PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear question?

brandonhunter
10-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Hello I was just wondering, after a person skins a black bear should you trim off most of the fat before taking it to the meat cutters?:D

Tron
10-24-2009, 06:54 PM
You can but they will be doing more of it any way so I would not worry about it. Just pick the hairs off and any dirt. Wipe it with paper towel soaked in vinegar water mix. Butcher like clean meat and will do a better job for you if they can see you took the time.

greatwhitehunter
10-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Butchers can charge by weight so you might save 5 bucks by trimming the fat.

I have heard you can render the fat (cut into small pieces and heat in oven, collect the clear fat and remove the bits when 'cooked') rendered fat can be used for baking; pastries, leather water proofing, etc.

I have not tried it.

BearSniper
10-24-2009, 08:00 PM
I would suggest its a good idea and a good habit to start.

You will get better with each Bear and will start to trim off more and more fat for the butcher or Taxidermist. It's easier when the aninmal is warm.

One other thing I learned: don't just take one sharp knife along. Have a box or bag of at least 4 REALLY sharp knives ready. It's so much easier setting a dull knife aside, and picking up another one to keep skinning. Sharp knives make the job FAR easier. Also bring a hack saw for bones and tendons.

brandonhunter
10-25-2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks for all the advice.

pupper
10-25-2009, 10:53 AM
I would trim as much fat off as possible from the hide(if making a rug) and carcass.

tomla1
10-25-2009, 02:11 PM
ya you can make dubbin from the fat just dont leave your boots out side after cuz the coons will have 'em in a heartbeat.