PDA

View Full Version : Bison Hide/ Tanning

10-21-2009, 11:57 PM
Hello,
I live in Langley and was wondering if any one cab recommend a tanner for getting a Bison Hide tanned, hair on, so not buck skin.

I have already been quoted 18 to 22 bucks a square foot, so for the bull I hope to get in Dec. it may work out to 800 to 900 bucks .... owch !!

Any one know of any body that does nice work for a more reasonable price??

To have the head mounted into a shoulder mount will cost too much and take up space I need for bigger better Rams, Billies and Bucks down the road, so I will likely just be having it bleached. Should look cool with the white skull and black horns. So if you know of some one that does that or you can tell me how to I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.....

Sure hope I'm lucky, if not I don't need to worry about it.

CT

bighornbob
10-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Talk to Caveman here on the site, thats what he did with his.

What are you going to do with it once its tanned. I think caveman said his was the size of a comforter off a bed. How are you going to display it??

BHB

10-22-2009, 12:11 AM
Like a Comforter or throw over a couch in my Hemmingway Lodge (trophy room).

I have heard they make a soft beautiful rug or comforter. Unlike Deer moose or elk that are quite stiff.

Last resort will be more buckskin, with a lung shot hole through it .... likely only one side though ...... tough tough hide from what I hear ... 1/2 inch thick.

tanx

CT

bridger
10-22-2009, 05:38 AM
we had my wifes bison skull bleached and it looks pretty cool. we also had the front half of the hide tanned (that is where all the long hair is) and use it as a comfortor in the rec room. it is very warm, but heavy. I sent wanda's bull to peace taxidermy in fort st john. bison hides are pricey to tan for sure, but i think most taxidermists in the province use the same tannery in vernon so i doubt if the cost varies much. it took about 10 months to get the hide back from the tannery. our taxidermist explained that the tannery waits until they get several bison hides in and do them in a batch, thus the delay. that was five years ago things may have changed. good luck

Ajsawden
10-22-2009, 05:54 PM
i'm giving tanning a go this year myself. Ive done some raccoons with good success. I'm working on a moose now and hopefully it will work out just as well. Shoot a Bison in two years and I should be pretty good by that time!

srupp
10-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Try Jason Yochman in 140 mile house..just south of Williams lake..he owns and runs a tannery...Chilcotin Tannery??..I know he does buffalo hides I have seen them there..
cheers
Steven

Brett
10-22-2009, 07:05 PM
he charges 20/sqft, prices are on the website

brad ferris
10-23-2009, 04:15 PM
i did mine myself a few years back.if i get to kill another one i'll get someone else to do it. it truely is a huge job.i salted and dried mine then used a grinder with a 36 grit abrasive disc to thin the hide before starting the tanning process.it turned out pretty good but not as soft as some commercial jobs i've seen.the skull i cleaned up with time ,bugs and a pressure washer,followed by peroxide from a hair dresser friend.