PDA

View Full Version : Wolf hunting tips please

Brew
10-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Going up to 3-31 to find my uncle a moose. He was the one who got me into hunting and I actually only got to start hunting with him 3 years ago due to his health problems. I really hope I can find him a moose. But I'm there to try to bag a wolf. A month ago I had them running around my tent and I know there are lots around. Any tips to calling them in would be great. Last time we would howl and they would howl back which is good but any tips from you guys would be great thanks. if I do get one do I skin it the exact same way as a bear. I would like to do a rug.

BlacktailStalker
10-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Shoot moose. Quarter moose, leave carcass in bush.
Coincidently walk by carcass at first/last light using the wind to your advantage. Sit down and wait to take pictures of ravens. If a wolf shows up, you just got lucky because you were there to take pics. Who woulda thought !?

MIL720
10-20-2009, 04:51 PM
Coincidently walk by carcass at first/last light using the wind to your advantage. Sit down and wait to take pictures of ravens. If a wolf shows up, you just got lucky because you were there to take pics. Who woulda thought !?http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif
yep....thats all ya gotta do

Brew
10-20-2009, 04:51 PM
I love bird watching for ravens.

Brew
10-20-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm trying to find the regulations on baiting right now. Anyone know where to look in the regs?

PGK
10-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Coincidently walk by carcass at first/last light using the wind to your advantage. Sit down and wait to take pictures of ravens. If a wolf shows up, you just got lucky because you were there to take pics. Who woulda thought !?

It's legal to bait wolves and coyotes.....I know where there's the carcasses of two moose in one block a few mins from town...guess where I'll be at sunup?

Sir Jake
10-20-2009, 07:49 PM
So what happens if you're waiting for Mr. Wolf to come to the bait but Yogi shows up? :P

PGK
10-20-2009, 08:20 PM
So what happens if you're waiting for Mr. Wolf to come to the bait but Yogi shows up? :P

It is illegal to bait black bears. Pretty cut and dried...

bridger
10-20-2009, 09:54 PM
are the wolf hunting rules in the rest of the province? don't seem to be any in 7b. lol

mikeinajeep
10-20-2009, 10:46 PM
I don't want to start anything and respect other hunters alot but.. Why hunt wolves? Do you eat the meat? I learned to hunt from my dad and we never hunted preds, we killed afew over the years if they were in the barns or chasing calves. Please don't get upset it is just I don't understand.

huntwriter
10-21-2009, 12:09 AM
I don't want to start anything and respect other hunters alot but.. Why hunt wolves? Do you eat the meat? I learned to hunt from my dad and we never hunted preds, we killed afew over the years if they were in the barns or chasing calves. Please don't get upset it is just I don't understand.

Hunting is not only about meat, it's also about wildlife population control. Predators would quickly over populate if not managed by hunters.

bridger
10-21-2009, 04:16 AM
watched a show on tv last night about the wolves in yellowstone some fantastic footgae of a pack of about 12 pulling down a big 6 point elk and a large bull bison. the elk population in yellowstone and surrounding area is less than half of what before the wolves were introduced. same thing is happening in some areas of bc . unchecked predation is a recipe for disaster.

hunter1947
10-21-2009, 06:38 AM
I agree with Blacktailstalker on his post ,it will work if you can hold up and wait for a long period of time.

chilcotin hillbilly
10-21-2009, 08:04 AM
Sitting on a bait works if you have time, but you better be there when they hit the bait as they will clean up a gut pile in a matter of minutes. A fawn in distress call works well if they are in close proximitey, it is best to have a caller and a shooter and split up as the wolves will circle down wind before coming in most of the time. Same with howling.

Mikeinajeep, you sound like you have a ranching background, so why do you not understand killing wolves, you must not have a lot of wolves in your area as wolves kill dozens of cows and calves here every year. The only good wolf is a dead wolf.

