PDA

View Full Version : Antlers and Hoofs = elk x 3,moose x 3, bear x 2

sneg
10-19-2009, 08:56 PM
This Great North Hunt trip was planned well advance.
Number of friends and family wishing to join, however due to logistic and space consideration group was limited to seven persons.
Plan was to go far North BC for one week of moose hunting, than try some places for elk and caribou on our way back.

Day 1. It took us about 26 hours drive to moose place. This area was advised me by several people including few from this hunting forum. We got safely to place and set the camp. Our group had nice camper for sleeping quarters, cargo trailer for gear, two trucks, ATV, bike and rubber boat for getting around. Prior to trip we have had discussion tent vs camping trailer. On end all really appreciated chance for comfortable sleep in clean bed after long hard day.

Day 2. Black bear
Before morning coffee Gregory got his nice black bear. Not bad for start. Gregory is real quick shooter. Together with Grisha they were on side FSR looking for moose. Big bear crossed road in front of them about 150 m away. But not that fast , bear was quick but .338 was much qicker. Clean up and continue scouting. There some cons and pros of having large group. Definite advantage is faster, more consistent scouting of new area. Some guys explored near by lakes ,others checked marshes and spurs. During lunch we have discussed our findings; some fresh moose tracks, lot of old tracks and droppings. Definitely there was moose , but not too many in last couple of months. All to the field again ,not much of sightings..

To be continued

Pic 1 Antlers and Hoofs Club,day 1

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt41/sneg13/CIMG2956.jpg
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt41/sneg13/2009_hunt_north45.jpg
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt41/sneg13/2009_hunt_north37.jpg

Grogory's bear
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt41/sneg13/2009_hunt_north402.jpg

sneg
10-19-2009, 09:09 PM
somehow double posted.

Day 3.Road
After morning hunt we have packed up and moved to second location. We stopped at Liard Hot Springs .Nice. This whole area is packed with bizons. Everybody made lot of cool pictures. New location is couple hundreds clicks on way back .Set camps at head of one of famous trails on side of creek. Location was quite convenient : next to prime hunting grounds and short drive to other hunting places. Quick set up and into the bushes. What a difference . Lot of fresh tracks, have seen cow moose and calves. That long marsh sure hold some game. Close by locations all have seen lot of caribou and ,but none legal . In other location have seen big herd of elk cow grazing on hills. This time 3 pt elk only, still few days before antlerless season. During evening drink around fire decided to keep an eye where we have seen moose cows and elk herd, while exploring other places around.
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt41/sneg13/2009_hunt_north181.jpg

Chuck
10-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Теперь это - охотничья экспедиция! Now that's a hunting expedition!

sneg
10-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Day 4.- 4 pt elk
Myself and Ko3ak spend all morning on side of very promising lake, glassing our eyes out. Lot of tracks .Seen moose cow ,but no bulls.
IZH94 (Andrew) hiked creek, seen few caribou and cow elk.
Gregory and Grisha explored swamps along the creek.
Pavel and Willy glassed elk hills. Pavel had stalk on beautiful 8 pt elk, followed him thru the bush, but no clear shot. Pavel got back quite excited, not that often you can see beautiful elk that close.
For evening hunt we went to elk hills looking for Mr.Big. Everybody got to strategic positions. This 4 pt showed uphill about 200 yards away grazing in bushes. No clear shot. Dispersed and crawl on our belies to verify points and get clear shot. Smart bull froze for second in clearing between bushes. Agree Ko3ak will shoot and others will follow up if required. Sure thing no follow up was required even before everybody could get aim. His 7mm RemMag have done job nicely. Ko3ak sometimes amaze me by his quick and precise shooting. Rest of the time we make jokes on him about him slow moving. He is military style guy, if there were slow deployment military forces , he could made at least to major. This 4pt elk bull had still nice velvet on antlers.
So, it was getting dark. Couple pictures and go back to work. Four guys pull animal out of bush quite quickly, excellent team work. Noted some elk cow hiding in bush and watching how we remove her possible to be suitor.
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt41/sneg13/2009_hunt_north302.jpg
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt41/sneg13/2009_hunt_north87.jpg

leadpillproductions
10-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Sounds like a good hunt congrads.

sneg
10-19-2009, 09:15 PM
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt41/sneg13/DSCN8393.jpg

sneg
10-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks . we all really enjoyed it. Story to be continued.

