PDA

View Full Version : Last minute Bison Hunt

TriggerMag
10-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Just received a call from the ministry and apparently someone returned their bison draw as they can't go, so my name was next on the list 7-57A
starting nov 15.
I'm really going to have to scramble to put this all together any info on locations, weather at that time of year, do I need a quad or a snowmobile, and what to expect would be much appreciated.

Thanx in advance
TM

bridger
10-20-2009, 10:59 AM
wow what a nice surprise. quad or sled depends on the weather. prepare to have both at your disposal and check the weather on an almost daily basis as snow conditions change up here daily this time of year. weather will be cold so prepare for with warm clothes etc. if you are using a wall tent make sure you have a good stove temp can drop easily to -30

tomahawk
10-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Like Bridger said bring both quad and snow machines if possible. We are in "B" starting Nov 20th and are bringing 2 of each. This will be my 4th Bison hunt in 12 yrs and the weather can be variable and unpredictable. We have not had a bunch of snow on the 3 other trips but usually it will snow at some point during a 2 week hunt and the sleds can be used anywhere , where as the quads are limited as to where they can be used. We use a wall tent with extra tarps on top for insulation and a big wood stove and can sit in the tent at -20 in shirts, however when it hits - 30 its cold. Good luck, PM me if I can help in any way.

trigger
10-20-2009, 07:50 PM
sometjing with the trigger in the name. i got the same draw same time. might see ya up there

David Heitsman
10-20-2009, 08:51 PM
That's great that someone returned the tag instead of just not going.

sneg
10-20-2009, 09:02 PM
nice surprise. good luck to you. I was not drawn this year.

RiverBoatFantasy
10-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Next year if I win a bison tag I will return it.

Deadshot
10-20-2009, 09:10 PM
The system working the way it's suppose to. Imagine that!
They should make the draw winner buy a tag. Then have it refundable/transferable to the next in line if a last minute "I can't go" comes up.
Maybe they should do that with all the high odds hunts.

bridger
10-20-2009, 09:10 PM
glad to see the returned tag policy working. I suggested that this policy be put into place at a provincial allocation meeting a few years ago. bison tags are a tough draw and i felt it was a shame to have a tag go to waste if for some reason the original tag holder was unable to go. good luck

silvercreek20
10-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Congrats on the tag. I was up last year and you will do fine. There was a thread a week or two ago going around that the band is now charging 175.00 per PERSON not TAG like it was last year. Just something for you to consider before getting to far away from a bank machine. Would be interested to know how you make out with that situation. Can you PM me when you get back?
You can also go around the ranch if you don't want to pay the money.

Good luck.......

Mik
10-21-2009, 03:22 PM
I love the system, when it works, Kudos to the individual that returned it and not wasted the tag!

GoatGuy
10-21-2009, 04:27 PM
glad to see the returned tag policy working. I suggested that this policy be put into place at a provincial allocation meeting a few years ago. bison tags are a tough draw and i felt it was a shame to have a tag go to waste if for some reason the original tag holder was unable to go. good luck

Either that or release enough LEH for resident to harvest their allocation regardless of the return tag. hehehehe

srupp
10-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Cant imagine turning down a chance to hunt bison..but good on them for returning the tag...

good luck and straight shooting..

Cheers
Steven

TriggerMag
10-24-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks guys for the coments and the pm's really appreciate it.

TM

TriggerMag
10-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Another question I have is,

Whats going to be the easiest way of getting the bison out of the bush and to your truck after it's quartered?

How quick do you need to get the hide off?

It says in the package I received to de-bone the animal asap, is this necessary?

Is there a cooler to hang the meat at pink mountain?

Any other advice!!!!!!

TM

unstableryan
10-24-2009, 11:57 PM
I've been to pink mountain. It is a cooler in november :)

tomahawk
10-25-2009, 12:29 AM
Get the hide off ASAP, I don't debone it but I do take the hide off as soon as its gutted. I know of 3 guys who lost the meat (it stayed hot and went skunky) when it was below "0" as the hide and hair is so thick.

bridger
10-25-2009, 10:35 PM
i agree skin it immediately the hide is so thick that the meat will spoil even in freezing temperatures. haul it out on quad or sled. cooler at pink mtn campsite

Caveman
10-25-2009, 10:44 PM
I didn't get mine completly skinned out the first evening, but it was later in the afternoon and -13c. Propped him up on his back, gutted him and skinned out the quarters. All was fine the next day when we brought him out quartered.

PeaceHunter
11-09-2009, 11:46 AM
yup, get the hide off and make sure you open up the neck and hump, those two areas hold a lot of heat. I was lucky enough to go along on a hunt in 2003 and won a draw in 2007. Nov 15th as well, both times there wasn't enough snow for a snowmobile and the rivers weren't quite frozen. If you have to make a choice, I would say take a quad. If you can take one of each, even better.

I have also heard a few guys getting calls this year on returned tags. my brother in law just got a call on friday for a mid december hunt. I am really glad to see people who aren't able to go are surrendering their draw.

TriggerMag
11-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Well, I would firstly like to thank every one for all the info, tips etc.
We definately went prepared ( probably over prepared ). I would of liked to stay a few days longer however we were on a tight schedule and would have had only 4 days to hunt regardless.

