PDA

View Full Version : R.A.W course what a joke whats next?

log_roller
10-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Effective January 2010: To obtain a British Columbia hunter number applicants must pass a reading and writing course (R.A.W) with a minimum score of 85 percent. The R.A.W was designed to prepare all new hunters for The Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Education (CORE) Program There is no cost however applicants must purchase a R.A.W textbook for $35.00 and can be obtained at your local BC access center or sporting goods retailer. upon completion of the reading and writing course (R.A.W) you will be issued a R.A.W certificate that must be produced to your C.O.R.E instructor for verification.

Shooter
10-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Gotta prove you can read the regs I guess.

log_roller
10-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Gotta prove you can read the regs I guess.

Thats what I was thinking

bsa30-06
10-23-2009, 08:37 PM
just another way to get $35.00 from anyone wanting to go hunting.They dont give a shit if you can read the regs, hell you dont even have to speak/understand english to get a drivers license.

Paulyman
10-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Thats what I was thinking

I know a few guys that are signed up to take it already.

TheDuckinator
10-23-2009, 08:38 PM
...Ive ran into a few hunters that could barely speak English but I HIGHLY doubt they even had green cards let alone hunting licenses. I already got mine so who cares :p

Squirrelnuts
10-23-2009, 08:39 PM
There is no cost however applicants must purchase a R.A.W textbook for $35.00

Well, then there is a cost, isn't there? You'd think being able to read the C.O.R.E. test well enough to pass would be some indicator of your ability to read... More bullshit bureaucracy.

log_roller
10-23-2009, 08:49 PM
just another way to get $35.00 from anyone wanting to go hunting.They dont give a shit if you can read the regs, hell you dont even have to speak/understand english to get a drivers license.

gotta pay for the Olympics some how why not from our pockets. this reminds me of aircare or our new carbon tax:sad:

30.06 Hunter
10-23-2009, 08:54 PM
:razz::razz::razz::razz::razz:
*****. Good one.

log_roller
10-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Its sad the b.s there putting all these new hunters through.

Jimbo
10-23-2009, 09:03 PM
I see the day coming when the R.A.W. course will be mandatory for HuntingBC membership. :wink:

Jagermeister
10-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Should apply that to driver's licences too.

theK.G.B
10-23-2009, 09:15 PM
jeez, glad that over with eh! sucks i gotta put the gf through it now

Legi0n
10-24-2009, 12:01 AM
...Ive ran into a few hunters that could barely speak English but I HIGHLY doubt they even had green cards let alone hunting licenses. I already got mine so who cares :p

Been there too.
I don't think the $35 is warranted but I do support the language test.

ps: English is not my first language

FLHTCUI
10-24-2009, 07:33 AM
Looks like I am eating Crow !!!
edited for reasons above and below.

moosinaround
10-24-2009, 07:44 AM
Effective January 2010: To obtain a British Columbia hunter number applicants must pass a reading and writing course (R.A.W) with a minimum score of 85 percent. The R.A.W was designed to prepare all new hunters for The Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Education (CORE) Program There is no cost however applicants must purchase a R.A.W textbook for $35.00 and can be obtained at your local BC access center or sporting goods retailer. upon completion of the reading and writing course (R.A.W) you will be issued a R.A.W certificate that must be produced to your C.O.R.E instructor for verification.
Ummmm...................................is there a link to this info?? I am thinking that april fools has come early?? I will call BS on this! Moosin:wink:

500grhollowpoint
10-24-2009, 07:45 AM
Its sad the b.s there putting all these new hunters through.

You mean this thread, right? I couldn't find a link to it. I'm not the google master but I did a half a dozen searches and searched the Ministry website. Methinks "What a joke" in the title of this thread is no coincedence.

7mag700
10-24-2009, 08:35 AM
Ummmm...................................is there a link to this info?? I am thinking that april fools has come early?? I will call BS on this! Moosin:wink:

Moosin beat me to it. Is it April already?

7m7

Stone Sheep Steve
10-24-2009, 08:41 AM
If this isn't a joke............
My guess is that too many charges have ended up in court where the defendant claims...."no speaky ingrish" .....and has subsequently gotten off scott free....or at least cost the courts some unecessary money.

