PDA

View Full Version : idiots giving hunters a bad name

hawkdog
10-19-2009, 08:28 AM
conservation officer in vanderhoof went out and returned with 5 moose in his truck last week. 2 hunters were trying to cut the antlers to make it spike fork, one shot a cow, 2 didnt have a tag.

makes me sick. ruins it for the rest of us.

who trys to modify antlers??????

rocksteady
10-19-2009, 08:36 AM
A local guy with autobody experience was caught with a screw on 6th point on an elk a few years ago.....

No matter what the rule, some have to cheat to succeed...

hunter1947
10-19-2009, 08:40 AM
A local guy with autobody experience was caught with a screw on 6th point on an elk a few years ago.....

No matter what the rule, some have to cheat to succeed...

Correct me if I am wrong Mike ,I think that incident to do with attaching a tine on to make it a six point was in Cranbrook ,????.

308BAR
10-19-2009, 08:47 AM
So the the CO able to catch them?

pupper
10-19-2009, 08:47 AM
What is the point? Obviously these people are not hunting because they love the sport/experience and they sure as hell are not trophy hunters if they are sawing points off, so why dont they just buy a side of beef? Its cheaper than buying rifles, gas, quads, etc.

RustyRipper
10-19-2009, 09:02 AM
I don't mean to take a side or to defend the people who commit these offences, but I think for some of those cases mentioned the motive may not have been to cheat or lie initially, but mistaken identity or miscounted tines in the excitement of a hunt lead to the demise of an illegal animal and then in panic or perhaps careful thought, they have attempted to cover up their mistake and reconfigure the antlers, however ultimately getting caught, and rightly so. All I'm saying is that the intentions are not always bad, but their intelligence or peharps their outdoor training was lacking. Again not excusing but just looking at it from the other side.

BCBigGame
10-19-2009, 09:07 AM
Either way, intentional or not, hopefully theyget a decent fine and prohibited from hunting for years. If it was unintentional, it is clearly written in the regs the process you are to take.

ElkMasterC
10-19-2009, 09:10 AM
That's why I always carry my Dowel-A-Point (tm)

No matter what the occasion, the Dowel-A-Point (tm) has the perfect matching tine for your poaching needs.

Now available in "Early Season Velvet" with a handsome Spotted Owlskin carrying case.

Operators are standing by....
Call 1-888-PCEOFSHT

rocksteady
10-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Correct me if I am wrong Mike ,I think that incident to do with attaching a tine on to make it a six point was in Cranbrook ,????.

Yep, some guy who lived up Jim SMith Lake area....

RiverBoatFantasy
10-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Yep, some guy who lived up Jim SMith Lake area....

Sounds like he has a screw loose. Did he get screwed?

It would be interesting to do a door to door check of the sheds and freezers in the Jim Smith and surrounding areas.:shock:

rocksteady
10-19-2009, 11:08 AM
I do know that he was charged with numerous different offences in that case (taking elk out of season/intentional interference/ also had a couple deer hanging in his garage with no tags cut).....But am unsure of the outcomes....

chola
10-19-2009, 05:09 PM
I do know that he was charged with numerous different offences in that case (taking elk out of season/intentional interference/ also had a couple deer hanging in his garage with no tags cut).....But am unsure of the outcomes....

I heard it was a $500 fine and a 1 year suspension from hunting.

A buddy of mine caught a herd of elk smoking down an hill and across an open meadow in front of him and his son....he looked up where the elk came from and was expecting to see a bull folowing suit, instead, he caught this same fella that we are talking about, in hot pursuit in his camo'd Tracker. It was called into the CO's but I don't know whatever became of it

benbeckoutfitters
10-19-2009, 07:57 PM
he actually lost his atv and pickup for that little stunt aswell as his licence for a while....chola the guy with his kid.....that wouldnt happen to be shayne would it???? very good freind of mine lol iherd about that shit show and instantly knew who that was lol in the tracker

chola
10-19-2009, 08:48 PM
he actually lost his atv and pickup for that little stunt aswell as his licence for a while....chola the guy with his kid.....that wouldnt happen to be shayne would it???? very good freind of mine lol iherd about that shit show and instantly knew who that was lol in the tracker

Yup,that would be Shayne...ya old "LT" we'll call him, has got himself quite a noted rep. as of these last few years

dunbartr
10-19-2009, 11:20 PM
What is the point? Obviously these people are not hunting because they love the sport/experience and they sure as hell are not trophy hunters if they are sawing points off, so why dont they just buy a side of beef? Its cheaper than buying rifles, gas, quads, etc.

you said it....

Lots of moose being poached down here too. I still think they should illiminate the Immy season and put in more LEH draws. Most guys are hunting moose for meat anyways, so still would have lots of small ones going down too.