sneg
10-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Day 5 Fork moose
Pavel ,Gregory and Grisha were glassing elk hills looking for Mr. Big Elk all day .They have seen number of cow elk –single and with calfs, also couple young bulls. On way back young 3 x 4 pt show himself on hill above. Pavel was trying make a stalk to get better shot, but this guy disappeared in bushes without trace .Everyone was surprised how quietly this animal can be .
We explored various locations along creek and marshes. Spotted nice fork moose more than 150 yards below at moment when it disappeared behind trees, moving toward cliff on side of river. Game plan was quick and simple. I m going behind bull trying to drive it to open space on side of the river . Ko3ak and Willy assume ambush position along predicted path. I did not see bull, but could hear it moving in front of me. I was exited, direction of movement was straight toward river and my partners should see him in opening in few seconds. .. O no… Suddenly moose bolted out , rushing thru bushes. Rifle shot… This is 7 mm Rem Mag. Distance could not be big, so must be sure shot . But what is going on , bull continue run . I can hear how bull is moving thru trees , breaking branches and bushes. Miss ? ….?... ? Than clearly sound of big body fallen to ground. Probably it was few seconds between shot and fall, but sure it seem like few minutes. Congratulations, Hi-Five, pictures and work begin. Overall it took about 1 hour to clean it up and quarter. After that couple more hours to bring all to roadside and load.
Now back to camp for lunch and small relax. What is going on in camp. Pavel organized construction of camp sauna. Made out of plastic and heated by stones from fire . Everyone enjoyed nice soothing heat and jump into cold river. Refreshment drink after sauna made it complete. Everybody felt like born again and ready for evening hunt.

huntcoop
10-19-2009, 10:04 PM
More like the United Nations Hunt Club.

hunter1947
10-20-2009, 06:03 AM
What a good way to spend a hunting trip ,lots of stories around the fire at night ,very nice wright up as for the pic ,thanks for the class room pic http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

Sounds like you guys had a blast http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif.

bowhunterbruce
10-20-2009, 06:17 AM
love the story and adventures ,pics are looking pretty cool.good times and good team mates equals good success very well done
bruce

sneg
10-20-2009, 07:12 AM
thanks guys. re flags - no political statement there. It s just fun and representation of fatherland countries of people in our club. All members have different background ,but have one common passion for hunting. One of goals of our club is recruting and helping new immigrants to become safe and successful hunters. It is better to have people on right side than on anti-hunting side. Club is 4 months old,but we have helped a number of guys with selection of gear and pointers for hunting spots. Every weekend hunt we have new hunter with us learning ropes. Thanks to club, so far this year BC became reacher by 4 new responsible hunters. Our goal to connect new hunters with their big game on first year. Two already have done it. We also have run one safe fire arms camp for kids.Not just our kids ,but kids of friends and friends of friends. That camp for kids was huge success and now their parents keep asking when we will have next one.

Everett
10-20-2009, 07:29 AM
Wife and I drove right past your guys camp near drowned my truck in a whole in the river right in front of your trailer.

d6dan
10-20-2009, 07:42 AM
Great story and Pics Sneg. That club of yours sounds like a great Idea. Guys like you and your Buddies are needed to keep hunting alive and well in our Great Province. Good Job..:-)

sneg
10-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Everett,
I think I remember you. You have done well on your truck. Hope talk to one of our guys was helpfull ? Couple days before that we had some other guys drwan their trucks. Well , this what toys are for.

sneg
10-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks D6Dan. have a good season.

boyd050
10-20-2009, 05:11 PM
great stories and congratulations on your success, Really cool to see the pictures, and I applaud your club, great idea !!!

sneg
10-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Day 6. Bear. Truck crossing.
Day started from little disappointment. Some animal chew bottom of elk hanging on meat pole. Judging by height it must be tall bear or something. It was still dark and we could see eyes of some other small animals lurking in bushes. Have seen couple coyotes as well. Cleaned up and re-arranged meat. All went to trees. Some guys drove to hike to elk place. Others left on ATV and some hike along creek looking for caribou. No anything special found. Gregory spotted huge bear decided to fill up his second bear tag. Bear was quite high up hill , sitting slightly behind the tree and small terrace. It was challenging to find good shooting position. .338 win have done job nicely. Bear slide down hill right toward shooter. But of course it stuck behind small bush and stopped. Now everyone had good laugh , as Gregory climbing up and pulling bear from bush. Nice job. Good and precise shooting. Everyone tired after morning scouting .Relax after lunch. It was raining all day like crazy. Creek swells and level slightly raised. Some yahoo decided to cross the creek on 2WD truck. Of course it stuck. They came to ask for help. Spend hour or so pulling that truck from the creek. I span my new tires and cut piece of rubber from my tire protector by sharp stone. That guy just wave hand as thank you. Some people just plain morons, I think.
This was second case we were pulling trucks from creek. Probably time to open resque station here and work part time job.

