PDA

View Full Version : What does it take to bring down a duck

Marc
10-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Here is a good read on the subject of shot selection and effective range for steel shot. A good read for people starting out in waterfowling and also a good read to understand why sky busters go through a lot of shells with little to show for, not to mention wounding countless numbers of birds that never get recovered. Sure they may get a few but how many fly away with shot in them.

http://www.ducks.org/Hunting/ShootingTips/2731/WhatDoesitTaketoBringDownaDuck.html?poe=shooting

Gateholio
10-24-2009, 07:45 PM
I shot 6 ducks in my back yard yesterday.

.22LR head shots put them down for good!:mrgreen:

Marc
10-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Farm ducks don't count and for the record it's against the law to shoot "wild" ducks with a single projectile.

The funny thing is in the edge about 2 years ago there was a story about some young fella who shot his first duck and he shot it with a .22 and the edge congratulated him on it. I would think that if you were an editor for a hunting mag that you probably should know what's legal and not. It's a federal law and doesn't change from province to province so that's no excuse either.

Gateholio
10-24-2009, 07:56 PM
That's nuts! Maybe the magazine made a mistake? I hope so!:shock:

PGK
10-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Set the dekes @ 20y. Smack anything that comes near them. It's undoubtedly harder for you guys down south, but up here they are stooooopid, unless I start hunting the same spot a few days in a row. No need to skybust, just wait em out...they *are* going to land in the spread...hell I had two wigeon lock up and commit to the dekes while I was still setting them out this morning :shock: ...man I love shootin ducks :D

303Brit
10-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Nice, tid bit Marc I to pace out a marker Deke 25yds

sparkes3
10-25-2009, 07:38 AM
yup dont set your decoys ant further than you are comfortable shooting and then let a few flocks pass by wothout shooting at them and then you will see the next birds getting lower and closer then you can wack and stack.

Tanya
10-25-2009, 08:10 AM
Excellent piece.