PDA

View Full Version : Sheep Down.

Gilmore
10-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Well I finally got it done… it only took 19 years and 364 days. That’s how long my quest for a California Bighorn out of region 3 has been going. It was Oct 15th 1989, I was 17 years old and helped my Dad and his hunting buddy take 2 rams above the Big Bar ferry, I got bit by the sheep bug and I have been trying for my own ever since. I’ve missed 2 rams along the way, as well as numerous stalks that never panned out. From the Shulaps to Nine Mile, from Yalakom Mountain to the Fraser I’ve covered a lot of ground in 20 years. I have to admit in the past 6 or 7 years I haven’t put in the effort I used to, but after drawing a ¾ tag for Zone C of 3-32 this year I new this was my chance.

After passing on a ram on opening day and having to come home to Pemberton to harvest potatoes in the middle of my hunt for 15 days I was pretty antsy to get back out there. I went back to Lilloet from the 6th to the 9th by myself and saw 2 legal rams one of which was the same ram I passed on previously and the other ram was in a location I just wasn’t prepared to go down into alone. It was a good 4 days though with quite a few sheep spotted and I was confident I could find those 2 rams again if need be. I returned to Pemberton on the 10th recruited some help and was back on the road on the morning of the 12th. I arrived on the east side of the river to spot onto the west side at daylight and spotted some ewes and lambs but no rams. I met up with my buddy Mitch (hitch here on HBC) at the train bridge in Fountain where we made a plan to head north over Pavillion Mountain and come out the Hi Bar road to continue spotting the other side. I’m telling you some of that Kelly Creek/Hi Bar country is burnt to a crisp in spots! http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s56/gilmore-c/IMG_3267_2.jpg

I hadn’t been up to the ferry to spot yet so hopes were high on finding some sheep. Mitch and I were able to find a total of 7 rams over 2 freezing cold days, 4 of which looked pretty good and would require a closer look.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s56/gilmore-c/IMG_3275_2.jpg
Now my tag requires I hunt below the road or inside the area between the West Pavillion Road and the Fraser River so we were pretty happy with the number of rams we saw. After meeting up with my Dad Tuesday night we planned a stock on them for Wednesday morning.

We found the rams Wednesday morning along with some of the ewes they were starting to chase. After climbing a ridge we were looking out over top of them trying to decide who was legal and who was the biggest among the mingling group. I would have had about a 300 yd shot if we had time to make up our minds but a little 2 point buck decided to make things interesting for us. For some reason this buck came out on the dead run straight into all the sheep below us and started a sheep stampede like you’ve never seen. After going another 300 yds he just stopped and started feeding in front of us, I can’t remember who said it first but there were definitely some “I should shoot that little SOB” rumblings going on!

The sheep headed for the top of the mountain and about all we could do was watch. We retreated to a spot out of the wind we could spot from and had some breakfast, watched the sheep and talked about the rams we had seen. Mitch and I both agreed that one ram which had a chip out of his drivers side horn was the shooter in the group. There was another ram which had longer horns but was quite thin all the way through. Another ram had broomed off so far back he wasn’t even ¾ curl anymore. Luckily for us we watched 4 rams one of which was “Chip” leave the ewes and work their way back down the mountain and bed down on a flat spot on a ridge about half way down. So the stalk was back on.

We got back on the same ridge and had a look but the rams were way out of range and with no way of going straight at them without being seen we were left scratching our heads. For any of you who have hunted the Fraser River grasslands you know cover is at a premium. My dad suggested we simply hike up the gulley we were in get straight across from them and just see how far away they really would be. So off we went, we got up as far as we could until the gulley ran out of cover and we had to peek over the edge to see where we were. Sure enough Dad had some how got us in range, well within 415 yards anyhow. I am shooting Gatehouse loaded 150 grain Barnes triple shocks out of my 300 win mag and at our range we have a 12” gong at 330 yds which I can aim right at and hit every time so I was confident if I held top of his back I would be in the money. Mitch and I located Chip who was 3rd from the back and I got set up for the shot. Just as I was about to shoot a ewe showed up and walked right in front of my ram, then the back ram joined her, dammit! Mitch replied “just relax let them clear and take the shot”. Well they did and I let her rip, 3 rams took off up the hill and my ram and the ewe went downhill out of sight. Hmmm…then suddenly the ram showed up a ridge closer in a little saddle looking right at us…shit I missed!! I got him back in my scope just as he was turning to run. As he was turning I could see my first shot had been good as he was stumbling to turn around but I also knew a short run could put him down in a pretty ugly spot right on the river so I let him have it again, then he was out of sight for good.