BlacktailStalker
10-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Quite the hunt and adventure.26 hours, you could have been clear out of BC in that time !!
Definitely no shortage of meat in your camp :cool:
If there is fish in that river I would have left the guy, its against the law to cross a river in a vehicle.

sneg
10-20-2009, 08:04 PM
BlacktailStalker
Not sure about fish.Someone say there should be .I have not seen any. You are right ,our first camp was some dozen miles from BC border. About resque ? Not sure if I could leave someone without help hundred miles from civilization.But may be it is not right, as you said.

sneg
10-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Day 7 . Another truck crossing and MR. Moose
It rain most of the night and early morning. Than skies are clear and some northern freshness in the air. Team wake up around 4 AM . With cup of fresh coffee we gazed at northern lights. Unforgettable view. First part of the day spend time on slops looking for elk. Already started antlerless elk season. Some had idea if no Mr.Big Bull today than may settle for good meat cow. However , probably cows had calendar as well. None of them were in usual places. Spend time glassing slopes and checking meadows. Willy crossed creek and took some water inside his new boots. All lunch time he spend drying it around campfire. When boots were almost dry , he decided to shave. Naturally one boot caught fire. Lucky for Willy George had spare set of knee high waders. So Willy borrowed one. If you see on picture guy in different boots, do not get confused. This is not some kind of special hunting tactics. That deep fried boot still is subject of many jocks in our camp. Everybody came to camptired and wet. After nice luch team have a nap. Some Polish guy stop over and we had a talk. He told that his buddy crack engine on his truck crossing this creek. Also he gaave me away his honey hole for moose. Thanks buddy for pointer if you read this post . We have checked that place, it sure hold lot of moose.But we did not connected to any. I relaxed in my truck and quickly drifted away. Than shout for help. Some What is that ? O no.......Another truck stuck in the river. WTF... I guess driver had no idea how to cross the river . He tried to cross at straight angle and anturally truck shifted from crossing path and than stuck between big rocks. Two of them and seems they already were very low on their beer stock. They had old fella with them sitting in truck and hold rifle in his hands. For some reason I have made conclusion that he is father of one of the guys..... I wish my dad was alive and could go hunting with me...
o well. let try to help. It did not go easily . I could not pull that truck alone. Other by passer helped out. It took two trucks to resque this one.
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt41/sneg13/2009_hunt_north105.jpg
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt41/sneg13/2009_hunt_north276.jpg

sneg
10-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Afternoon spotted few cows ,but they were with calves. Spotted young fork bull moose hundred or so meters in the bushes. However he spotted us as well and quickly disappeared uphill between trees and bushes. OK than, let see if we can find you. I stayed at bottom of hill glassing the slope and 3 of others slowly move uphill, trying to round up location where bull hide. None of partners carry a gun , generally area was not too large and idea was that I should be able to shoot should bull move to my direction or go uphill clear cut above the meadow. My partners quickly close up on selected location. Than Ko3ak emerges from bushes and make signals ,show by hand there is moose in bushes. “Where ?” - I asked by hand. “There !!”, his hands were screaming. “ Come on man , why so excited ? Is it fork bull ?’ – I asked slightly relaxed. He said ;- “ That’s 10 pt”. …wow.. looking for 2pt ,but found 10 pt. I almost flew to location shown . And there he is . Slowly grazing away. I m trying to count all tines, not easy. Also stunned by beauty of the beast. Skin is flawless and antlers are symmetrical and gorgeous. I got him in my scope, but did not rush to pull trigger. Moose made his way around small bush and came up to open space. I was motionless, but did not hide. Bull finally noted me and stopped. I like to think that he felt what is going on. He glance at me and than forward to possible escape route. There was no escape for him. Adrenalin was rushing thru my veins, but my hands are steady . I felt very confident and same time very respectful to beast. Let him to have his final moment. I do not know how long did it last, but that ‘s it. It seemed like bull was about to make his dash forward. Of course he could not overrun my trusty Rem.700, 30-06 , Nosler partition. Nice ,clean shot and down he goes right on his tracks, did not move even inch. Moose on ground. Everybody around for pictures and stuff. This beauty is huge. Wow, lot of work for everybody. Good team work.

