PDA

View Full Version : what would you do??

lightmag
10-19-2009, 11:43 AM
So you have no draw, it's calf season, how do you hunt? sit and call and pray to the moose gods a 2pt walks out, pick 1 cut/area and slowly still hunt it or pick an area with lots of good spots, blocks, etc and get out early and hit all these spots by truck/quad basically road hunting???

Why? because I'm FRUSTRATED!!!! I'm up almost every morning at 5am, out to my spots before first light, driving thru great moose habitat and walking deact's yet notta!!!! (area 7-10), not even seeing moose, this is weird for me.

Then to top it all off after spending the morning back off the main road in blocks i come out to the main FSR and buddy drives by with a 2pt he shot right off the main FSR!!! (i drove up and saw the gut pile).

So guess what, i'll do it all over again wednesday, eventually it has to come together right?

lightmag.

jml11
10-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Hopefully it works out for you. All I can say is that moose hunting around here comes down to one thing...LUCK...aka being in the right place at the time. As soon as calf season opened up I was out at first light spotted a 3x3 bull...BCrams was in a nearby block, 4 moose and one calf (which he shot). Next day new block 4 moose together...one 2x2 (which I shot). I have just been walking into fairly new cuts off the beaten path a bit before the quads can get in. I have always been fairly successful at just walking in...4 two points and two bigger bulls in seven years to my credit as a result and always before noon. Never called in a moose yet...or tried for that matter. I certainly attribute all of my moose success to plain old luck...

Maybe switch up to an evening hunt?

BCrams
10-19-2009, 12:06 PM
While there's always the 'luck' factor. It does come down to studying maps and having a pretty good idea where to start looking for them. Making your own luck so to speak. The spot I chose to hunt this year, I have hunted in the past before logging occured with success. I nailed the area within the harvest block where I expected to see moose before I even went out there and it was exactly where I saw the 4.

Its not very often we see moose when 'driving' through nice blocks and I prefer to select my spots and walk them or watch certain meadows / lakes depending on my mood.

PGK
10-19-2009, 02:45 PM
What they're saying is.....it helps to be a moose biologist :lol:

2points and calves...luck required. 2x2 walked out in front of mom two years ago...boom!boom!.....blind luck. Hunt in high density areas. I've never found an area in 7-10 that I would personally classify as a high-density moose area. Lots of transient areas, not a lot of pockets, seems like.

lightmag
10-19-2009, 02:58 PM

2points and calves...luck required. 2x2 walked out in front of mom two years ago...boom!boom!.....blind luck. Hunt in high density areas. I've never found an area in 7-10 that I would personally classify as a high-density moose area. Lots of transient areas, not a lot of pockets, seems like.

that's funny as i've heard that 7-10 has some of the highest numbers of game around? that being said from what i've seen this year i would definately have to disagree,

Heading out to 7-12 wednesday and checking out some spots out there, maybe the 2 "moose biologist's" could point me in the right direction seeing i've seem to forgot how to hunt and find game! all my spots seem to have dried up???

kgs
10-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Seems to me that there is a lack of moose around this year I have seen maybe ten in the last 7 weeks. Last year I spotted over 55 moose in a 4week period. I agree it is simply luck to a degree. I suggest you tough it out or switch areas. Its always a risk to change from hunting in a great spot but if your not seeing moose then move you have nothing to lose. Talk about luck this year for the first time ever I shot a deer on my first time out hunting that has never happen to me ever so yea it luck lol..Good Luck..

jml11
10-19-2009, 04:02 PM

Whe I used to hunt 7-10 a few years back (also when I was moose rookie) we found a great honey hole, moose everywhere. I that same block we saw 3 cows with calves, couple of 2 points and a couple of big bulls mixed in with cows galore. I remember one morning seeing 7 moose in the block. Too bad we were rookies and were only ever able to come with a single calf even though one of us had a bull draw. I havn't hunted this area in years and it is probably overgrown now...

PGK
10-19-2009, 04:04 PM
That's the kind of pocket I'm talking about. Moose cities! You just gotta find a spot

jml11
10-19-2009, 04:18 PM
that's funny as i've heard that 7-10 has some of the highest numbers of game around? that being said from what i've seen this year i would definately have to disagree,

Heading out to 7-12 wednesday and checking out some spots out there, maybe the 2 "moose biologist's" could point me in the right direction seeing i've seem to forgot how to hunt and find game! all my spots seem to have dried up???

