PDA

View Full Version : Yummmm!!!

brotherjack
01-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Fresh jerky just came out of the oven! Oh my! Is it ever GOOD! I got peperoni sticks coming tomorrow night! Oh yeah! ...

Am I ever glad I talked the wife into buying the fancy convection oven with dehydrator feature after her old one died for the last time. This thing will do 4lbs of jerky in about 4 hours flat (and if I get off my butt and go buy some more dehydrator trays, I can probably fit enough trays do more like 10 lbs at a time!).

This is my first homeade jerky ever, and I must say, it turned out DELICIOUS!!! I could get used to this, now, I'm tellin' ya!

Anyway, that's all - now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

3kills
01-08-2006, 09:41 PM
hey brotherJ is that sliced jerky or formed jerky?

brotherjack
01-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Formed. I tend to like formed jerky better than sliced, so that's what I've been makin. :)

3kills
01-08-2006, 09:45 PM
cool...most stuff u by in the store is formed too...more profit when u are selling it

brotherjack
01-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Sell it heck, I'm gonna eat it all myself!!! :D

ex bc guide
01-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Whats the difference from sliced and formed?
Mike

buckslayer
01-08-2006, 09:55 PM
formed is made from ground meat and sliced is actual slices of meat

ex bc guide
01-08-2006, 10:05 PM
ok, so how does it stay together?
Mike

johnes50
01-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Fresh jerky just came out of the oven! Oh my! Is it ever GOOD! I got peperoni sticks coming tomorrow night! Oh yeah! ...

Am I ever glad I talked the wife into buying the fancy convection oven with dehydrator feature after her old one died for the last time. This thing will do 4lbs of jerky in about 4 hours flat (and if I get off my butt and go buy some more dehydrator trays, I can probably fit enough trays do more like 10 lbs at a time!).

This is my first homeade jerky ever, and I must say, it turned out DELICIOUS!!! I could get used to this, now, I'm tellin' ya!

Anyway, that's all - now back to your regularly scheduled programming...
Mmm. Sounds good.How about your recipe? Been planning to do some jerky myself and am looking for a good recipe if you have one.

buckslayer
01-08-2006, 10:29 PM
ok, so how does it stay together?
Mike

you spice it and mix it and form it into strips and when it dries it stays together

ex bc guide
01-08-2006, 10:30 PM
mmm,sounds good I will try that next I do up some jerky.
Mike

Dirty
01-09-2006, 12:01 AM
Ex, You can get guns that form the individual sticks of the formed jerky. I prefer the sliced but that is an individuals preference.

ruger#1
01-09-2006, 12:14 AM
mike the sliced jerky is the same as you buy it from the store. ive made sliced and formed. and the sliced is easyer and better tasteing. i also have a jerky shooter, i think that is what dirty was talking about. i make the sliced jerky with a food dehydrater. and it is so good.

Dirty
01-09-2006, 12:23 AM
Yeah the jerky shooter was what I was talking about, and I agree that the sliced is #1.

cowboy-up69
01-09-2006, 02:18 AM
Yummm, formed jerky is pretty good, I make that all the time, but I would have to say sliced is the way to go, but we all got our own lil preferences!!! Any kinda jerky is good!!!!

Cliff

3kills
01-09-2006, 06:24 AM
mike the sliced jerky is the same as you buy it from the store. ive made sliced and formed. and the sliced is easyer and better tasteing. i also have a jerky shooter, i think that is what dirty was talking about. i make the sliced jerky with a food dehydrater. and it is so good.

actually most jerky u buy in stores is formed jerky....

u can buy the jerky shooter things at london drugs so i have heard...

if anybody is going to make sliced jerky for the first time remember to cut off all the fat and all the sliver skin and slice it with the grain instead of across the grain...

brotherjack
01-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Mmm. Sounds good.How about your recipe? Been planning to do some jerky myself and am looking for a good recipe if you have one.

