PDA

View Full Version : Taking my son for his first overnighter

muleychaser
10-22-2009, 06:50 PM
A good friend and myself are taking our sons (Mine-7 1/2, His-10) on their first overnighter. I am taking them to the Chilcotin and going to hike thier butts off in the river breaks. My son is very excited as this is going to be his first tenting experience. You just have to love the Pre-Hunt jitters as you check and re-check your equipment. Lord help me if I bring him back broken.....lol. A mothers love of a child is a scary thing. All will be good but I wish tommorrow was here now.

Gun Babe
10-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Have fun and keep the boys safe...

Cannot wait to read your update of how it all goes....

Alpine85
10-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Sounds like it will be a great time and the talk of the playground for awhile. Make sure you post some pictures of thye smiles when you return... good luck!!
Terry

rattling_junkie
10-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Good luck but make sure you don't push them to hard because if you do you may turn them off to hunting for a very long time, or even for good. My father in-law took his son out when he was a young boy and it was really frigid out. Needless to say my brother in-law is not a hunter. It's a shame because his dad and I love to hunt.

sparkes3
10-22-2009, 08:05 PM
make it a good experience even if you dont connect

Rattler
10-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Good luck and take lots of pictures. Tenting you say eh....Hmmm...make sure you are taking all necessary bear precautions.

BigfishCanada
10-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Be Safe and Enjoy with your boy!!

I have had a few father and son rent my cabins, with a nice warm lakefront chalet the young kids dont get scared off from hunting to quick!

Best of luck up there!

Tuffcity
10-22-2009, 08:50 PM
You might be surprised at the resilience of a 7 year old. I remember one of the first times I took my guy out for the day. We walked and hunted all day with near misses and finally success. As dusk started in he asked what time it was. Thinking he wanted to go home I asked him if he wanted to leave and he replied: "No, I just don't want today to end."

I don't think I'll ever forget that.

Here's to building grand memories with your son!

RC

-get him a decent pair of boots. My boy got home and had the worst blisters but never had a peep out of him.

Ride
10-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Good luck, hope you have a great trip .

Brambles
10-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Have a good time, sleep tight.

hunter1947
10-23-2009, 04:01 AM
They will have a blast on this outing ,looking forward to the pic you take of this trip http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

5 spike
10-23-2009, 04:37 AM
you guys are going to have a blast. now you got me all excited i want to take a trip now.

barry6.5x55
10-23-2009, 06:49 AM
Take a .22 and hundreds of rounds that is how I got my 10 yr old into it, he would get bored of walking , driving ect looking at trees so about 4 -5 times a day I tie balloons to a safe tree or tin cans ect and he fires off a box. Really my hunting became secondary as I realized that is not condusive to good deer hunting but he developed a love of shooting first off and now he actually does hunt deer and ditch chickens...

And yes we clean up our targets after ward, so have a good trip and hopefully you guys see something .

muleychaser
10-23-2009, 07:31 AM
Thanks guys. Last night I showed him on Google Earth where we would be going and he asked me " Dad can we watch the sun go down over the hills? I think that would be awesome!". He loves to walk and hike so I am more excited about the oppurtunity we are about to have than having any chance at shooting the big one. :shock: Don't get me wrong though if the big one shows up I might just have to take a shot.:smile:

OOBuck
10-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Thanks guys. Last night I showed him on Google Earth where we would be going and he asked me " Dad can we watch the sun go down over the hills? I think that would be awesome!". He loves to walk and hike so I am more excited about the oppurtunity we are about to have than having any chance at shooting the big one. :shock: Don't get me wrong though if the big one shows up I might just have to take a shot.:smile:

I have been taking my son out since he was 6 and he's a full blown hunter now, he can't wait to turn 10 and get his junior license. Next year I'm sure my tag will be filled by him.
Up until 2 weeks ago he had only fired a 22 until my hunting partner offered up his 243 for a shot, not a second thought and lead was flying down the barrel.
I guess I'm going looking for a junior 243 soon..

I'll I can say is you won't regret getting your kids involved in hunting and they most likely won't turn out to be A$$holes.. Have fun

mountainman
10-23-2009, 09:20 AM
Took my 7 year old out for a few nights in the wall tent this fall. He loved it, let him shoot the .22 lots. Even when he was cold at night he never complained. Good experience for them if they love hunting like their Dads they tough anything out and it makes lasting impressions on them.

Going to try get him out when I get back for a whitetail hunt!

bruin
10-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Good luck fellas, make sure you take a chicken gun.

Steeleco
10-23-2009, 09:53 AM
A mothers love of a child is a scary thing.

Ain't that the truth, but it will get easier. Trust me on that!! Especially when the kids come home and can't stop talking about how much fun they had, Mom will want you to take them out again. ;-);-);-)

Good luck to all.

300wsm
10-23-2009, 10:59 AM
me and my 6 year old son went out this year on his first trip. minus 12 and not a peep out of him. just take it easy on him and really try not to turn him off of the experience. the kill is truly secondary to the experience especially with a kid. that being said when the little mulie spiker made the mistake of pooping out 100 yards away i didn't hesitate. he held the legs apart for me and even "helped" pull the meat to the road. gut pile was no problem for him but he was well schooled on what to expect. one of my happiest days as a father. plus he has a couple of velvet spikes hanging on a string to rmember the trip by.

enjoy!!!

300wsm