PDA

View Full Version : Bowen Island regulations

killerkevin
10-19-2009, 08:27 PM
hello
I have been planning to try bowhunting on bowen island for my first time on the island. I figure I would call the municipal clerk to confirm any specific regulations in regard to bowen island and I am told that the island is restricted to private land use only. So I would need to contact someone who owns private land on the island and get written permission that i can hunt on their land if I want to hunt on bowen island. I was just curious if anyone else can confirm this or correct that statement.

I figure if it was restricted to private land use only then why is it listed under general open season in the regs?. Or they should at least have a note saying *restricted to private land use only.

Foxtail
10-20-2009, 12:46 PM
I went with my dad years ago when I was like 15, we didn't see any deer and ran into way too many people walkin their dogs, never went back again. I don't know about the private land thing.

MB_Boy
10-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Kevin.....given all the nightmares that have been posted on here over the years about inquiries to hunt on Bowen I would save yourself the hassle.

If you don't mind hiking a bit I would head to Gambier instead as there is more land you can access over there.

There is a "mindset" of MANY locals/landowners on Bowen that doesn't lend itself too receptive to the hunting community. ;)

killerkevin
10-20-2009, 04:30 PM
haha yeah... it sounded like a good bowhunters island when I read the regs. 3 deer bag limit and all bow only sounded pretty sweet!. But I think I got some other areas I'll hit up back east instead now.

I actually know people who bowhunted there back in the day just fine and reccomended it to me... maybe things were different back then or they hunted it not knowing the full restrictions. I could see alot of other hunters misunderstanding the regs and going there to hunt and getting in big trouble. Good thing I decided to call the muncipal clerk first!. I'll just stick to where hunters are a little more welcome! thanks for the advice!

Foxtail
10-20-2009, 06:08 PM
You could try Texada...

killerkevin
10-20-2009, 08:04 PM
hmmm I thought about texada too... if I can aviod anti hunters and hunt freely on crown land I'd give it a shot.

Foxtail
10-21-2009, 08:42 AM
Texada is hunter friendly... you just have to watch you don't stumble into somebody's crop... if ya know what I mean lol

There is a road that goes to the south end of the island, hike from there...

killerkevin
10-21-2009, 04:42 PM
thanks man!

5/10/85
10-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Bowen island is private land with longbow (or recurve) only. The use of compound or crossbow is prohibited (last I checked). Basically enough rules to keep the hunters away. Fine if you're a traditionalist - plenty of deer there though, so pick up a cedar bough and some twine and let 'em fly.

killerkevin
10-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Yeah I found that out. They make it seem so open to hunting in the regs! those *******s!

Duckman
12-14-2009, 12:29 AM
Here is the bylaw

http://www.bimbc.ca/files/embedded/BIM%20Bylaw%20No.21,%202000.pdf

Magnumb
12-20-2009, 10:32 PM
I've hunted Bowen a couple of times and found the north end to be pretty receptive if you ask people directly, introduce yourself and usually hunt later in the fall (Nov on). Usually all the summer crowds are well on their way out and the foot traffic by the locals is a little slower.
I've found Texada to be way more hunter friendly. More access to land and good spots to hunt where you aren't bumping into people.