7-16 used to have the highest densities but from hearsay it sounds like the management regime up there is working and the moose are hard to come by but I still think you could find em with a bit of effort.

I take it you live out west, seen a few in 7-15 Isle pierre area a couple years ago, off the bobtail, maybe worth a look.

The area BCrams and I have had luck this year is a busier area but the moose are there and are getting hammered right now. I know of 4 bulls taken in the block I got my 2-pointer in and few others over the past week. The area has historically been mostly bush but with all the new logging over the past two winters the moose are being exposed and are getting shot up pretty good. Hopefully there are some left for next year. A hint to where it is...quite a few elk kicking around too :-D. Man I was pissed on the morning of Oct 10th when I watched a 3-point bull moose chase a cow elk into the bush only to hear her sugar daddy bugle at the moose a couple of times. He was less than 100 yds from me (80 yards of open block) and open aspen just across the creek where he was, so I know I could have got him if it was only a day earlier :mad:. Of course assuming he was a 6-point as he was obviously the herd bull.

I don't think you are doing anything different than I would, you just aren't getting the luck I have been refering to. Although some of you are having trouble finding moose I have had more sightings this year than ever. But have not seen much for calves...:???:

lightmag
10-19-2009, 04:18 PM
i'd be willing to see if it is over grown now wink wink, lol..

Whe I used to hunt 7-10 a few years back (also when I was moose rookie) we found a great honey hole, moose everywhere. I that same block we saw 3 cows with calves, couple of 2 points and a couple of big bulls mixed in with cows galore. I remember one morning seeing 7 moose in the block. Too bad we were rookies and were only ever able to come with a single calf even though one of us had a bull draw. I havn't hunted this area in years and it is probably overgrown now...

lightmag
10-19-2009, 04:21 PM
i'm, going over my maps and google earth as we speaking marking spots were i will head wednesday, packing up the gear and quad and heading out for the day!!

Probably just see dry cows as usual, lol...freeze needs meat that 6x6 elk is almost gone from last year.....

lightmag
10-19-2009, 04:30 PM
7-16 used to have the highest densities but from hearsay it sounds like the management regime up there is working and the moose are hard to come by but I still think you could find em with a bit of effort.

I take it you live out west, seen a few in 7-15 Isle pierre area a couple years ago, off the bobtail, maybe worth a look.

The area BCrams and I have had luck this year is a busier area but the moose are there and are getting hammered right now. I know of 4 bulls taken in the block I got my 2-pointer in and few others over the past week. The area has historically been mostly bush but with all the new logging over the past two winters the moose are being exposed and are getting shot up pretty good. Hopefully there are some left for next year. A hint to where it is...quite a few elk kicking around too :-D. Man I was pissed on the morning of Oct 10th when I watched a 3-point bull moose chase a cow elk into the bush only to hear her sugar daddy bugle at the moose a couple of times. He was less than 100 yds from me (80 yards of open block) and open aspen just across the creek where he was, so I know I could have got him if it was only a day earlier :mad:. Of course assuming he was a 6-point as he was obviously the herd bull.

I don't think you are doing anything different than I would, you just aren't getting the luck I have been refering to. Although some of you are having trouble finding moose I have had more sightings this year than ever. But have not seen much for calves...:???:

we saw 4 BIG bulls in 7-16 this year, 1 was 50+!! sounds like your "honey hole" is in 7-24??? The problem i have is the last 3 years i have concentrated on elk in small pockets not really scouting/moose hunting as i haven't had a bull draw in 12+ years!! then i switch to deer in november so moose hasn't been my priority lately. But now that i struck out on elk and want to hold out for a decent buck, a moose in the freeze would be perfect! guess i'll just keep hitting the bush in search of 'moose city"

BCrams
10-19-2009, 05:18 PM
. But now that i struck out on elk and want to hold out for a decent buck,

You could always hunt for a meat buck to fill the freezer! I did just that last year.

Tips. Don't wander so far from PG for moose ;)

7-10 in particular.....further you get from PG the worse the moose hunting gets.