PDA

View Full Version : region 3-19B moose

jg
10-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Hi, I have a moose LEH for 3-19b and I am heading out on November 1. Does anyone have any good tips for the region or maybe some good starting points? Any recommendations for accommodations in the area?

Thanks!

Hemi
10-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Hi, I have a moose LEH for 3-19b and I am heading out on November 1. Does anyone have any good tips for the region or maybe some good starting points? Any recommendations for accommodations in the area?

Thanks!

Bring a gun :mrgreen:

jg
10-24-2009, 04:24 PM
I plan on it. Thanks for the tip!

MuleyMadness
10-25-2009, 08:48 AM
We had a late draw for 3-19B a few years ago and connected on the first one the first day out (group draw with two authorizations). The thing about 3-19B is there is a lot of bug kill areas, so if you check out areas that have good swamps and good food sources you should be okay. My recommendation would be go to Google earth and using sat view look for small lakes, ponds, etc that still have healthy cover around them. You can also try BC Map online at http://webmaps.gov.bc.ca/imfx/imf.jsp?site=imapbc whcih also allows you to include geographic features such as marsh/swamp lands and such. I prefer the quality you get from webmaps but it's somewhat harder to use. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I haven't hunted up there since and with the aforementioned beattle kill, the forestry landscape really has changed dramatically over the last few years. We have another group moose draw for 3-19A this year, so that that should tell you something about the general area in question. :)

Caveman
10-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Bull or Cow???? Cow late LEH is almost a cake walk but the bulls are held up re-cooping from the rut and can be a little tough to locate

MuleyMadness
10-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Bull or Cow???? Cow late LEH is almost a cake walk but the bulls are held up re-cooping from the rut and can be a little tough to locate

Well I'm not sure I agree so much on that...we also had a cow draw for 3-29a last year (I know horseshoes) and hunted it hard for the 10 full days....saw 4 nice bulls and not a single cow/calf. I find by November most of the bulls have recovered from the rut which seems to peak in the early weeks of October and are out there feeding hard to put on some lost weight for the winter. Like I said, focus on high nutrient food areas and you should be okay...if you can't find swamps and marshes with good cover then of course there is always the south facing slopes. But you're gonna have to pound ground and look for em...don't have too much luck that time of year from any sort of vehicle.

jg
10-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the insight. My LEH is for a bull. I love to hike so that sounds good. I heard there is an old burn in the area - that may be good if I can find it. Thanks again.

10-26-2009, 12:40 PM
i have found when exploring new area, if you have time go for a couple days driving. do a quick morning hunt then drive and finnish with an evening hunt. look for sign you will pick up on where they are by covering ground. dont just rip around but look at the bank , mud puddles, snow etc.
once you find a good supply of tracks you have an area to hunt and focus on. this is what i did this year never been to where i was and we shot out 2 bulls

MuleyMadness
10-26-2009, 03:15 PM
The big old burn is on Greenstone Mountain...and is in 3-19a..I'm sure there are plenty of burns around but nothing recent there in the last while. Plenty of swamps and marshes though.

jg
10-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the tips so far. I appreciate it.

I hope to find a big mulie laying around also.

Rob
10-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Had a bull draw for 319b, 3 years ago. We hunted hard, the weather was the shits, temps just above 0 and lots of rain/freezing rain. We saw one bobcat. Hike lots, and good luck. Rob

Caveman
10-27-2009, 07:49 PM
The older burns on the "B" side are grown up to the point that it's so thick you'll have a hard time seeing one in there

johnk
10-27-2009, 08:07 PM
The older burns on the "B" side are grown up to the point that it's so thick you'll have a hard time seeing one in there

Not totally accurate! There is a small burn from '99 that has produced recently. Three years ago we harvested two immature bulls on Sept. 22nd and in November I accompanied a client from the island on his hunt and in three days we counted 40 moose of which lots were repeats. Put him on a 4 pt. bull at 100 yds. and he missed 4 times! Thought it was extreme buck fever but upon later inspection it turned out to be loose scope mounts. On the last day it was a blizzard and all four tires were chained and in the first hour we counted eight moose, all cows/calves. We stayed for three hours and just barely made it back out.

PG, incoming PM!

sneg
10-27-2009, 08:38 PM
been there last weekend.snowed hard in the morning. checked fresh tracks.tons of moose.seen bunch of hunters squared innature in swamp trying to drive it out of bushes.spooke nice young bull few dozen yards away. wish i did not canceled mu tag already (not that I complain). tons of deer. as said above find food source and scout there. i will never drive again there for road hunt.place is chocked with road hunters.just walk to bush and shoot.