Gateholio
10-21-2009, 08:26 AM
A better question is : If there is a sustainable population, why NOT hunt them?

rishu_pepper
10-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Nope. But Rishu might.

I hunt (and trap) them because it's kinda fun, it takes some pressure off the deer & moose, and the hide is worth a little bit of $$$.

Pass the meat this way ;)

But yeah, I'd shoot a wolf any day; they would look cool with a head mount methinks. Pressure off the ungulates also help.

boxhitch
10-21-2009, 09:52 AM
are the wolf hunting rules in the rest of the province? don't seem to be any in 7b. lolThere are no rules for hunting them in reg. 8 :wink:

6 K
10-21-2009, 10:51 AM
My only advice is this.
Shoot till you are out of rounds or out of targets.
Good luck, I have never found one intentionally.

EVERYONE OR NO ONE!

ElkMasterC
10-21-2009, 11:01 AM
I have rancher buddies in the Cariboo, and despite the fact that I own a wolf hybrid, I think if I didn't nail any wolf I saw I wouldn't be welcome back.
Having said that, I've never gotten a shot at one. They survived all these years cuz they ain't stupid.

Drillbit
11-08-2009, 01:07 AM
Good ol Wolf hunting. Without bait, you're wasting your time, they aren't dumb. I've never intentionally seen a wolf, but I've shot 3 out of the 4 I've seen, needed a bigger magazine. I've tried calling alot with no luck, I've heard them howling back really close, but they never come out. Other guys I know have had accidental luck cow moose calling. The only guy I know that shoots around 10 a year has bait set up around 300 yards from his house out in the bush (McBride) and sets his clock early in the morning.

As far as why hunt wolves, why not. They are open almost all year long and in highly populated areas there is no bag limit. What else, besides coyotes, is there to hunt from deer/moose/elk season until gopher season? In the Caribou Region, there are so many wolves around, there is hardly any game in many areas. I guess the question is, "why isn't everyone hunting them?"

chilcotin hillbilly
11-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Good ol Wolf hunting. Without bait, you're wasting your time, they aren't dumb. I've never intentionally seen a wolf, but I've shot 3 out of the 4 I've seen, needed a bigger magazine. I've tried calling alot with no luck, I've heard them howling back really close, but they never come out. Other guys I know have had accidental luck cow moose calling. The only guy I know that shoots around 10 a year has bait set up around 300 yards from his house out in the bush (McBride) and sets his clock early in the morning.

As far as why hunt wolves, why not. They are open almost all year long and in highly populated areas there is no bag limit. What else, besides coyotes, is there to hunt from deer/moose/elk season until gopher season? In the Caribou Region, there are so many wolves around, there is hardly any game in many areas. I guess the question is, "why isn't everyone hunting them?"
This is the best question yet.

ROEBUCK
11-08-2009, 08:38 AM
i would like very much to bag a wolf!
but would say there as difficalt as cougers to shoot!
and if you consentrated only on calling wolves you could be in for a very long predator season,im gona just call as i normally do and if a wolf comes in great,but definately worth a go if you find very fresh tracks.I have an endless bait pile on a ranch this season,and have wolves feeding already ,another week or 2, and 75 snares are going to be set as i just did the trapping course in the spring,the wolves seem to be in my area all the time and not in a 10-14 day cycle is this common?

luckynuts
11-09-2009, 09:19 AM
wolves! seems I can't drive around a corner or walk into a lease without seeing one this shift. So far this week a group of 7 one grey/white with 6 blacks. One big black by itself and another grey/white with some tan in it also by itself. Remembrance day will be heading out to try and thin them out.

I've always had luck calling them in with a howl as long as they started up first. The thing is, you need to be in the same area as them which unless your out every day is pretty hard to do. They do have meeting places where they paw the ground and shit /piss all over the place again depends on if they are hunting in that area. As others have mentioned can get them with a moose call now and again but it's all luck unless your proguide66 or someone like that who traps them for a living.

good luck

L