PDA

View Full Version : 7 57 B bison

JPY
10-22-2009, 06:55 PM
new to this, I've been reading the threads posted on Bison hunting, can't make out what areas are being talked about. I have a draw for 7 57B Nov. 5 to Nov.19 and I've never been past wonowon, any directions or pointers hints or information that is shared will be welcome. I'll be taking a camper and both a quad and snowmobile.

tomahawk
10-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Bring lots of propane for your camper, if it gets cold your heater won't stop running. There are 2 roads to get into the area, the airstrip where most guys camp is at 24KM and the end of the road for truck traffic. There are a few roads (as listed in your map from the package you got) you can ride your quad on but it is quite restricted and monitored so follow the regs. You can only take your quad to 48KM on the main road that makes its way west toward the Sikanni River. Snowmobiles are allowed wherever. Most people camp at the airstrip which is at the end of the truck rd at 24 km. Bison may be around anywhere depending on how much pressure that the previous hunts have put on them. Lots of times they head for secluded quiet spots once the hunting pushes them around. We have a draw for Nov 20-Dec 05 and will be camping at the airstrip by the 19th likely. Good luck.

Buck
10-22-2009, 07:55 PM
You lucky dog Have fun!

JPY
10-22-2009, 09:30 PM
I've ordered the 1:250,000 map and hope it's better than the one they sent out, old eyes have trouble with small print. The trip is only 2 weeks from now and what I've see from weather Canada the Laird River area is getting some snow and the temps don't look too bad right now. It took a long time to get the draw and just thinking about it makes me feel like a kid getting ready for his first hunt.

partner
10-22-2009, 09:39 PM
You can stay at the Sikanni River Outfitters, they have cabins and a nice lodge. Been there 2 times great people, good food. A bonus is lots of the buffalo hang around their ranch. My brother drew a LEH tag and paid for the guided hunt. He wasn't disappointed. The big bulls don't hang around with herds, most of the big bison in groups will be females. If you are going after bulls I recommend the guide, pricey, but worth the money. I went back last year, opted to do it ourselves, seen lots, just not a big boy like my brother shot. This year my son drew a tag in zone A. We are trying it again without a guide. The outfitter in zone a is MVP. They wanted $250 per day per person to stay at the lodge. That was a little pricey for 4 of us per day. The price was the same for the guide, as Sikanni. Last year we arrived after the big snowfall was melting, all the animals that where forced into the valley bottom where heading back into the mountains. Make sure your batteries are good and change oil in your truck using a good winter oil like a synthetic 0/30. It took an hour to get my truck going last year, thanks to Mike and his propane torch. The weather in that valley can be brutal dress warm. Pm me your phone number if you want more info.

Caveman
10-22-2009, 10:28 PM
There is also the 156 road that most guys don't use. You have to go in 25 km, to get to 57B, but you'll pretty much be on your own. Locals I believe refer to it as the Remington area. That's what I got from a CO in Ft St John, and where I got mine in '07. It's on the south side of the Sikanni before you drop down towards the river. A good number of well heads and openings, and if they're in there you'll find them.

partner
10-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Didn't know about that road. Here is link to a map I did on ImapBC.
http://webmaps.gov.bc.ca/imfx/imf.jsp?session=395074126743
Zone A is the botttom and Zone B is the top red lines
Does this road stay in Zone B or are there forks to Zone A as well?

bridger
10-23-2009, 10:48 AM

different roads. their are two roads into zone a mile 143 and mile 147 the main road into zone b is mile 171

partner
10-23-2009, 11:45 AM
bridger How is the weather up there? Any reports of the buffalo hanging around the highway?

partner
10-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Just spoke to the the people where we will be staying. She said +4 and a light rain. Need some white stuff to bring em down into the valley.

Caveman
10-23-2009, 11:35 PM

Mile 156 or Sikanni Road South Rd does fork into "A" but stays mainly in "B". A few minutes after passing Lily Lake on your left ( You can see it from the road as you drop down),you drop steeply into a creek bottom (Moose Lick Creek) and out again, as you enter 7-57, the first road on your left starts in "B" but does enter "A" as well before it ends. Every other road off the main road is in "B" I'll try to google you a map of the area

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/7-57-B.jpg

The drainage just to the northwest of Lily Lake is Moose Lick Creek and the border of where 7-57 and 58 meet. 7-57 A follows the drainage to where the road crosses it and then you can pretty much draw a line to the waypoint at Marion Lake I entered. Every thing south of that is in "A" and north of that is "B" Join the two way points and you'll be damn close as well.

partner
10-24-2009, 05:27 AM
Found this website keep enlarging it turns to aerial photo, with excellent detail.
http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=Z9LH3

22savage
06-15-2010, 12:44 AM
Are there any issues getting into this area , RE paying for access ,closed roads, ect Thanks in advance for any info you may want to share.

22savage
06-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Anybody know if there is huntable numbers of bison in the nevis creek, 10 mile ,redfern lake area ,was in there 10 years ago but there wasn't any around then or maybe I just didn't see them.

SHAKER
06-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Far as I know they're not there but definatly in the sikani chief drainage. It used to be paridise.... but thats I'll I'm going to say cause I don't want to get banned.

Powerstroke2000
07-10-2014, 03:32 PM
Any more information on this area would be appreciated, as we got an LEH for Bison in this area for this coming season! Have hunted in the area before, seen many Bison, but that wasn't our quarry at the time. Never have hunted the area past the second week of October before, so this will be a couple of weeks past that, so hopefully the snow won't slow a quad down in late October! Any info on the topic would be welcomed.

Thanks.