PDA

View Full Version : wt vs mulie sounds

aletheuo
10-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Looking at getting a couple deer calls - both for now and 'yote season. Is there any difference between, for instance, a fawn distress call in the two species? What about bleet as well?

aletheuo
10-25-2009, 02:14 PM
90 views, no replies... hmmm. In your experience does a fawn distress work equally well for both mulie and whitey does? What about bleets? Give me some "best guesses" here.

Steeleco
10-25-2009, 02:32 PM
I have one of those "doe bleat in a can" units. Presumably being made in the US of A they're made for WT deer. Had some interesting results with mulies before. Sometimes they stop, sometimes they run like hell!!

I wonder if it's more a decision of the deer than the noise being heard??

ultramafic
10-25-2009, 02:48 PM
I have one of those little plastic Buck Grunt tubes also presumably made for white tails but I use it on mule deer periodically.

When we are just out for a drive and see a group of deer I try it on them. I have noticed ( believe ) that it confuses the young bucks and does sometimes for quite a long time. The older deer dont seem as interested in it. I wont use it while out walking the bushes unless I have spooked a deer that I am hoping to try to freeze to glass.

I think its made by HS precision or sports or something like that and its a little accordian tube with a small hard plastic tube with a reed in it. Its not overly loud or big and mine came with a lanyard I can put it over my neck.

I used to have one of those Cmere Deer Doe bleet/fawn distress calls but when my storage locker got broken some years ago into it was taken along with my hunting jacket. I never really got much use out of that thing.

I also have one of those bag of rattling sticks but have not gotten much use out of them so I couldnt tell you much about its effectiveness. I dont get out deer hunting enough unfortunately. My original bag of sticks which was made of wood and sounded pretty good was also taken in the break in referred to above and I could not find that kind again and wound up with a set of plastic rattling sticks which I do not believe sounds quite as good as the wooden ones did.

mike

lilhoss
10-25-2009, 03:08 PM
I have only hunted Blacktail and Muleys.Had the blacktails come into a doe bleat,and rattling antlers.Never had them respond to a grunt tube.Called in a few muleys with mostly the doe bleat, and the grunt tube,once.Muleys don't usually react to the grunt tubes as it's not a sound they normally make.It may have been a coincidence,but two bucks came in to it in a timber patch.Always use my "elk" brand doe bleat.http://www.gamecalls.net/huntingproducts/dtb.jpg
It wil stop them ,at least for a look and maybe a shot.Also works great on calling in the black bears.

showtimebc
10-25-2009, 04:58 PM
i've used the fawn call with great success on blacktails, and just this week tried it on a few muleys for the first time. muley does seem to come in, but not as aggressive as the blacktails. gets the deer to movin anyhow.