PDA

View Full Version : lab training assistance

longshotz
10-22-2009, 03:56 PM
We have a 16 month old Lab and up to now she has done her training well.
But we have hit a stumbling block.
She is to the point where she will retrieve birds, but the sound of the gun with blanks now seems to put her off.
I use 12g. shot shells with just a primer in them, no powder.
We found this strange as she seemed quite relaxed at the range when we first exposed her to firing. This was done from a distance, until she could sit beside one of us a few feet from the firing line and no problem.
Now she balks at the sound of a primer only, such that she will not stay in place when we bring out the shotgun, much less before we even fire it.
Same gun as we used at the club, by the way.
Any advice or help would be appreciated.
Thanks

10-22-2009, 04:13 PM
give her a break with it, that does sound strange though.
but give her a while to for her to forget. then take her out on a logging road have your buddie bail out with the 12 ga full load no primer pop and apocket full of shells.Keep driving for 100yds pull out the pup and get your bud to shoot. if the dog gets scared stop if it doesnt get the pal to come 10yds closer and shoot then repeat. if the dog starts to get scared stop.
i dont understand what is up with the primer thing but the biggie is dont scare the dog

Chuck
10-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Some kind of unforgetful and not nice experience has put her off. I don't know what needs to be done. Possibly hunt her with another experienced dog so that she can see that it is not bothered.??????

Rob
10-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Could the primer be giving a different pitch that your dogs not liking?

Kasomor
10-22-2009, 11:59 PM
Put the 12 gage away. Read the links below. Back way up, WAY UP.

It may take you months or a year to get your dog over this but think of all the good years ahead that the two of you will have once she is cured.

Good luck, Kasomor

http://www.gundogsupply.com/sws-gun-shy.html

http://www.huntsmith.com/articles/gunshy.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/sportingdogs/news/story?id=3337982

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc8iO8iemLw&feature=PlayList&p=9393BBB0ADA17923&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=25

bruin
10-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Some kind of unforgetful and not nice experience has put her off. I don't know what needs to be done. Possibly hunt her with another experienced dog so that she can see that it is not bothered.??????
I would agree with this, most of our dogs were started with another older, experienced dog. The older dog gets excited about guns and shooting then so does the younger dog.

NEEHAMA
10-23-2009, 10:08 AM
giver a break from banging.

clap your hands lot's when you guy's are playing and she's excited.

if she becomes "gun shy" it's a bit of a no pass so be careful.

if she loves retriving throw the toy against an aluminum shed n shit like that. worked well for me.

good luck

Danny
10-29-2009, 09:51 AM
My lab was gun shy also, she would get up set at the sight of a gun or anything that looked like one .I picked up one of those lucky launchers that shoot the dummy with a 22 blank. It took three shots and now she could care less about the gun sound. It made it fun for her and she forgot all about the sound of gun fire.I had her out a few weeks ago pheasant hunting (for the first time since i tryed the launcher training), she flush two birds at the same time, four shots went off within 15 or 20 feet from her and she didn't even flinch.
Best $200 i've ever spent.
Dan

dutchie
11-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Like Kasomor said.... back way up, WAY UP!

I would start at the basics again.

get a cap gun, pots and pans, clap do somthing loud... get the dog playing and have some one while hitting the pans, poping the cap gun, or clapping really loud... make sure that it is a fun experiance. slowly move closer and closer.

Gun Shyness for a dog can be cured but it is now up to you, because it is going to be a long and frusterating and rewarding experiance.

good luck and the books that Kasomor said... get them, this will help you out alot!

Dutchie

West Coast Waterfowler
11-06-2009, 09:04 PM
When you say the gun 'puts her off', what does she do? That in itself will help figure out what to do to remedy the situation.

TCZuki
11-13-2009, 09:48 PM
when i started shooting over my chocolate, i took him out to the lake and started throwing the dummy like always then i would fire .22LR birdshot into the air while he was on his way to retrieve the dummy that way he was preoccupied with fetching and didnt care about the shot. the first time i ever hunted over him i took him on a leash and while my friends shot i sat with him about 50 yards away,when i could see that he wasnt worried about the guns and just wanted to get the birds then i shot over him with my own gun. now if i get the gun out he goes berserk cuz he knows its time to play. thats what it is to them a giant game. try it, it might help or it might not.