Thanks to jamie at the Pink Mountain Motor Inn for the Hospitality Great Food and the extra little info we needed to complete our hunt.

the second day in we connected on a approx. 3-4 yr old cow Bison, taking her in the morning and not getting back to the truck until after dark.
These animals are nothing but work after the shot is taken; however, I'm sure the table fare will make it worth while.

A snow machine with a good LARGE toboggan is in my opinion the best set up for the snow conditions that we had and is a must to get your animal out.

pics to come.
TM

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
11-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Congrats To Ya Again!! I Like It When It All Works Out!!!

Nice To Meet Ya Triggermag

11-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Right on Triggermag !

Congrats to you and all involved.

There are so many stand-up people with helpful tips on here ....

Good on all you guys for helping every one out in one way shape or form.

We leave next Friday ..... I'm a total rookie to this Bison thing. Benn putting in for 16 years now ...since it started ... finally drew one stoked !!

Can't wait !

Any help is appreciated !

Lets see some pic's TriggerMag !!

CT

cariboobill
11-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks to all for the info. Like others, I dream of getting a tag one day and hunting Bison. Good luck to anyone who is heading out,

CB

TriggerMag
11-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Hey Jamie, Thank your wife for us for the great cooking, It was definately nice meeting you , and will stay with you again next time we get a draw.

Cheers
TM

trigger
11-26-2009, 12:22 PM
congrats triggermag. glad to see that it all worked out for you. I didnt run into you did i ?
cant wait to see pics. where abouts did you hunt. Cypress creek?

TriggerMag
11-26-2009, 01:28 PM
No, I don't believe We bumped into you.

PM Sent

TM

nano
11-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Congrats!!

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
11-26-2009, 05:45 PM
trigger was gone 2 days before triggermag got here.

cwocarsten
11-26-2009, 09:35 PM
If you camp B4 the ranch, to go around used to take about 50min by quad (no snow)B4 the slide happened. I'd just pay Vern the fee and make it simple.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
11-26-2009, 09:43 PM
No There Is No Need To Pay 175$ Per Person!! If You Get A Bison Pay The Fee For One Person And Let Him Take It Out!!!

Save Some Money!!!!

trigger
11-27-2009, 02:17 AM
Easier said than done. if you get a buff way back and you have a couple sleds its still going to take a good portion of the day to get it skinned and quartered. if you do a good job. by then you just want to get it out

No There Is No Need To Pay 175$ Per Person!! If You Get A Bison Pay The Fee For One Person And Let Him Take It Out!!!

Save Some Money!!!!

hunter1947
11-27-2009, 07:01 AM
Wat to go getting your cow bison its hard work like you said to get all meat out of the bush but when all said and done its well worth it all ,congrats on filling your freezer http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
11-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Well i helped i guy after you left trigger and he got his about 46k back about noon skinned it and quarterd then just went back the next morning and payed 175$ once just for himself saved 175$

partner
11-27-2009, 10:52 AM
So you are saying drive around until you shoot something then pay to bring it out? Is the trail that bad around? What is this about a slide?

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
11-27-2009, 03:08 PM
THATS RIGHT! and onley pay for one person to go through. i did not think the trail was that bad at all, and triggermag pulled his bison out on that trail so it can be done...so you will save..$$$

TriggerMag
11-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Like Jamie said the trail is not bad at all. The trail is 7.5 miles from where you unload to the road on the other side of the native land. Going through the native land is still probably around 2 miles. I did not notice any slide anywhere on the trail, and we had no problem pulling the bison out in one load with the sled.
In my opinion if you are going to pay the $175 to go through the land, you may as well pay it on the first day so you can go through every day of your hunt and get your moneys worth, but honestly it's not a big deal to take the trail, just leave 1/2 Hr earlier. Save Your Money.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
11-27-2009, 06:03 PM
ya i was just thinking most groups 2-4 people .. 4 guys @ 175= 700$$$ so i would go around the ranch til the "group" got the bison then pay 175 and have one guy come through the easy way with the bison saving 525$ = BEER or BUTCHERING or FUEL..

trigger
12-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Still waiting on storey and pics triggermag.

12-02-2009, 11:51 AM
I second what Trigger said TriggerMAG !

I leave this Friday,

CT

tomahawk
12-02-2009, 11:56 AM
I agree, lets see the results and here what happened !! I love stories!

BiG Boar
06-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Still waiting for the pics triggerMag. Been sitting here at the computer for nearly 7 months!

moosesmoozer
06-25-2010, 05:07 PM
I just drew the Dec1 - 15th Bison in 757a ... odds last year were 74-1 this year 24-1. Wonder why ? methinks theres a couple new early draws for those that get twitchy with cold .
It'll be my first Bison hunt, and my first trip in the pink mountain area.
I AM STOKED !

moosesmoozer
06-25-2010, 06:24 PM
p.s.
any info on gettin in passed Blueberry ranch/natives would be appreciated, or who /how to pay......:)

aggiehunter
06-26-2010, 01:09 PM
turn right just before the ranch and do the whoopdy doos....then your on the way and $175 richer...