SSS

BearStump
10-24-2009, 08:58 AM
new .243 for 11 yr old son................$500
core course...................................$160
new R.A.W. course..........................$35
license and tag...............................$60
boots............................................$ 60
cheap raingear................................$50
------------
Damn near...............$1000 bucks
crap, this is frickin ridiculus maybe I'll just leave him in hockey and forget the hunting till he can afford it himself (maybe another 10 yrs.)
sure doesnt fall in line with promoting new hunters

bakerrob
10-24-2009, 09:23 AM
What is sad is that a young person just getting ready to start hunting has to spend all there cash on courses. These should be put back into the schools, they give credits now for not puking in gym class for pete's sake.
They wonder why hunting numbers are down?????

500grhollowpoint
10-24-2009, 09:24 AM
No one has posted a link yet...settle down y'all....

30.06 Hunter
10-24-2009, 02:05 PM
:razz::razz::razz::razz::razz:
*****. Good one.

Amazing how many people actually took this seriously.

303Brit
10-24-2009, 06:21 PM
This is going to piss the wife off severely, she didn't get to take this course this year as i was deployed for 2 of them, and then she was fnishing her nursing program off at the Hospital for the thrid one. Now she has to take a literacy course HA.

Course I'm pissed about forking out the extra cash, gotta spend enough freakin money to begin with, so she is kitted out comfortably and for her course.

If they upped the fines for say things like POACHED ELK then people could have less expenditure on stupid things like a RAW course. I'm sure it won't take long before someone cries discrimination, you can't force the non-english speaking Canadians to take a RAW course.

scope
10-24-2009, 07:05 PM
do you need this if you already have a hunters number? like core and pal?

JoshLedoux
10-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Requiring that a hunter can legibally read a synopsis and write down their license info? Sound like a good idea to me. As a guy who sees numerous people incapable of basic communication through either of our country's two languages via speach or be it through script I think its about time some more stringent rules apply. I realize the pain in the ass this is for those who have no trouble as its another hoop for them to jump through. But if it helps me alleviate the ball of anxiety I get in the pit of my stomach when a person's translator asks me for 6 mule deer tags then I'm all for it!

500grhollowpoint
10-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Wow I just read on the ministry website everyone needs to take it. Even if you have an existing liscence. What a piss off.

landphil
10-25-2009, 01:06 AM
Can you say "grouse tags"????:lol::lol:

500grhollowpoint
10-25-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm gonna come up with a good one. Stay tuned. Going outside to clean the garage and think...

una
10-25-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm with Josh on this - I think it's a great idea. Having seen first hand/sold tags to non-english speaking hunters, and then heard their stories (second hand, albeit) I get rather nauseous thinking that I have contributed to unethical hunts/practices.

And the $35 dollar fee for the book might not even need to be spent - the original post did say that there was no fee for the exam. So if you can read this post, chances are you probably won't be needing the book (a bit of an inference on my part).

Squamch
10-25-2009, 09:00 PM
I dunno if anyone's actually put it this bluntly yet...but this is a joke folks.
Not true.
A falsehood you could even say.

500grhollowpoint
10-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Lol yes but not everyone reads all the replies

Jagermeister
10-25-2009, 09:17 PM
Crap! Just when I thought that reality had really set in and you have to tell me it is a hoax. That's being mean and cruel to a redneck english speaker.

huntwriter
10-25-2009, 10:19 PM

Is it already the first of April? :shock:

jethrobuddy
10-25-2009, 10:29 PM
If you can read and write........Just do it! What is the big deal?

martyonthewater
10-26-2009, 07:51 AM
well I will be paying that $35 for my oldest boy, the youngest will re-use the book. I will then offer it up to any friend or such that is considering a future in hunting

Chuck
10-26-2009, 09:01 AM
What's next?.......Publishing the names of law breakers!

Ozone
10-26-2009, 09:08 AM
I have heard you must beable to get the 85% in both french and english:wink:

huntwriter
10-26-2009, 10:05 AM
What's next?.......Publishing the names of law breakers!

