PDA

View Full Version : Kamloops/Merrit Quality game cutting

GLADES
10-21-2009, 09:40 AM
Does anybody have a good game cutter they can recommend in these areas? I did a search on this forum. The only hits came from 2007.

Thanks
Bill

4 point
10-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Karl's crew at Cutrite (250-554-8202)in Kamloops does a nice job .65 per pound this year cut, wrapped & frozen.

3kills
10-21-2009, 12:20 PM
chris voight in merritt is pretty much the only guy in town that does it..60 bucks flat rate for a deer..2503781875 i believe is his number...if i have time and a place i can do it too but for the most part i dont have the place to do it..

3kills
10-21-2009, 12:20 PM
kamloops TRU does a pretty good job and they use to be like 35 or 45 cents a pound..

Kye
10-21-2009, 12:42 PM
kamloops TRU does a pretty good job and they use to be like 35 or 45 cents a pound..

I'm pretty sure they no longer accept game.

3kills
10-21-2009, 12:55 PM
oh really...i didnt know that..its been a lil while since i have been there..

roblikestohunt
10-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Karl in kamloops on Tranquile road has done mine in the past gret service and reasonably priced...

finish
10-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Karl at Interior cut rite....out by the airport

GLADES
10-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Great! Another thing I just heard of is letting the meat hang for a while in the cooler before the cut....do you do this?

Thanks

huntwriter
10-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Great! Another thing I just heard of is letting the meat hang for a while in the cooler before the cut....do you do this?

Thanks

We had a thread here somewhere, dedicated to aging game. The opinions differ and are largely subject to taste preference. If you want to age game meat to improve quality then it is really not needed as it has little to no effect, unlike on beef. If you like a stronger "game taste" then go for it.

huntwriter
10-21-2009, 05:34 PM
...if i have time and a place i can do it too but for the most part i dont have the place to do it..

Have you looked at the new regulations and requirements recently pertaining to commercial game cutting? I had in mind to do that when we moved to Merritt. My bank manager and I got almost a heart attack when we went through the cost of implementing the new regulations and requirements. Needless to say I gave the idea up on opening a seasonal game cutting business. It never would pay for the investment. This is the reason why over 400 game meat cutters across the province closed down.

There are still a few clandestine cutters but I would not like to be in their shoes when they get caught. The legal game cutters that still operate have a regular licensed butcher shop. But that will soon end too when the new regulation kicks in, requiring them to have complete separate rooms, coolers, machinery and tools on the premises to cut game.

The newest stupidity talked about in the halls of power is that all game meat should be inspected before it is handed back to the hunters after cutting. As a butcher yourself you know what that would cost the game cutter and the hunters.:smile:

Each year it is made more difficult to make an honest living in the food, particularly meat, industry.

3kills
10-21-2009, 06:04 PM
i keep thinkin bout wantin to open my own shop up but after readin that i dont think i wanna now LOL..and gettin game inspected would be a stupid and costly thing to do..

Remmy
10-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Farmgate Meats near Barrier just off Agate bay road, since Clint closed in Knutsford I have been dealing with them and this years fall bear suasage is the best I have ever had, and the double smoked pepperoni is amazing. Steve also has a new package where he will cut your game and you pick up and wrap or vacuum seal your self at a very resonable rate. Bear garlic coils is now a new favorite!!

Jelvis
10-21-2009, 09:00 PM
Farmgate soundz good how many km's from Kamloops city if you don't mind me asking ? For Farmgate Meats ?
Jelly meatitus -- kilometers to Farmgate Meats from Kamloops ? To Steve's.

Remmy
10-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Dixon Road off Agate bay road, about 40 minutes from the loop's. Steve brunner is a butcher at Safeway. I recommend.

3kills
10-21-2009, 11:27 PM
i might have to give farmgate a try with a bear if i pop one...i really like clint at sportsman till he closed

MuleyMadness
10-22-2009, 05:37 PM
I will have to try Farmgate as well, as I wasn't thrilled with the sausage I got from cut rite...just not tons of flavor in the roni and jerky....But here's a much better question..WHY is there no where a guy can go learn to cut his own? I'm not talking about sausage making and that sort of thing, I just mean cutting the meat to roasts, chops, ground, etc...Plenty of info on youtube and such, but it would be great if there was a class so someone could teach us. It's something I would certainly be willing to pay for, any butchers and other hunters out there interested in that?

3kills
10-22-2009, 06:12 PM
u could take the 9 month course but it just isnt worth it unless u are plannin on becomin a full time butcher really..maybe othmar needs to start doin a do it urself butcher course LOL i would be up for help teach that..