PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle restricted areas...a joke

10-19-2009, 12:13 PM
I was cutting firewood yesterday in a hunting road closure area. There was a bulldozer parked across the road to keep people from going farther than where we were cutting wood, as they were actively logging beyond that...when a couple a guys in a jeep came by in full camo. They stopped to pull some rocks out of the way so they could get by the bulldozer and said "they think they can keep us from going further, but they can't". Seeing them in camo, I replied " isn't this a road closure area". The driver said, "yes, but I have a handicapped permitt." Interesting. Sure didn't seem handicapped to me, especially while pulling rocks of the road.

I spoke with the CO, who said the handicapped permits are a joke, and basically anybody can get one with a letter from their doctor. So any red-neck @sshole with a "sore back" can qualify. Defeats the purpose of a road closure.

Krico
10-19-2009, 12:39 PM
My back hurts. I am going to make a doctor's appointment.

gary murray
10-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Where i've been hunting is vehicle restricted to hunters and or transporting hunters and game. However, you can drive through there till your hearts content if you're only sightseeing, cutting firewood etc and not to mention the active logging that's going on in there right now. There's a sign on a tree about it from the M.O.E. that's been there for years but it's not in the regs as they took it out a while back but they do have it listed in one of those backroads map books as restricted.

bowhunterbruce
10-19-2009, 01:04 PM
while out on horseback on saturday in a road closed area we came ove a hill only to see a dark blue ford f250 with alberta plates 2guys in the truck all decked out in camo and guns between thier legs .we told them they were in a closed area and all they could come up with was they didnt see the (4'x8') sign set up at a bridge that said road closed to vehicles for the purpose of hunting.i asked them how the hell they were able to drive and hunt if they couldnt even see something that big.
the look of oh shit were busted was all over thier face's when we confronted them then got on our radio right in front of them and forwarded thier plates to another buddy that was over in another drainage and he proceeded to call the co's.
what was the best part is that there is only one way into the whole drainage and from where they were at they had nowhere to go but straight into the hands of the co's who were accually in the office at the time.
my only wish was to be standing beside the co's truck when they pulled up to watch them try and bullshit thier way out of it.
we asked the co's to let us know if they found them as alot of other hunters in the area knew and had also seen the truck around.
the main problem is the regulations have far to many loopholes to get around road closeures ie:"oh were just sight seeing and the guns are for protection from bears"etc.
if someone is caught inside and say this then a co can not prove any different unless he see's them accually stalking or shooting an animals and they get it on film he's hooped.
bruce

Boombb
10-19-2009, 01:36 PM
I know your in the right.... But I still think your a wanker ^

d6dan
10-19-2009, 01:59 PM
I spoke with the CO, who said the handicapped permits are a joke, and basically anybody can get one with a letter from their doctor. So any red-neck @sshole with a "sore back" can qualify. Defeats the purpose of a road closure.

Not entirely true. I apply to drive on closed roads because of my Inability to walk. the application goes to the CO's in the region I want to hunt and then its up to their discression as to okay the permit. They are not handed out by Doctors!.(Handicap Parking Permits don't work for hunting.)

10-19-2009, 02:30 PM
I know your in the right.... But I still think your a wanker ^

If by "wanker" you mean someone who plays by the rules when hunting, then yes, I guess I am.

10-19-2009, 02:54 PM
All I can say is that you had better pray that you are never in a position to request/require such a permit. Then you will know what it is like to look at the mountains and only have the memory of what it was like to hunt along the ridges.

Also not that there are still some serious restrictions, even with the permit. You said there were 2 guys with rifles? Well that is against the law unless they both have permits. The permit is supposed to be prominently displayed while hunting.

I'm in the same boat as D6Dan. I've had applications rejected before in certain areas.

Here is the application:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications/docs/disabled_hunting_app.pdf

Here is the medical form:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications/docs/medical_assessment_form.pdf

Fisher-Dude
10-19-2009, 06:08 PM
if someone is caught inside and say this then a co can not prove any different unless he see's them accually stalking or shooting an animals and they get it on film he's hooped.
bruce

Wrong. A CO can bust you for having a gun in your vehicle in a closed area, end of story. He doesn't need to prove anything more than that to get the charge to stick.

Unless there is a conservation concern, all road closures in this province should be repealed anyway. By and large, they are in place to appease the GOs and screw residents out of hunting areas.

RiverBoatFantasy
10-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Wrong. A CO can bust you for having a gun in your vehicle in a closed area, end of story. He doesn't need to prove anything more than that to get the charge to stick.

Unless there is a conservation concern, all road closures in this province should be repealed anyway. By and large, they are in place to appease the GOs and screw residents out of hunting areas.

And here all along I thought you loved Anna and her late hubby. I am mildly impressed with your comment. Clowns impress at times.

10-19-2009, 07:28 PM

I think that may be the best solution.