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt41/sneg13/DSCN8359.jpg
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt41/sneg13/DSCN8357.jpg

sneg
10-20-2009, 08:42 PM
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt41/sneg13/2009_hunt_north118.jpg

BlacktailStalker
10-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Nice moose Sneg !!

Koot
10-20-2009, 09:36 PM
good read! Sounds like a great trip with good friends

ElectricDyck
10-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Looks like a great trip. Beauty moose! I looked at crossing that river after 3 days of rain and decided against it, but I don`t like wet stinky interiors.

Blainer
10-20-2009, 09:47 PM
That was quite an adventure.
Good read and great pictures.tfs

coho456
10-20-2009, 09:50 PM
great pics ,good stories .Thanks enjoyed it

GrandA
10-20-2009, 10:10 PM
awesome read, did you take notes every night or simply remember all of this!

sneg
10-21-2009, 05:37 AM
No I did not take any notes. It just every day had some memorable stuff and rest you remember as happened that day.We have buch of good people,you can count of every one. Also it was not stop laughter trip.:razz:
Moose now at taxi for full head mount with velvet preserved. But it will take a year before i get it back.:sad:

d6dan
10-21-2009, 08:10 AM
Wow Sneg, thats a nice moose. Going to look good on the wall, Congrats again on a great hunting trip..:smile:

hillclimber
10-21-2009, 01:13 PM
wow sounds like you guys had an awesome trip and took lots of nice animals. i hope you keep adding on to this thread for a while longer LOL.

cheers
stefan

PGK
10-21-2009, 02:07 PM
The destruction of and disrespect toward our aquatic environments makes me sad :( Too many douchebags out there

KB90
10-21-2009, 02:44 PM
The destruction of and disrespect toward our aquatic environments makes me sad :( Too many douchebags out there

Once while fishing for sockeye a guy in a RENTED ford crew cab decided He was going to cross this small channel (instead of parking where everyone else was) so he didn't have to put his waders on to walk to where we were fishing. This small channel was filled with hundreds of spawning pink salmon, total idiot:mad:. He procedded to cross in the deepest and fastet moving spot and next thing he knew he was stuck...oh shit... water coming in through the doors engine submerged exaust and all four tires in the water. His next great plan was to rev this shit of the truck for a couple minutes thinking he could get out (stirring this small channel up to the point where it looked like a mud puddle). Finally the truck quit and he decided he was stuck and got out and decided to call for help. I can't imagine the damage done to the spawning fish? As he called a fellow fisherman over for help, someone else called fisheries :) . Just as they were pulling the truck out fisheries showed up and his bad day just got worse. I don't know what fines he recieved (the fisheries woman did not look impressed) but the damage to the truck was pretty bad too. He could not drive it away it wouldnt run, the interior was water logged and filled with mud, and the tires were almost bald after his 5 minutes of constant spinning them in the rocks. Haha hope he has the best rental insurance:) ...I could not believe his lack of respect for the fish and the river...
(as a result of this incident they have fenced all access to the river. You have to now walk in. but hey I can't complain it keeps the lazy people out more fish for me :) )

ElectricDyck
10-21-2009, 03:21 PM
This particular river is frequently crossed and the fisheries aspect has already been talked to death on here. I talked to the forest ranger and he even got his truck stuck in that spot and had to get winched out.

PGK
10-21-2009, 03:28 PM
This particular river is frequently crossed and the fisheries aspect has already been talked to death on here. I talked to the forest ranger and he even got his truck stuck in that spot and had to get winched out.

The point being is that it should not be crossed. Just because it's accepted does not mean it's justified. Top five reasons why I do not associate myself as a hunter in public. Hunters dont give a rats ass about the environment.

sneg
10-21-2009, 03:40 PM
PGK,
I m not afraid to associate myself with hunters and do promote everywhere hunting as sound wildlife management. If sometime someone of our kind made stupid things we should not hide out heads, but admit and correct if possible. This is our heritage that hunters are typically responsible citizens, so let's try to keep that way.

huntwriter
10-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Hunters dont give a rats ass about the environment. Who needs enemies with stupid comments like that coming from a hunter. Glad you're not a public spokesperson.

