PDA

View Full Version : Region 7-08 Moose Deer

Buchaneer
10-23-2009, 10:05 AM
I have just returned from region 7-08 after a 12 day hunting trip having discovered that the moose and deer population seems to be way down from previous years. We have hunted that ar for the last 11 years with regular success and seeing many deer and moose.

However, this year the story is quite different. Not a whole lot of animals seen by a good number of hunters. A few hunting groups had good success, but for the most part the sightings and filling of moose tags was quite low. Even hunters with LEH's were leaving emptyhanded! Has anyone else noted this change from the norm for this region?

jrod113
10-23-2009, 11:00 AM
I've also just returned from a 9 day hunt in 7-08, with no moose or deer. My group has been hunting the area for 20+ years, and have never seen such a slow year. I couldn't help but notice, a staggering amount of both wolf and grizzly track in the area. Quite possibly directly effecting the deer and moose population. We can't forget about the camps with full hanging racks though, cause I saw more of those than I did moose. One. Haha

KB90
10-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Some family members had 2 cow draws in 7-08. On thanksgiving weekend between our group there four moose shot. 2 cows a calf and a Immy. And we seen 4 other moose on the weekend. We also watched someone shoot a cow, right ahead of us. Also my little cousins both took a deer each. It was an awesome 4 day hunt. It was one of our best years yet out there.

pitbell
10-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Way too many wolves.

KB90
10-23-2009, 11:24 AM
On a side note I have never seen so many people in my life.
Opening day calf season + thankgiving weekend = Lots of people.

While gutting the moose 3 vehicles drove by within 10 minutes and a man magically appeared out of the bush 200 yards from us.

Road Hunters everywhere.

d6dan
10-23-2009, 01:27 PM
On a side note I have never seen so many people in my life.
Opening day calf season + thankgiving weekend = Lots of people.

While gutting the moose 3 vehicles drove by within 10 minutes and a man magically appeared out of the bush 200 yards from us.

Road Hunters everywhere.

Well, I was there on that weekend and shot my moose, but You must have been somewhere I wasn't because I didn't run into too many hunters. The ones we talked to said It was slow hunting. not like in the past. We also saw 2 mulie does and lots of chickens.

mikeman20
10-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Was in 7-09 last week, and it took me 7 full days of hunting before I even saw some moose, a bull, calf and cow all together across the lake. Got the bull (my first animal) and didnt see anything else till I went home!
All the guys with me agreed it was a very slow year

SKYLINE
10-23-2009, 07:12 PM
I spent some time out that way last week as well. The only thing that I did see lots of was garbage. Every campsite that wasn't full of hunters was full of their garbage. Seeing stuff like that makes me embarrassed to call myself a hunter.

d6dan
10-23-2009, 07:16 PM
I spent some time out that way last week as well. The only thing that I did see lots of was garbage. Every campsite that wasn't full of hunters was full of their garbage. Seeing stuff like that makes me embarrassed to call myself a hunter.

Well, did you pick it up or leave it?.

xcaribooer
10-23-2009, 07:25 PM
I was next door in 7-6 and noticed the same thing. A bizillion hunters and danmed few animals. lots of grizz and wolf tracks. We were however lucky enough to fill a cow moose leh but it was not the norm. I would say sucess rates for most there were quite low.

SKYLINE
10-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Well, did you pick it up or leave it?.

Picked up a truck box full, but that didn't even touch what was out there.

d6dan
10-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Picked up a truck box full, but that didn't even touch what was out there.
Right on, I picked up someones garbage too..Lazy slobs.:-x

Woody
10-23-2009, 07:51 PM
spent a week up there as well way to many people, looking at finding a new area next year after having many productive years in the past

PGK
10-23-2009, 07:55 PM

Thanks for cleanin up. Glad to hear I'm not the only one out there coming out of the bush with a truckload of junk and cans. Calf season is always a gongshow with people from the south who figure since they don't live here they can huck their junk all over the place.

Shooter
10-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Ya locals never litter :roll:

curt
10-24-2009, 01:16 PM
706 last year was in the same situation last year not 1 moose spotted in 5 full days of hunting

10-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Sounds like there was enough of us up there from this form that we could have had a really good get together. We were up there for the calf opening, same observation.....lots of hunters and had to hunt our asses off for what we did get.

moosinaround
10-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Where do the moose and deer go??? Are there good flights to the Bahamas?? Do they get the wildlife special for air fare and accomodation?? If the moose are not where you are looking for them, then go where they are!! You might have to try some different strategies than what "you have done for the last 20 years" There are moose and deer out there. Their habitat has taken a beating the last few years. They have "adapted", which seems strange don't it?? I have found that they are using older cuts, staying close to "any taller" cover for safety. Just need to change your hunting techniques and mix it up a bit. Wear out a little boot leather instead of tire rubber. Good luck next year!! Moosin

d6dan
10-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Sounds like there was enough of us up there from this form that we could have had a really good get together. We were up there for the calf opening, same observation.....lots of hunters and had to hunt our asses off for what we did get.
Shit!, we could have had a hell of a time!..Lets plan a trip next year...:lol:

d6dan
10-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Moosin, they say animals a dumb. Not!. Whats your theory?. Oh PGK I forgot, Only southerners Litter..