It's pretty un-original. Rick's Meats down in Cranbrook has some kind of spice mix he uses, which I bought some off of him and used. A bit of that, and a bit of American Jerky 'cure powder', and then I dry er up. I also tried the American Jerky 'original' and 'cajun' spices, which are pretty good (though basically the same flavours you'd find in storebought jerky), but I liked the Rick's Meats stuff the best.

johnes50
01-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks brotherjack.

I was gonna buy a jerky gun to make formed jerky. Then I saw a video that shows them putting the spiced ground jerky meat in a short casserole dish lined with saran wrap and waiting for it to kinda freeze. Not hard as a brick, just hard enough for it to hold together when you slice it. Then you slice it 1/4 inch thick and dry it as usual with what have you. Sounds easier and cheaper than buying a jerky gun kit. I'm gonna try it soon.

Just made some salmon lox and pickled salmon yesterday. Simple to do and tasty too!

NEEHAMA
01-09-2006, 01:33 PM
my hunting partner is a jerky shooter

brotherjack
01-09-2006, 02:42 PM
I dunno, the pan method sounds pretty handy, but the jerkey kit was like $15.99, and came with the gun, and enough spices and cure to make 5lbs of jerky. It's slick and easy to spit out perfectly formed strips and peperoni sticks too. So I dunno, if I'd heard about/thought about the pan trick first, I might not have bought the kit; but having the kit, it's pretty handy.

brotherjack
01-09-2006, 02:46 PM
I like the formed for several reasons - it's easier (IMHO) to make, the spices get all through it instead of just on the surface, and probably best of all, I end up with more burger than I'm likely to eat every year, so it gives me something to do with the excess. :)

Bow Walker
01-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Bro' J.........
:shock: PM me and I will give you my shipping address so that you might send some down this way. Tasting Is Believing as they say:-D

Jager
01-09-2006, 06:44 PM
I made the formed jerky before and just flattened it out between 2 sheets of wax paper with the rolling pin - peel off the top sheet and put your drying rack on it upside down and carefully flip it over and put it in the oven (I used a fine mesh bakers cooling rack) - dry to the desired consistency - remove and cut into strips. I think I just threw a bunch of spices into the ground meat (garlic powder, salt, brown sugar, maple syrup and some dark rum - more or less the same stuff for smoking salmon)

johnes50
01-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Jager, I think you better pour a little of that rum in a glass and test to make sure it's not gone bad. Heck, just to be sure I'd pour another glass to double check it. Wouldn't want your jerky turning out bad cause of bad rum would you?

CHilko21
01-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Hmmm, I'd have to say I like the sliced jerky better than formed, although I won't turn down jerky. Slicing across the grain gives a really chewy finished product, with the grain and you get stringy jerky, I perfer it when it's cut with the grain. My opa makes jerky by partially smoking it and I think he finishes it in an oven, whatever he does it's damn fine stuff. We've made jerky a few times at home in the oven, it's so much better than the bought stuff.

brotherjack
01-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Just a further update, the peperoni sticks just came out of the oven, and they came out even better than the jerky did. Absolutely mouth watering!!

:D

Nails
01-09-2006, 11:19 PM
I can smell it from here,mmmmMMMM

bsa30-06
01-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Just reading that makes my mouth water, i bet youre feasting tonite.

3kills
01-10-2006, 06:08 AM
Hmmm, I'd have to say I like the sliced jerky better than formed, although I won't turn down jerky. Slicing across the grain gives a really chewy finished product, with the grain and you get stringy jerky, I perfer it when it's cut with the grain. My opa makes jerky by partially smoking it and I think he finishes it in an oven, whatever he does it's damn fine stuff. We've made jerky a few times at home in the oven, it's so much better than the bought stuff.

actaully u got that backwards across the grain would make it stringy with the grain makes a good chewy product...

cowboy-up69
01-29-2006, 09:31 PM
Made some HOT venison jerky today! It jus came out of the oven and its sooo good!!!! I love it! Not much there though, probly east it all in like 2 minutes haha, but its pretty good!