now or never)

Mad panick to get everything packed up we took off and right then I knew it was going to be a bumpy ride out. Nothing like hearing the engine bear down as you try and climb over a mountain and at the last second Urs turns the plane around as he doesn't have enough power to get over it. I have flown in quite a few small planes and lots of 206 bell rangers never once did i feel sick to my stomach but flying out i had to look straight out the front window for about 15 mins to calm the old guts down:redface::roll: not sure if it was from being tired and on an empty stomach or the turbulence.

Glad we came over and talked with you, nice meeting you all, hows Dad doing i bet still on cloud 9.

L.