PDA

View Full Version : Is camo necessary for hunting moose in 3-17?

Sangstercraft
10-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Hey guys, what an awesome forum. Just joined, and looking forward to learning more about this sport. I've got a LEH for a bull moose in 3-17 for November. Never hunted for moose before, and never been to that region. Long story short: Should I buy camo for moose hunting? I've heard it doesn't really matter, but a lot of the pics on this forum are of guys wearing camo.. Any ideas?

Steeleco
10-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Not required but nice to have. That late in the season, you may even need Snow camo?? But in the end, it will all be up to the quarry. Some spook easy, some will stand there till their last breath. LOL

Welcome to the site, good luck on your hunt, and don't forget pictures!!

rishu_pepper
10-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Good to have something to break up your outline, although word is moose have terrible eyesight. ;)

As a new member, you are required to post a joke, otherwise Mr. Dean will get mad :D

tooty
10-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Moose pick up movement very well.Color doesn't seem to matter.Move slowly,quietly,stop alot and listen and look for something that's not a tree.

bighornbob
10-23-2009, 09:59 AM
I would worry more about where you going to find a moose in 3-17 then what you are wearing. I have hunted that unit lots of times and I have never even seen any moose sign. I hear they are around but you have your work cut out for you with that hunt.

BHB

7mag700
10-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Good discussion on camo here:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=39402&highlight=camo

Welcome to the site,

7m7

digger dogger
10-23-2009, 10:09 AM
if you get a moose in 3-17, i'll buy you a camo suit. but i wanna see pics of the area including a noticable land mark... bhb is right! i've hunted 3-17 for over a decade. i've seen a couple piles of moose eggs, but that is about it.. good luck. (i hope to buy you some camo) :-) dave

lip_ripper00
10-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Moose pick up movement very well.Color doesn't seem to matter.Move slowly,quietly,stop alot and listen and look for something that's not a tree.

X2 plus the fact they have 2 satellite dishes mounted on their head, and their sense of smell is incredible

tomahawk
10-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Camo is the least of your worries as a new moose hunter. Wind direction, habitat, etc are far more important.

Hemi
10-23-2009, 11:34 AM
I wear camo I bow hunt and rifle. I always have a blaze orange touque in my pack. I will pu that on when I hunker down in a hole and am waiting. Or if it is a busy area I will wear it none stop. I can just pull my hood up to hide it if need be..

frenchbar
10-23-2009, 12:18 PM
I would worry more about where you going to find a moose in 3-17 then what you are wearing. I have hunted that unit lots of times and I have never even seen any moose sign. I hear they are around but you have your work cut out for you with that hunt.

BHBx2 your works cut out for ya ..camo ..or no camo..

ZENYO
10-23-2009, 12:51 PM

BHB

x3. I've been hunting this unit forthe last 10 years and have seen the odd sign but that's about it.

frenchbar
10-23-2009, 01:02 PM
There use to be a few moose in the tom cole ..hat crk area but have mostly been shot off..

bubba350
10-23-2009, 02:36 PM
This year I was glassing a cut block which i had taken my muley buck from the day befor, when I heard a branch break 200 yrds. (I was sitting in front of a stand of trees on a hill overlooking the cutblock in full real tree green camo)the wind was at my face. so I waited silently. 5 minutes later a cow moose with two calfs emerged from the treeline and fed all the way in to ten yards from me. I had a bull LEH and was hoping that a bull would emerge, but to no evail.... I sat there silently for a half hour until i purposley breathed heavy to let them know i was there. They were starteled and made some distance between us. but still cotinued to feed. I let out a couple bull grunts and completely confused them. eventually they disapered into where they came from......

In my opinion CAMO WORKS!

Later

Bubba

wolverine
10-23-2009, 03:06 PM
This year I was glassing a cut block which i had taken my muley buck from the day befor, when I heard a branch break 200 yrds. (I was sitting in front of a stand of trees on a hill overlooking the cutblock in full real tree green camo)the wind was at my face. so I waited silently. 5 minutes later a cow moose with two calfs emerged from the treeline and fed all the way in to ten yards from me. I had a bull LEH and was hoping that a bull would emerge, but to no evail.... I sat there silently for a half hour until i purposley breathed heavy to let them know i was there. They were starteled and made some distance between us. but still cotinued to feed. I let out a couple bull grunts and completely confused them. eventually they disapered into where they came from......

In my opinion CAMO WORKS!

Later

Bubba

Yeah, I agree. Camo works but only if your movement is kept to a minimum. They pick up that just as quick as we do. It never fails to amaze me how well the animals are camoflaged by mother nature but how easily the flick of an ear or tail gives them away. As a hunter that's what I look for. Some sort of movement because if you rely on looking for outlines of animals or antlers you could be eating a lot of track soup. Good field glasses are probably more important that camo.

bforce750
10-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Thats what its all about gettin all camo'd up and goin huntin with your buds

coach
10-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Really.. can a hunter ever possibly own enough camo?

