PDA

View Full Version : Looking for moose

Dale
01-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Hey everyone, I'm moving to BC in late spring and I'm looking for some advice on good locations for moose hunting. I do a lot of hunting but moose is definetly my favorite. Here in Manitoba I usually do the late season in December, long after the rut. Looking to do some early season calling for big bulls. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

todbartell
01-09-2006, 09:35 PM
Region 7 :wink:

lip_ripper00
01-09-2006, 10:09 PM
7-13:wink::wink:

CanuckShooter
01-10-2006, 07:49 AM
I hear the Kootenays is where the real big moose are...[evil grin]..all the moose in region 7 are girlie moose....

Elkaholic
01-10-2006, 08:03 AM
there is no moose left in the kootenays ... for real!

butcher
01-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Dale, depending on where you are moving to and how far you want to travel region 7 has lots of moose as does region six. On some of our hunts you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a moose.

MB_Boy
01-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Dale......good on ya for making the move! I pulled out of MB about 11-12 years ago and don't regret it at all.

You will be sure to love the country out here!

abbyfireguy
01-10-2006, 10:21 AM
5-13,6-1,7-11,7-12......lots of lakes with rainbow too for some awesome fishing.........

talver
01-10-2006, 10:36 AM
region 6 or 7 would be my choice

PGKris
01-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Pick a spot north of quesnel and go hunting. Doesn't really matter. :D

oldtimer
01-10-2006, 03:25 PM
no moose left up here !!!!!! try the kootenays.:redface:

CanuckShooter
01-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Oh man.......I don't believe it......telling everyone your best moose hunting spots....the woods will be crawling with urbanites next season.....they'll probably cancel the calf season......but in the Kootenays they'lol never run out of huge...read that...HUGE bull moose...one on every corner....just a turkey shoot..and nice elk....huge whiteys....lots of hungry grizz...why waste time going north....it's cold up here...gas is expensive...the roads are bad...there is no medical care...emergency services have been cut back....and all of the moose are girlies....

meat hunter
01-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Hey shooter ,"I think thou doth protest too much". Hey Dale region 7, pink mtn and north, region 6 hwy 37 all the way to the yukon border. Funny thing about those moose up that far north, they step north over the 60th lat and the become the famoose Alaskan Yukon moose, 2 steps south and they are just plain ol canadian moose.......but waaay bigger. I speak the truth.

youngfellla
01-10-2006, 10:05 PM
Pick a spot north of quesnel and go hunting. Doesn't really matter. :D

That pretty much sums it up!

Jagermeister
01-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Dale,
Where in BC are you planning to move to?

And Oldtimer, shouldn't you be at work or something?

Brambles
01-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Oh man.......I don't believe it......telling everyone your best moose hunting spots....the woods will be crawling with urbanites next season.....they'll probably cancel the calf season......but in the Kootenays they'lol never run out of huge...read that...HUGE bull moose...one on every corner....just a turkey shoot..and nice elk....huge whiteys....lots of hungry grizz...why waste time going north....it's cold up here...gas is expensive...the roads are bad...there is no medical care...emergency services have been cut back....and all of the moose are girlies....

Considering the Kootenays is all limited entry for moose and most of the moose in the kootenays are classified as shiras, which happen to be the smallest kind of moose My vote is for Region 7. The region 4 Elk are ok, not huge, definitly not like the elk up in Prince George area, hell that area was closed down for years and when they opened it back up again they had to re-write the record books;) The mountains in the kootenays are too steep, we get too much snow and there is no cell service to call for help when the road washes out and you truck is down in a 300 foot creek bottom. Cougars are in every tree lurking, the squirrls have huge fangs and that almost extinct species called grizzly bears still thrives and come to the sound of gunshots. No joking, they do.

CanuckShooter
01-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Considering the Kootenays is all limited entry for moose and most of the moose in the kootenays are classified as shiras, which happen to be the smallest kind of moose My vote is for Region 7. The region 4 Elk are ok, not huge, definitly not like the elk up in Prince George area, hell that area was closed down for years and when they opened it back up again they had to re-write the record books;) The mountains in the kootenays are too steep, we get too much snow and there is no cell service to call for help when the road washes out and you truck is down in a 300 foot creek bottom. Cougars are in every tree lurking, the squirrls have huge fangs and that almost extinct species called grizzly bears still thrives and come to the sound of gunshots. No joking, they do.

LMAO>>>>>Lawd almighty...now your telllllin' about the elk....ruin I tell ya...the region will be in ruins in no time....

PGKris
01-13-2006, 12:09 AM
Should I tell them bout the goats!? And the monster whitetails!! LOL!! You're not hiding down there you know!

elkmaster
01-13-2006, 12:43 PM
:smile: Moose hunting in region 4-23 is definately great as long as you can get a draw, and you can hunt with a bow from Sep 1, 1st day of the bowseason in region 4, right through to the rifle season that starts on OCt 25, and then through the 10 day rifle season, My son had a draw in 2004 and harvested a 7 spike bull with a 53 inch spread that weighed over 1100 lbs, and a young bull!