We were pretty confident he was down and we couldn’t resist a few hi fives and then we made our way across to have a look. We got to where we had last seen him but no sheep, Mitch made his way to the next ridge and I stayed on the one I was on and we started working our way down. After only 30 seconds Mitch calls my name, I look over to see him looking through his binos and pointing in the bottom of the gulley and he says “he’s done”.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s56/gilmore-c/IMG_3308_1-1-1.jpg
Whooooo!! Now the partys on jumping and yelling, I think there was even a little hugging going on! After some pictures and a quick gut job, my Dad was able to get my truck unbelievably close to the bottom of the ridge we were on and Mitch and I were able to take a horn each and get the ram out whole to the truck!
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s56/gilmore-c/IMG_3298_2.jpg

A picture of Mitch and my Dad.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s56/gilmore-c/IMG_3303_1.jpg

After that a 2 hour drive back to our buddys ranch who also happens to be the guy who took the 2nd ram with my Dad at the beginning of my longwinded story here. We all drank some beers and skinned, caped and got my ram hung up for the night. I want to thank my Dad and Mitch for all the help, especially Mitch who did a lot of work caping my ram something I don’t have a lot of experience doing.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s56/gilmore-c/IMG000891.jpg

Oct. 15th 1989-Oct 14th 2009, 19 years 364 days, it was worth the wait.

hunterofthedeer
10-18-2009, 04:18 PM
Nice Ram.. way to finish the quest but now you probably want to do it all over again in the years to come

frenchbar
10-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Congrats on the Ram !!

FLHTCUI
10-18-2009, 04:34 PM
X2 Congrats on your Ram and the Story as well.
Pics are very good , well maybe 'cept for the ones through the scope ;)
Actaully all good.
How does the meat taste ???
All kidding aside, let us less than fortunate ones know.
Thanks,
Rob

Blainer
10-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Gotta love it when things work out.
Good looking ram.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Congrats Gilmore!!
Well told story and a happy ending!
Must have been extra sweet having your Dad there8).

SSS

jasper
10-18-2009, 04:48 PM
congrats he will look good on the wall.

Gateholio
10-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Congrats on the ram. I truly wish I could have been there to join in the fun.

I foresee beers on Steve's porch and a ram viewing in the near future!:biggrin:

Toad Hunter
10-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Nice shirt.
Nice Ram!

Gateholio
10-18-2009, 04:57 PM
PS who wants to take a crack at the age from the pic?:-D

ROEBUCK
10-18-2009, 05:00 PM
7 years ???

10-18-2009, 05:25 PM
I'mhappy for you, that type of persistence deserves such a nice reward!

whitetailsheds
10-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Congrats Gilmore! That's a great read and photos. Good job on the effort!

kgriz
10-18-2009, 05:28 PM
My "guess" would be 6 1/2 but I'm the first to scorn ring-counting.....doesn't matter what the shooter counts....its the CI guy and then possibly a CO, Biologist etc. after some self-proclaimed experts might complain after some posted pics. ( I hear that happens sometimes)
Anyways, congrats on your sheep.

Ozone
10-18-2009, 05:36 PM
PS who wants to take a crack at the age from the pic?:-D

Well he was 17 when his dad got his, add 20years. Im going with 37.

killman
10-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Good one!

Congrats on the sheep, sounded like a adventure.

And I am guessing 5yrs.