That wouldn't be a bad idea. Public humiliation and ridicule is one of a few ways to lower crime.

Angel
10-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Heres my .02$....... With all the publicized poaching this year and recent years I dont see how making new hunters have to learn a little more is a terrible thing. It helps to learn as much as you can to be a knowledgeable hunter. Who knows maybe it will help to eliminate the odd poached moose or elk.

cloverphil
10-26-2009, 01:08 PM
I'd say this course should be mandatory for getting a drivers licence too !!!!
coincidently I just called a friend of mine who is a CORE and PAL Instructor / Examiner and he hasn't heard anything about it for January 2010 . . .

Jagermeister
10-26-2009, 01:25 PM
What's next?.......Publishing the names of law breakers!The Quesnel Rod & Gun Club did this at one time. I'm not sure why it was discontinued, there may have been a legal issue. The fact is that fish and wildlife infractions are posted to the internet by a government agency and it is public record, I don't see why it cannot be done again.

huntwriter
10-26-2009, 09:56 PM
I don't believe this. It has been said several time that this whole R.A.W. thing is a JOKE and yet people still post as if it was real.:biggrin:

Mind you I can understand that some think this is real, living under a government hell bent on sucking the last penny out of peoples pockets with scam after scam.

landphil
10-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Mind you I can understand that some think this is real, living under a government hell bent on sucking the last penny out of peoples pockets with scam after scam.

Yes, it is WAY too believable isn't it? The give-away was when I googled it and the only link that seemed relavent was for HBC:lol:

wolverine
10-26-2009, 10:50 PM
I think they give you two free grouse tags for next year when you buy the RAW book though so it's not that bad of a deal.

huntwriter
10-26-2009, 11:41 PM
I think they give you two free grouse tags for next year when you buy the RAW book though so it's not that bad of a deal.

Interesting I didn't know that. That makes it worthwhile then. :mrgreen:

The Hermit
10-27-2009, 12:11 AM
The MOE and the Ministry of Mental Health are planning on a joint initiative for Spring 2010 to implement a required Mental Health evaluation for all hunters in the Province that use firearms. Apparently they expect it will take about three years to complete all the analysis... a few people will be required to undergo treatment for sure. The goal of this program is to eliminate people with serious cases of egomania, antler envy, and pervasive cranium-anal implants! Road Hunters, Guides and Journalists are their top priority!

huntwriter
10-27-2009, 12:45 AM
The MOE and the Ministry of Mental Health are planning on a joint initiative for Spring 2010 to implement a required Mental Health evaluation for all hunters in the Province that use firearms. Apparently they expect it will take about three years to complete all the analysis... a few people will be required to undergo treatment for sure. The goal of this program is to eliminate people with serious cases of egomania, antler envy, and pervasive cranium-anal implants! Road Hunters, Guides and Journalists are their top priority!

If we are to believe the followers of the Freudian religion, there is not a single person alive on this planet that is not in need of psychiatric treatment, counseling and guidance.:smile:

The Hermit
10-27-2009, 07:47 AM
If we are to believe the followers of the Freudian religion, there is not a single person alive on this planet that is not in need of psychiatric treatment, counseling and guidance.:smile:

And your point is? LOL

huntwriter
10-27-2009, 10:46 AM
And your point is? LOL

That there is a huge customer base for psychologists and that with the continued rise of influence that profession has on society and government, I would not be surprised to see one day that a mental evaluation becomes a mandatory prerequisite to obtain a firearm in addition to the firearm safety course. I hope I didn't give any lunatic ideas to someone in the government with that comment.:-) You just never know these days.;)

BlacktailStalker
10-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Good !!
If that eliminates a certain group of people who "me speak no english" but some way end up with their CORE/PAL, great.
However it won't help the fight against poachers ("me speak no english" or "I speak english very well sir" p.o.s's will still do their thing) and is an annoyance to those with sufficient education (maybe they could/should put in to effect a GR.12 graduate exemption for adults)

500grhollowpoint
10-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Holy crap they just keep coming......

landphil
10-28-2009, 01:17 AM
Holy crap they just keep coming......

No doubt, it looks like some people have trouble with reading:roll::roll: