PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to call in a cow moose?

Bill Dance
10-21-2009, 07:36 AM
I now where there is a cow moose with twin calves and they live in thick stuff so I was wondering if it's possible to call her out? What call to use?

mxracer328
10-21-2009, 08:08 AM
where we were hunting 2 indian fellows had a cow run right to them using distant bull calls

tomahawk
10-21-2009, 09:09 AM
I called a cow to me in 1991 using a cow call. She ran like a race horse right to me from several hundred yards away, breaking branches and knocking over stumps and dead timber. However she was only running to me as a last ditch effort to avoid being eaten by a pack of wolves of which I arrowed the dominant male! They had killed her calf and were after her so she heard my call and came to try and get help fending off the wolves I guess?

muleychaser
10-21-2009, 09:22 AM
I was out with a friend one day and lost a case of beer on a bet over this topic. He brought her from 150 yards to 40 ft and we were in plain sight the whole time leaning against the truck. Didn't think it was possible but had a front row seat for it.

boxhitch
10-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Calf-in-distress will get their attention.

Or someone on the opposite side wolf howling.

takla1
10-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Ive used a look-out ,top of hillside for spotting moose down on the river bottom at one of my hunting locations up north.Once ive got a moose spoted i jump on the atv and head down pronto and hike in to see just what kind of moose it is as its too far to identifie from the hill top.Many times it will be a cow,not always bulls,but ive found a drawn out cow call will attrack BOTH ,BULLS AND cows!last time up there the first moose i came across like this was a cow with twin calfs,she came right to my cow call and lingered there for over ten minites before she turned and winded me and left

Silverado
10-21-2009, 10:59 AM
I've called in WT does with a fawn bleat, so I don't see why the maternal instinct wouldn't work with a cow moose?

xcaribooer
10-21-2009, 01:10 PM
I was calling back and forth with two moose on my recent 7-6 hunt. I could hear two distinct calls coming back, bull grunts and cow moans. They would definatly respond when I used a cow call. After about ten minutes I could hear them getting closer and out into the open walked a small bull and a cow.I shot the cow filling my LEH tag.
I will say I definatly called these moose out but would I have been able to call out just a cow? I have my doubts. These two were looking for more moose to join their little party.I had an almost identical experience two years ago in the same spot.That time it was two cows and a bull.

Bill Dance
10-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks guys for the responses. I don't know if many of you guys watched that you tube video of the griz carrying off a young calf moose and the distress sound that it was making. I'm thinking if I imitate that sound I might get a response.

d_k
10-21-2009, 07:30 PM
I now where there is a cow moose with twin calves and they live in thick stuff so I was wondering if it's possible to call her out? What call to use?
Why hould you hunt a cow you know is with calves?
hope she is dry

Statler
10-21-2009, 07:33 PM
A cow will definitely respond to a cow call. I saw one cutting through a cut line and me and my buddy decided to give a cow call to see what she would do. As soon as she heard the call she stopped in her tracks and turned in our direction. We gave another call and she was definitely interested and staring walking towards us. At about 40 yds she stopped and stared straight at us and was turning her head and rotating her ears a bit to try and identify us. My buddy thought that it was pretty neat that she would come so close. I told him that we could get her a lot closer if we wanted. He wouldn't believe me so I put my arms up over my head and moved my upper body back and forth. It scared the bejebus out of him when it started to run towards us. Almost as scared as the moose was when I dropped my arms and yelled moooose when she got too close. Did a quick 90 turn and into the bush she went. He asked me to never do that again. The things you learn from hunting the barrens of NFLD.

Bill Dance
10-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Why hould you hunt a cow you know is with calves?
hope she is dry
Oops, I should have said in my first post that I don't have a cow leh and calf season is open here until Sunday. I figured if I could call out the cow that the calves would come with her.

eastkoot
10-21-2009, 08:59 PM
No, can't be and never has been done.. What you have to do is call in the bull and hope the cow follows..;)

Bill Dance
10-21-2009, 09:03 PM
No, can't be and never has been done.. What you have to do is call in the bull and hope the cow follows..;)
So basically what your saying is don't bother with the calling and go in and flush them out. She probably won't let the bull get near her.

hunter1947
10-22-2009, 05:23 AM
Yes it is possible to call in a cow moose I have called in a number of cows when calling for them.
I do the calling myself with my two hand clasped together let her go waoooo ,waoooo and more ,good luck.