I know some bow hunters in the Elk Valley that harvested some monster bulls, one of them I seen that greened out at 183 P&Y, that had a 60 inch spread.

There was also some rifle hunters that harvested a few bulls that made B&C also. The LEH system for this area is working great and hunters are harvesting some large bulls, its just getting an LEH draw!

The moose in the Kootenays are all classified as Canadian, The only orginization that I believe that calls them Shiras is SCI club!

Yes, one of these large bull could cross the border in to Montana
and it would be called a Shiras and possiable a new world record Shiras moose!

Good areas to put in for draws are;
4-23 in the upper Elkvalley areas
4-02 in the Lodgepole areas
4-01 Through out the Flathead area
4-03 in the Bloom / ward Creek areas
4-22 through out the Bull River areas

I hope some one gets a draw, I don't have much for luck?

Husky7mm
01-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Go up to prince george and follow the first guy you see wearing camo, :lol: the hunting in the east kootnays is very bad:sad:, there is no game here, go north young man!

PGKris
01-13-2006, 08:31 PM
Follow the first guy you see wearing camo! LOL Good one. Right about the third week of september you could follow any pickup with a quad in the back too! Go north young man! There's critters in them thar hills. Well not just the hills. They're everywhere.

(BRAMBLES!!!! Be quiet about reg 7 elk!! There's no elk here!)

Brambles
01-14-2006, 12:39 AM
(BRAMBLES!!!! Be quiet about reg 7 elk!! There's no elk here!)

UUMMM, EERRRR, AHHEM, yeah! didn't they all die off during the last big winter;-)
I hear the wolves really like the Elk meat. And what ever Elk did survive the winter and wolf attacks are all contaminated from drinking the water that all those HUGE moose pee and poo in, hence they're not safe to eat and it causes there antlers go shrivel up like sundried tomatos.:mrgreen:

BCrams
01-14-2006, 09:16 AM
Dude - just get a copy of the BC record books and you will see that the Kootenays is the place to be for everything. They have tonnes of open hunts down there.

bushape
01-14-2006, 10:26 AM
You're odds increase the further north you go.

Brambles
01-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Dude - just get a copy of the BC record books and you will see that the Kootenays is the place to be for everything. They have tonnes of open hunts down there.

The hunts are open because the bush is not. You're gonna be in for a real shock going from a praire province to the kootenay region of B.C.. The East Kootenays arn't too bad in some spots but the West kootenays can get a tad thick:shock:

Elk hunting this year the only way you would see an elk was to be within 40 yards and most times you had to be closer, say about 25 yards to see them. Most people would say that is bow range, yeah right!! Just because you can see them at 25 yards doesn't mean you can shoot them. Underbrush is a Bitch.
Animals die of old age in the Kootenays:wink:
Most people road hunt in the kootenays, I guess its like that most places but the reason here is because its the only place you'll get a clear and open shot at an animal.

elkmaster
01-14-2006, 04:32 PM
The larger percentage of road hunters that hunt in the east kootenay's are not locals, the residents that are successful like in any region learn the good spots and hunt hard away from the roads!
It's not only where we hunt, it's how we hunt!

PGKris
01-16-2006, 12:28 PM
UUMMM, EERRRR, AHHEM, yeah! didn't they all die off during the last big winter;-)
I hear the wolves really like the Elk meat. And what ever Elk did survive the winter and wolf attacks are all contaminated from drinking the water that all those HUGE moose pee and poo in, hence they're not safe to eat and it causes there antlers go shrivel up like sundried tomatos.:mrgreen:

Exactly. No elk here. They all died. Right. That's the one.

moose hunter
01-16-2006, 07:44 PM
wat u talkin bout they all died? oh haha ya got sick and died them elk all the bigones

CanuckShooter
01-19-2006, 07:30 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/501/thumbs/elk4.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1974&cat=501&limit=recent)

goin goin gone......

PGKris
01-19-2006, 02:02 PM
Must have come from region 4. No elk like that here. Harsh winters and all....

Ltbullken
01-20-2006, 02:13 AM
Most people road hunt in the kootenays, I guess its like that most places but the reason here is because its the only place you'll get a clear and open shot at an animal.

I thought it was because they were weak .... :razz:

Brambles
01-22-2006, 10:52 AM
I thought it was because they were weak .... :razz:

Yeah, everyone in the Kootenays are WEAK, its contagious too so don't come hunting here.
We caught the weak disease from eating all the weak elk, moose, and deer with small antlers.:p

I hear the real strong guys come from Ontario, but even those guys shoot deer that cross the road in front of them. ;)
I shot a mulie in Kamloops this year, so hopefully it will make me stronger when I eat it. All my other animals came from the kootenays so I guess I'm screwed.:cry:

Brambles