PDA

View Full Version : Immature moose clarification

4pointer91
10-18-2009, 09:30 PM
This morning I glassed a young bull moose for a good one-half hour as it was moving around a cut. Regulations state an immature bull moose shall have no more than 2 tines on one antler. I saw that one antler had 3 tines but was unable to determine the number of tines on the other antler, they appeared to be palmated and symetrical. Can somebody tell me if the young bull has palmated antlers can it still be a 2 point immature, is a 2 point (or less) indicated by a non-palmated antler? From the regulations a 2 point immature bull appears to not have palmated antlers. A spotting scope would have really helped but I do not own one and I'm sure I'll see this fellow again. Thanks in advance.

Steeleco
10-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Anything is possible, last week I saw a bull with a medium sized 4pt rack over his right side, but by the time I I.D'd the 2 point fork over the left side. He'd I.D'd me and split!!

Don't shoot on an assumption, count the tines real quick, if you stop at 2 shoot quicker. LOL

killman
10-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Looks like this

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCN2049.JPG

I would not have been able to identify him without my spotting scope. Thought he was a cow, good thing I had it with me;)

sawmill
10-18-2009, 09:38 PM
It is NOT imature moose season,it is spike/fork.It does not matter if the antlers are bright rooster dink pink as long as ONE SIDE has two points or less.If you are not sure then don`t drop the hammer.

4pointer91
10-18-2009, 09:48 PM
I certainly wouldn't "drop the hammer" unless I was 100% sure. I'm almost certain it was a 3x3, it was not spike forked as in the previous post and was palmated, even though it was not large. Just curious as to other peoples observations.

jml11
10-19-2009, 07:57 AM
From my own experiences, generally, if it looks palmated it is likely 3 points or more. Of course there are exceptions to the rule though. My thoughts are this moose you are refering to was likely a 3x3.

This season I have seen a 3x3, a 3x4 and a 2x2. Both moose with the 3's had small palms, the 4-point side looked like a small hand. The 2x2 clearly was not palmated, perfect Y's with no plamation at all and is why he is now in my freezer!:smile: