PDA

View Full Version : My hunting so far....good and not so good

sparky300winmag
10-21-2009, 10:00 PM
I went for a morning hunt a few couple of weeks ago and found this 4x5 whitey with 4 other smaller bucks.It was on the first snow day.I took my oldest son out the next day and we saw 11 bucks but he missed a good buck.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee157/sparky300winmag/DSC00345.jpg

My youngest son and i went elk hunting on saturday and he spotted this 4x4 whitey in the timber.It was his first white tail.Boy was he happy.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee157/sparky300winmag/DSC00347.jpg

We went out for the last day of elk season and we went to an area where we counted at least 40 mulies and about 10 were small bucks.Mitch spotted this nice 4x3 mulie and took him down.If he didn't i sure would have.More high fives.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee157/sparky300winmag/DSC00348.jpg

The elk hunting didn't go so well.Once again i was skunked and not due to the lack of trying( i put in about 150 hrs of elk hunting),but mostly due to my inability to count the f*****g tines fast enough.
My oldest and i went out one morning and i spotted a bull on the edge of the slash( at least saw his antlers above the brush).We went in after him cow calling and looking for him.Well ,i look up the far side of the slash and there he was.I put up my swaros and try counting the tines.I see he forks at the top , but i just couldn't see his fronts good enough cause he keeps turning his head and walking away.I bugle and he stops and i try again but just can't see good enough and he's getting farther away.I know everone says if he forks at the back there is a 95% chance he's a six, but i just gotta make 100% sure.Well hes outa range now , so i tell my son we'll find the road up to the other side of the slash.Well i go to where i thought it should be but i just see a truck parked on , what looks like, an old road, so i think there is no way someone would block the only road into a huge slash, so i keep looking for the road.Well after an hour i still can't find the road i was looking for, so eventually i went back to where the truck was parked.The truck was gone, so i followed the road and sure enough it went to the slash, and guess what, there was the truck parked at the end and guess again what they were pulling out with thier quad.Thats right a nice six point bull elk.
So thats how my elk hunting went and i saw at least a dozen bulls , but only that one six point.
Well maybe next year, and maybe i should get glasses.

Brambles
10-21-2009, 10:02 PM
It seems all the stars and planets have to be in alignment in order to take an elk some years. Good job on the deer and getting the kids hands dirty.

killman
10-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Congrats to you and the kid! Some nice deer there.

JoshCampbell
10-21-2009, 10:53 PM
great looking bucks, better luck on the elk next year

hunter1947
10-22-2009, 05:04 AM
Nothing wrong with your season them deer you got are nice deer ,nice to see that the Young feller got his first deer and a nice one at that ,congrats to you and your sons on a fine year so far.

5 spike
10-22-2009, 06:06 AM
those are some very nice bucks, great to see the younger ones having a good season. congrats to you guys.

Aaron Blom
10-22-2009, 07:45 PM
Don't feel bad I heard it was a rough elk season for lots of people. Not me though.

Rattler
10-22-2009, 08:08 PM
The elk hunting didn't go so well.Once again i was skunked and not due to the lack of trying( i put in about 150 hrs of elk hunting),but mostly due to my inability to count the f*****g tines fast enough.
My oldest and i went out one morning and i spotted a bull on the edge of the slash( at least saw his antlers above the brush).We went in after him cow calling and looking for him.Well ,i look up the far side of the slash and there he was.I put up my swaros and try counting the tines.I see he forks at the top , but i just couldn't see his fronts good enough cause he keeps turning his head and walking away.I bugle and he stops and i try again but just can't see good enough and he's getting farther away.I know everone says if he forks at the back there is a 95% chance he's a six, but i just gotta make 100% sure.Well hes outa range now , so i tell my son we'll find the road up to the other side of the slash.Well i go to where i thought it should be but i just see a truck parked on , what looks like, an old road, so i think there is no way someone would block the only road into a huge slash, so i keep looking for the road.Well after an hour i still can't find the road i was looking for, so eventually i went back to where the truck was parked.The truck was gone, so i followed the road and sure enough it went to the slash, and guess what, there was the truck parked at the end and guess again what they were pulling out with thier quad.Thats right a nice six point bull elk.
So thats how my elk hunting went and i saw at least a dozen bulls , but only that one six point.
Well maybe next year, and maybe i should get glasses.

Congrats on the whitetails. Good on you for not pulling the trigger because you weren't 100% confident it was a 6 point bull. I have seen many bulls missing their G2 or 3:eek:.

BigfishCanada
10-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Its AWESOME to see them boys shootin dear!!!! Big Smiles and Racks, gotta love it!

blackbart
10-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Good job on holding back the trigger finger Sparky300winmag.

The first deer photo is certainly a classic!

Getting the young fella onto some animals is much more of an accomplishment than getting an elk yourself.

cainer
10-22-2009, 11:51 PM
other than the lack of elk, i'd say you're having a fine season.

d6dan
10-23-2009, 10:11 AM
You and your boys had a great season by the look of those pics. as far as elk hunting,well things might be in your favour next year.