PDA

View Full Version : A good week Antelope & Moose

riflebuilder
10-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Just got back in from the Cabin with my bull moose. This has been a great week of hunting. Last Sunday night I went over to AB to film my brothers Antelope hunt. It was great we had a huge ranch to ourselves and got a great 2 mile stalk on film and he got a B&C Antelope. He had taken 3 days off work for his hunt but we were finnished by 9:00 am. So I said lets go hunt moose. We drove over to Creston, BC and went into the huning camp and sighted in my new 325 WSM and took off into the bush to look for Moose and Elk. We did see a monster Bul Elk near the end of the day but he was 2 miles away and no way to get at him before dark. We figured he would go at least 360. We made our way back to the cabin and my Brothers Guide had shown up so we started to plan the next mornings hunt over a great chilli dinner.(need the warmth in the cabin after the fire goes out). While we were sitting around BSing my brother sarted to laugh about an articale he was reading in a hunitng magazine about two gals hunting antelope and at the end of the article the last comment was "Now how about Moose"

The next morning we got up had breakfast and headed out. After about an hour drive we got to the valley we had decided the night before to check out first. It was just getting light as we pulled onto a landing and got out of the truck to start glassing. The weather was terrible rain and sleet so we got back into the truck and just glassed from there. We had been glassing for about 30 minutes and we were about to leave to go glass a couple of other valley's when Shane the guide spotted some black moving trough the trees on the other side of the valley. So we all get out of the truck to get a better look. It was about 20 minutes before we got a good look at the moose and it was a small bull. We quickly planned a stalk and headed down an old skid trail. the bull was on a high ridge overlooking the valley so we got blow him keeping the wind in our faces. we could see him trashing a small tree and every time we cow called he would just rip the tree to shreds. We hiked up a parralel ridge closing the gap to about 250 yards. My brother got ready and we cow called again. the bull came out to the edge of the ridge to check out the calling and my brother took the shot. The bull buckeled and turned maybe going 30 feet before dropping. This is the first animal my brother has shot with his custom 338-284. it sure put the moose down and he was pretty stoked. After getting the chores out of the way we started to drag the moose down the mountain. After about 150 yards I dropped my rifle when i slipped on a wet log. The gun fell on the scope and the barrel burried its self in the snow. After the few required explict words I started to clean out the barrel. As I was cleanning the snow out of the barrel Shane yells out Moose!! I didn't quite hear what he said and then my Brother is yelling "There There" all I heard was "Bear Bear". I was thinking that I really didn't want to shoot a bear but when they yelled out that it was a big one I figured OK we can get it on film and I need more bear footage anyway. I stuff three rounds into the rifle and step up to Kevin and Shane to see these bears they were talking about. Well I couldn't see the bears so I am asking where are they? My brother said on the far ridge, I looked and said "hell thats no Bear thats a big bull moose". They looked at me like I was an idiot and away we went after the bull.

We crossed the ravine to the next ridge when the wind sarted to shift behind us so I grabbed a rest on an old stump and tried to see the bull through me scope but all I could see was a fuzzy dark blob. I wiped off the scope the best I could nd threw it back up and I could barily make out the Bull. He knew something was up and started to turn to go so I took the shot. It was about 450 yards but the shot was good and he stagered from the hit. I quickly followed up with another shot putting the Bull down.

So it was great day two moose and lots of good meat for the family.

10-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Sounds like GOOD times !!!

I 've always wanted to try for an Antelope too, very cool hunt.

But where are the pic's ....... most show pic's?

Where are you Gate house .... ban time Man !

Congrats !!

CT

Ajsawden
10-22-2009, 05:48 PM
you know you can be banned if you don't post pictures right?!?

leadpillproductions
10-22-2009, 05:54 PM
need pics....

blackbart
10-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Great story.

Apparently the gun is not off!

Pics are over-rated. For those that want to get their jollies off visually, please watch hunter1947's video of an elk getting funky on himself.

Tron
10-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Congrat's to both of you. Sounds like an exciting hunt

Pic's would be great.

hunter1947
10-23-2009, 04:03 AM
Sounds like you had a very productive trip ,congrats.