Rattler
10-18-2009, 06:00 PM
Nice ram! Congrats and agree, extra sweet that your Dad was there...

ydouask
10-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Nice ram Gilmore... sounds like you've got some good help there too !

Buck
10-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Really enjoyed the story i have spent time there looking for Rams myself.Congratulations

Skinny
10-18-2009, 06:28 PM
nice ram well worth the wait congrats

10-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Right on and congrats to you and those envolved.

Nice Californian Ram.

I've been trying for that draw since it started. Some day...

You have a good eating sheep and a Beauty to grace your walls ......

Good on you

CT

chinookkiller
10-18-2009, 06:46 PM
very nice Ram,congrats!

JDR
10-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Amazing job guys! It was a long time to wait, but i'm sure well worth it. Congrats man!

bighornbob
10-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Congrats on the sheep.

Ram is 5 years old.

BHB

Gilmore
10-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Thats for all the congrats guys.

And yes, having my Dad there was by far the hilight for me. It started with him all those years ago and now it ends with him, you can't buy that shit it's the real deal.

Deadshot
10-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Congrats, nice ram!
Them draws sure help with the quest.
I'll say 6.5 years old.

d6dan
10-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Beauty Ram Gilmore!. Good story too and I'll give your Ram 6 1/2 yrs..
Congrats on a well earned sheep!!.:smile:

landphil
10-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Well he was 17 when his dad got his, add 20years. Im going with 37.

Ya took the words right outa my mouth on that one!:lol: - nice sheep though, and good story - I hope I don't get the "sheep bug" now:wink:

ElkMasterC
10-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Very nice story and Ram..... I think I recognize some of those Sagebrush...lol

I hope (6.5 year old) Chip will enjoy his new home!

proguide66
10-18-2009, 08:05 PM
SWEEEEEET !..Way to go chad.........the horns have been invited to ' The Porch' for a viewing with beers , and stories!!

todbartell
10-18-2009, 08:33 PM
great job, congrats!

leadpillproductions
10-18-2009, 09:00 PM
would love to shoot a ram some day congrads

hitch
10-18-2009, 09:07 PM
AAAAHHH "The Porch" is about to be re-opened.:eek::eek::eek:

Johnnybear
10-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Great read and photos Gilmore. Nice Ram. Thanks for sharing. Super cool sharing that moment with your Dad like you did many years ago with him. Priceless.

PGK
10-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Nice ram! I get five years...

10-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Chad great story,great to have your Pa along for the great (shared) hunt,you Pemberton outdoorsman are all a class act,used to drive up from town for your great Sporting Clays shoots along the river,ahh the days before McDonalds in Pemberton congrats

bruin
10-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Much props Gilmore, beautiful sheep. That means I've got 18 years and 364 days left to go. Can't wait!

Mik
10-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Congrats on the ram and a great story. I would guess 6 1/2.

10-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Good job Gilmore, that's a long time and a lot of perserverence, and great story telling too. Your story brought back lots of memories, me and my partners hunted that Kelly Creek / Big Bar / French Bar area a lot in the early '90's. Did several solo trips across French Bar up towards Lone Cabin as well. My partner got one nice ram 7/8 curl out of there in 1995. Only time we ever had to pack a ram uphill in 35 degree heat, whew...! Sure not like hunting sheep in the kootenay.
That's a pretty good ram, nice heavy bases, looks impressive in the rear view shot of the horns. Looks like he's 6 1/2 years old to me.

hunter1947
10-19-2009, 05:01 AM
Its a great feeling to get a bighorn ram down ,and it is a bonus to have your dad with you on this hunt ,memories and late night talks around the fire about this hunt will burn forever ,congrats on a fine sheep http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

BCBigGame
10-19-2009, 07:47 AM
Nice ram, story, and pictures.
Way to go!