Jelvis
10-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Road restrictions on motorized vehicles don't help protect deer if people drive on them to hunt or just drop there partners off after driving up to the top of the ridge and go down and around and pick em up in the open road area 2k away. That is poaching. So any c.o. or peace officer can nail you, IF you finally get caught, shooting a deer in a road closure area on which you frove such ve hick el hic, sordy wehicle motorized in a CLOSED road - so yah.
Doesn't mean the nearest town of people are going to understand the lingo gringo. Or even try to twist it, like, "Everyone I know in town use it."
The problem is local the nearest user groups. All of them, have 3 out of 100 userz that want to play Silly Bugger and be anti sign types.
Use RAPP I guess if you see it happening at the va hairy moment hic
I say don't even leave the roads in question use resloping and debree and STOP the traffick. But moe says fire access we can't afford it anyways, the original loggers were supposed to reslope back to naturally, so listen to the leaders is always bestest indah westest hic. dang hic ups.
Jel -- if an access road is there -- some bean head will drive it -- reslope -

FLHTCUI
10-19-2009, 08:14 PM

My buddy who has had to knee replacements ( of which one is worse than the original ) was going to go this route.
But, by the time he went to his Doctor and submitted three or four pages of paper work , not to mention it would not be ready till next hunting season I fail to see where the CO cna claim this a joke !
I agree these guys sounded suspect and it would appear at least one of them was/is Bull sh$%ing the system.
It would ahve been good to get a picture and submit it to the proper authorities as iirc you can get some serious doodoo for filing false government documents.
Oh he probly is a buddy of Gordo , so it is all right.
Rob

10-19-2009, 08:35 PM
My buddy who has had to knee replacements ( of which one is worse than the original ) was going to go this route.
But, by the time he went to his Doctor and submitted three or four pages of paper work , not to mention it would not be ready till next hunting season I fail to see where the CO cna claim this a joke !
I agree these guys sounded suspect and it would appear at least one of them was/is Bull sh$%ing the system.
It would ahve been good to get a picture and submit it to the proper authorities as iirc you can get some serious doodoo for filing false government documents.
Oh he probly is a buddy of Gordo , so it is all right.
Rob

I have absolutely no problem with legitimately disabled people gaining access to road closure areas....nowhere have I stated otherwise. I just have a problem with those who abuse the system. The CO I spoke with last week told me that so many people abuse the system, that he felt the only way to maintain the relevency of road closures was to exclude ALL hunters with vehicles...no exceptions. As for cumbersome paperwork to gain disabled status...really just hoops to jump through for those who want to be bothered with it.

chinooker
10-19-2009, 10:09 PM
road closures are bs anyway and some rules are just made to be broken :D

Jelvis
10-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Silly thinkin or stinkin thinkin -- a 3 percenter -- lol -- rulez are made to be broken eh . ah hah I know you wood knot do soch a ting -- ding a ling lol
Billy's Pond road closurez are there for you, yes you to help you get excercise -
r u chubby
Jel we got a rebel with out a cause lol --

hunter1947
10-20-2009, 05:57 AM
Road restrictions do keep out 90% of the hunters.

FLHTCUI
10-20-2009, 06:44 AM
325 , my appologize to you!
I do agree there should be some form of access to those with legitamit dissabilities.
I did not and do not wish to cast doubt on the intent your original post.
The comment on the CO's part is the bit I have trouble with.
As I said my buddy who was going to do the paper work has nothing but time as he runs a successfull small business here in the Lower Mainland.
So he spends lots of time on his butt going paper work.
There are more than a few things that need to be taken into consideration.
Yes, there are people and always will be who will bend the rules or out right toss them aside in disregaurd of ethics/morals and general rules of fair chase...
Rob

d6dan
10-20-2009, 08:11 AM
And for those who break the rules, We have CO's to deal with them and honest hunters as their eyes and ears...:-)

palmer
10-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Its the same old BS for the GO's. Two years ago I was in the Flathead, right at one of the road closures into the kish park. I see a truck coming out with two guys in camo. I take down the plate number and next day give it to the CO. He says its OK its the guide and he has a permit to drive his clients into and out of the park to his camp which is 40 km in the road closure....So I gotta walk and everybody else just drives....sucks to be a resident some times...

GoatGuy
10-20-2009, 10:34 AM
I was cutting firewood yesterday in a hunting road closure area. There was a bulldozer parked across the road to keep people from going farther than where we were cutting wood, as they were actively logging beyond that...when a couple a guys in a jeep came by in full camo. They stopped to pull some rocks out of the way so they could get by the bulldozer and said "they think they can keep us from going further, but they can't". Seeing them in camo, I replied " isn't this a road closure area". The driver said, "yes, but I have a handicapped permitt." Interesting. Sure didn't seem handicapped to me, especially while pulling rocks of the road.

Some people aren't physically handicapped.