PDA

View Full Version : grouse cleaning???

cndnmike
10-23-2009, 10:02 PM
so I'm heading out after work tomorrow on yet another evening search for a blackie (black tail or black bear... anything for the low stocked freezer)

Tomorrow I will also finally bring a grouse gun as it seems that is all I'm seeing as of late...does being the exception...

Can anybody tell me about the "standing on the wings" trick to cleaning grouse?

I've seen video on how to do it and am confidant enough to give it a try, however I want to know...is it better to do it right away on a warm bird or let the bird cool down first?

Big Daddy Ryan
10-23-2009, 10:04 PM
I find its best to do it right away, it is really pretty easy just stand on the wings and pull on the feet and thats about all that there is to it.

Ddog
10-23-2009, 10:15 PM
warm birds are easier.
just stand on the wings close to the body of the bird and pull firmly and steadily.

coquitlam
10-23-2009, 10:40 PM
I have done it with grouse, works great. I just wonder if it works with ducks

BearStump
10-23-2009, 10:41 PM
flip the bird on his back pull firm and slow on the feet till every thing basically slides inside out. better right away, but not a problem if you wait a few hours. just dont try that one if the birds have been in the back of the truck in sub zero temps for half the day. doesnt work on frozen birds.(I wont make that mistake again.)

Blktail
10-24-2009, 06:07 AM
That works best on warm birds. It doesn't always work if a wing is broken.

After you have pulled the head and guts out, you are left with the breast attached to the back and wings. Just snap the back off and cut the wings at the shoulder.

Remember to leave a wing attached if you are in the bush as you must leave evidence of species and sex until you are home or camp.