Wild Images
10-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Nice to see a life quest fulfilled, sweet ram
Congratulations, great story

BCrams
10-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Nice ram!!! I get 5 years. He would be 6 if he lived till spring of 2010.

trigger
10-19-2009, 09:41 AM
great storey and a beautiful ram. unbelievable you were able to get the sheep back to the truck whole.

porcupine
10-19-2009, 10:05 AM
Congratulations on a nice ram and your perserverance. A nice story too.
________
Plymouth Savoy history (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Plymouth_Savoy)

BCHunterFSJ
10-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Congratulations on the ram and thanks for a great story. I've hunted those same areas for many years myself, but never with an LEH tag. A Calie is the one ram missing from my B.C. sheep collection. Maybe one day...

LeverActionJunkie
10-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Way to go Gilmore thats an awesome story! Thanks for sharing and congratulations.

PS: The album in your Avatar is one of the greatest albums of all time if
you ask me!

6 K
10-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Nice work on a lengthy Quest.

EVERYONE OR NO ONE !

Ruger4
10-19-2009, 01:55 PM
he's 7 and a bit

CT.45
10-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Congrats. The fact that you got to live your dream and take a Cali is fantastic, combined with the fact that your Pops was there makes it even sweeter. A fine memory for years and years to come. Congrats again, very nice 6 1/2 year old ram.......

cainer
10-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Way to represent Pemberton! Heard you shot a good one, pics confirm it. Nice work.

roberto mervici
10-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Congratulations for your Ram, always enjoyable to read a good and successful hunting story!
________
roberto

blackbart
10-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Congrats to the lucky draw recipient and hunter. As to the age debate, goes to show you that even with a clear side profile there are different opinions. Some state 5, some state 6 - some have more experience than I and still manage to get it wrong when age really does matter. (wasn't there a debate on here last year with some of the so called experts placing their word on the age only to be proved wrong??). Anyways, just goes to show everyone how dangerous the aging game can be.

Nice ram!

BlacktailStalker
10-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Very nice, congrats on fulfilling your quest.

showtimebc
10-20-2009, 08:00 PM
sweet ram and congrads on your sheep quest!!

hopefully one day I can find myself in a position like yours to be holding a nice set of cali horns in my hands.

my guess is 6 1/2 year old ram.

Maxx
10-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Very nice Ram, great story! Congrats!

Gateholio
10-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Anyone in the Pemberton area on Friday night, stop by Steve's porch for a ram viewing. Bring beer. Alot of beer...:razz:

Casagrande
10-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Hmmm. Isdahl's porch, beer , b.s., The Presidents g.f. and all her teenage friends and a fine set of horns - shades of the Algonquin Roundtable! Almost worth missing my own trip this weekend. Have fun boys. Congrats Chad.

Gilmore
10-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Well I got my ram to the CI today, he was aged at 6.5 years which is what Mitch and I had him at. I also cut and wrapped it on my deck yesterday. I have a wood stove on my deck and since it was raining and kind of miserable out I fired it up. Well it wasn't long until the old cast iron hit the stove top and I had some fresh off the bone sheep steaks sizzling away. Along with a couple of cold beers and I had the lunch of champions going on.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s56/gilmore-c/sheepsteaks.jpg

PGK
10-22-2009, 08:29 PM
Looks tasty! I know we've beaten this to death, but if you could do a markup on there showing the rings, I would love to see it. I still can't make six rings...and I want to know why. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm saying I want to know where the 6th ring is. Cheers

Gateholio
10-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Reminder to anyone in Pemberton area there is a ram viewing/beer drinking event planned for tonight. The Girl is still thinking about bringing her teenage friends with her, considering what happened last time.:oops:

Bring beer!:-P

boxhitch
10-23-2009, 03:55 PM
I still can't make six rings...and I want to know why. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm saying I want to know where the 6th ring is. Clearly six rings. Check the off-side to confirm first ring at the tip. Chip is at the fifth year.

rollingrock
10-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Nice ram! Congrats!

Blktail
10-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Now THAT is how to tell a story!. Good on you. That is a well earned ram and you will savour that fot the rest of your life.

Way to go!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-24-2009, 03:35 AM
It's 3:30am...you guys still out on the deck?? I'm on my way!:D

SSS