K-1
10-23-2009, 05:22 PM
There has probably been more game shot with a plaid shirt, wool pants and a Stanfield gray wool sweater then camo. As said, find a spot and sit STILL,,, they will walk right past you. My son & I had a cow & calf feeding 11 steps from us, until I moved. The only only thing in the wood that knows your wearing camo is the guy standing beside you. Put your money into a good gun, scope & binos.

bsa30-06
10-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Dont be discouraged there are moose in 3-17 and in the last few years i have seen them more often then deer.As others have said they wont be easy to find.I have seen a cow and calf, and called out a bull to just inside the tree line (never had a clear shot) in the last two years in 3-17.Having said that i was just in the area for 6 days and never saw a doe,buck,bear or moose.Good luck and welcome to hbc.By the way a week or so ago temperatures dropped to minus 10,and there was a little snow, access may be tough to some areas by november go prepared.

oldsalt
10-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Not required, never wore a thing with camo on it and neither had any of our family of hunters and they have been some of the most succesfull hunters and had a ton of people always wanting to hunt with the family.

But having said that, if you want it, won't hurt a bit, may even help in some situations, sometimes it is just nice to feel it gives you an edge and if you feel that then that is up to you.
I have been close enough to pretty well touch animals I hunt and that is while carrying a bright orange pack made of Burlington 10 mile cloth, so although I have nothing against it, I just never have owned any, but that is just me.

frenchbar
10-23-2009, 05:36 PM
I Wear The Camo Pants Because Its A Lot More Comfortable Than Walking Around In Blue Jeans.

ElkMasterC
10-23-2009, 05:55 PM
No.

Movement is 10X more important than camo.
Break up your outline with a shrub, stump rock, stay downwind, keep movements painfully slow.
Wear a Powder Blue Polyester Tuxedo, and you'll have the same chance as if you're wearing RealTree.

eastkoot
10-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Yep, wear camo in the truck and they will never know you are in it,,,

hunter1947
10-24-2009, 05:10 AM
I would where what you want ,if it where me hunting moose I would where what I wanted to ,red ,green ,blue whatever....

Blainer
10-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Should I buy camo for moose hunting? I've heard it doesn't really matter, but a lot of the pics on this forum are of guys wearing camo.. Any ideas?We wear it mostly for the pictures.

lb_billy
10-24-2009, 05:04 PM
I see truck after truck driving by my house all moose season - everyone is decked out with camo. The only truck with weight in the back on the way out are the old guys with orange hats. The other guys are at the grocery store buying club packs of beef and chicken.

I don't know much, 1st year, but I'd have to agree - approach, wind, scent are my priorities.

.308win
10-24-2009, 05:10 PM
I wear camo all the time when im hunting!!..............Is it necessary!?........Heck no!!!............But it sure looks cool!!:wink:8-)

Perry

Frango
10-24-2009, 06:12 PM
I think it is safe to say that camo breaks up your outline better than street clothes. Is it needed? probably not but most modern camo is way better outdoor clothing than the old poly or even wool .Wool pants work. I even take a pair hunting with me but once you tune into new high teck fabrics you are missing out on warmth and comfort..People get used to something they have used for years.To say camo is a waste of time and money is short sighted at best... Camo is more than just trendy .

Sangstercraft
10-29-2009, 01:05 AM
I like ElkMasterC's comment: "Wear a Powder Blue Polyester Tuxedo, and you'll have the same chance as if you're wearing RealTree." haha, you got one I could borrow?? might just try that. Sounds like it's not gonna hurt my chances of finding a moose in 3-17.

OK, here's the joke I'm supposed to tell as a newbie - took me a while to remember it. Think it should be in the CORE chapter about not trespassing, lol

A guy is out duck hunting, and not having any luck. Eventually after moving around a bit he comes to a field and sees some ducks flying overhead. After pumping out a few rounds, a duck falls and lands in the field. As the guy happily walks up to get the duck, a farmer roars up on his tractor and proceeds to rip him a new one. The hunter explains politely that the duck fell in the field and he's just out to pick it up and will quickly be on his way back home. The farmer says 'it's my field so it's my damn duck', and they argue back and forth about who gets to keep the duck. Finally the farmer says "Ok, we'll settle this like men. We'll kick each other in the balls and whoever is left standing at the end gets to keep the duck. Since I thought this up, I get to go first."
Well the hunter's a tough guy, so he braces himself for the kick. The farmer takes a step back like he's about to kick a field goal, then kicks the guy in the balls as hard as he can. The hunter takes about 10 minutes to recover, all the while the farmer's laughing his head off. Finally the hunter's ready for his turn. "Ok, get ready" he says to the farmer... The farmer hops back in his tractor and laughs "Ah, keep the damn duck!"