10-21-2009, 04:17 PM
dont turn a good thread bad
i am enjoying this one

Blainer
10-21-2009, 04:22 PM
The point being is that it should not be crossed. Just because it's accepted does not mean it's justified. Top five reasons why I do not associate myself as a hunter in public. Hunters dont give a rats ass about the environment.
Ever consider taking that foot from your mouth?
This is a public hunting forum and you want to mock hunters?
Then quit hunting,save a grouse.

GoatGuy
10-21-2009, 04:23 PM

I suppose anglers wouldn't do such a thing on rivers like the Skeena or the Fraser................

Is this what happens when the bait runs out?

huntwriter
10-21-2009, 04:48 PM
dont turn a good thread bad
i am enjoying this one

You're absolutely right and I apologize. But it is hard to shut up when a person makes such generalizing derogatory comments, and repeatedly does so on several issues pertaining to hunting on this website.

Mik
10-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Prozdrovlayu Vas, Congratulations on the hunt, great story and pics.

Everett
10-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Everett,
I think I remember you. You have done well on your truck. Hope talk to one of our guys was helpfull ? Couple days before that we had some other guys drwan their trucks. Well , this what toys are for.

I spoke with a nice fellow from the Island not sure if he was one of yours are not followed him out through the lower crossing. That upper crossin g has a big hole in it. I managed to get the nose out before I sucked to much water. For all you newer ranger owners your air intake is way to low.

sneg
10-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Gents,
Clarification - this part of river ,including river crossing is approved motorized vehicle access road. It is limited to 400m each way side from the road at this segment. Therefore my assumption that no significant damage is done by crossing trucks.

sneg
10-21-2009, 07:09 PM
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt41/sneg13/2009_hunt_north132.jpgThanks guys,
Sorry for long tread.Trip was 2 weeks long.
Day 08 5pt Elk bull
Went again to moose place to see if we can find our fork bull from yesterday. Found couple moose cows with calves. Nothing to shoot. This place got new name –“moose city”. Andrew, Gregory, Grisha and Pavel spend most of the day looking for elk. This place holds fair number of elk. But it is not easy to approach. Most of elk hiding in bushes or grazing on meadows along terraces on slop. They can see us approaching, but we can not see them. Broken twig or brunch can spoil even most stealthy approach . guys have spotted this nice bull over 400 m away into the open. They decided to crawl on their bellies to get better shot. It seems bull felt their presence and started to move toward thick bush stripe on east side of the slope. Just below this stripe there is quite steep and deep draw. Should bull run to that direction you ‘ll never find it. Two guys were slowly moving toward bull and two others move across trying to cut out bull should it decide to run. It was marvelous plan. Bull felt pressure and quickly move toward expected direction. Andrew got aim and shot. It was good shot, but not lethal. Elk slowed down ,but continue his way out. Andrew has good rifle ,but it single shot. He is loosing precious time. This when you need a good partner. Grisha stand up and take shot just few seconds before bull jumps into bushes . his reliable .338 Win. Mag. have done job marvelously .Bull did not make more than couple steps and fall. Great job Grisha. Grisha probably most experienced hunter among us and he knows his stuff. Now it is time to make couple pics, clean up and pack animal. Also it is quite a distance to road where truck is parked. Guys decided to bring quartered animal to side cross road , that make shorter distance to carry . One went to get truck and drive around to come from another side to this cross road. Unfortunately truck run out of gas completely dry and stopped in most inconvenient place it can be , if there is such thing as convenient place to run out of gas. It took some time to fill it up from jerry can and prime fuel pump.
Guys waiting under rain have started to worry little what has happened to truck. Everything ended up happily and people back to camp sometime after night fhttp://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt41/sneg13/2009_hunt_north126.jpgall.

sneg
10-21-2009, 07:20 PM
some more pics

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt41/sneg13/2009_hunt_north372.jpg

sneg
10-21-2009, 07:23 PM
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt41/sneg13/DSCN8320.jpghttp://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt41/sneg13/DSCN8328.jpg