Elkhound
10-29-2009, 10:58 AM
LOL......I was going to say PM BSA 30-06...he knows 3-17....and I can confirm. I think the moose all packed up and went somewhere else

bsa30-06
10-29-2009, 04:19 PM
LOL......I was going to say PM BSA 30-06...he knows 3-17....and I can confirm. I think the moose all packed up and went somewhere else

I have shared alot of info to fellow HBC members on this area, some have been succesful , and some havent but have always done my best to provide the info the best i can.My track record for the area has been dismal at best but i have taken 1 buck,and 2 cinnamon bears from the area,and helped another member with a nice black bear.Best of luck to anyone hunting that area as it is not going to be a easy hunt.

Gauge
10-29-2009, 04:20 PM
smell , hearing , sight in that order is what i have observed... if they dont hear or smell you, should be good...

300win
10-29-2009, 08:19 PM
No Need; Moose are color blind, In other provinces you are required to use blaze orange when hunting. The main thing is too keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back and don't silohette yourself!!! Have fun!!!

RiverBoatFantasy
10-29-2009, 08:44 PM
No. All you require is good fortune to see one and get a clear shot.

gibblewabble
10-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Camo is not necessary I spent almost 20 years hunting without it and did well, but since I started using camo I have shot most of my animals at about 50 yards whereas before I was usaully shooting at 100 to 150 yards. Helps with spot and stalk hunting and yes it looks cool, I also like to layer my clothing and my old wool pants weigh a ton compared to the newer gear. But if you are starting out and dont have a good rifle and great binos that is where you start, I bought my camo after I had spent thousands on the other gear first.

Sangstercraft
10-30-2009, 12:26 AM
This is the best fricken forum in the world. Frick, i'm looking forward to hunting 3-17, moose or no moose.

hunter1947
10-30-2009, 06:16 AM
Years ago I had on bright red coat as for a red hunting hat when hunting for moose many a times and most of the time I got my moose :smile:.

Ruger4
10-30-2009, 06:47 AM
you'll look cool in the pictures you post of your moose that apparently dont exist there.Look forward to the pictures !!:biggrin:

Sangstercraft
10-30-2009, 10:27 AM
you'll look cool in the pictures you post of your moose that apparently dont exist there.Look forward to the pictures !!:biggrin:

haha, yeah, it's gonna be a lot of scenery shots! and by shots I mean pictures.. :neutral: But it'll be fun just for the experience. I'm taking my younger brother. I'm 29, he's 25.

LeverActionJunkie
10-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Camo isn't required to shoot anything.

gamehunter6o
10-31-2009, 01:53 AM
Camo isn't required to shoot anything.

I agree, but I've heard green willow camo is good for moose. They think your food.

Sangstercraft
11-01-2009, 11:16 PM
I agree, but I've heard green willow camo is good for moose. They think your food.

yeah, and i heard the 'female moose' camo suit is what attracts the bulls..

bsa30-06
11-01-2009, 11:30 PM
where in 3-17 are you heading?

dutchie
11-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Good to have something to break up your outline, although word is moose have terrible eyesight. ;)

As a new member, you are required to post a joke, otherwise Mr. Dean will get mad :D

PS... You do not want to piss off Mr. Dean!

chappy
11-02-2009, 03:31 PM
i find camo underware helps too.

Sangstercraft
11-02-2009, 03:41 PM
PS... You do not want to piss off Mr. Dean!

(Check out post #30 on page 3 for the joke)

Sangstercraft
11-02-2009, 03:45 PM
where in 3-17 are you heading?

At this point I honestly don't know. I've called the C/O up there and asked a few questions of where the legal areas are (don't want to trespass or shoot somewhere unsafe), been reading the forum, and trying to make use of Google Earth for habitat selection.. But have yet to work out the game plan.. Any ideas are always welcome!

bsa30-06
11-02-2009, 05:03 PM
PM sent.....good luck hope it helps give you an idea of the area.

Buckmaster
11-02-2009, 07:36 PM

BHB
There are pockets of moose in 3-17. We have seen them in a few spots consistantly over the last few years.

recon
11-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Como pattern aside,

I have a pricy jacket and bib pants in Realtree ("Hells Canyon" by Browning) the garmets are warm, made of wind proof, soft outer- fleece inner, great pocket locations and access, can easily layer up underneath, and most important- super stealthy! I can move through the bush without the sound of Gortex swishing. swish...swish...swish...swish

I kinda wish it was more subdued, maybe grey or tan, but I dont really care that much.

Sangstercraft
11-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Well, wish I had a more exciting trip update.. Saw some old tracks but nothing fresh. Went up to Blue Earth Lake, looked for fresh tracks in the snow, camped near Twaal Lake and hiked the area thoroughly, explored Veasy, and at sunset, wayyy up on Roberts Creek in the snow, 20kms in, my truck didn't want to start. Man it was getting cold up there. 30 mins later managed to get it going again, and headed down. Normally quite reliable, but of course when you really need it to get you somewhere, that's when these things happen.

All in all, it was great to get out in such beautiful country and hike around with my bro. Part of me wonders why there's a hunt at all for moose in that MU when they seem so scarce in that particular area.

Thanks for all the input, there's a ton of great knowledge on this forum.