PDA

View Full Version : Glad I went to church last night

blindman
10-18-2009, 11:35 AM
This is one of those days that went from bad to outstanding

I left the boat launch in the dark and got disoriented due to the raindrops in my light beam making things look a bit different than I was used to. Another hunter got me back on track and all was well as I ran my boat into the shore to unload my dog and gear prior to putting out the decoys, that is until I noticed that my blind bag was missing. I knew right where it was, on the ground next to my tailgate where I had set it while letting the dog out, so I headed back expecting the worst. My expectations were met and the bag was gone. With no licenses and shells, I had no choice but to head for home and think about what all I would have to do to get back into action; new licenses, calls, thermos, turkey sandwich, apple and dog biscuits would be the bare minimum. I had been watching football for about thirty minutes when the phone rang and a gentleman informed me that he had launched just after I did and picked up the bag. The next thing he told me was that his hunting partner was from Lynden, where I live, and he could bring the bag back when he returned.

I am so blessed by this act of honesty and kindness that it overshadows anything else that I could have experienced during my hunt. Thank you my Canadian brother!

huntwriter
10-18-2009, 11:50 AM
This is one of those days that went from bad to outstanding

I left the boat launch in the dark and got disoriented due to the raindrops in my light beam making things look a bit different than I was used to. Another hunter got me back on track and all was well as I ran my boat into the shore to unload my dog and gear prior to putting out the decoys, that is until I noticed that my blind bag was missing. I knew right where it was, on the ground next to my tailgate where I had set it while letting the dog out, so I headed back expecting the worst. My expectations were met and the bag was gone. With no licenses and shells, I had no choice but to head for home and think about what all I would have to do to get back into action; new licenses, calls, thermos, turkey sandwich, apple and dog biscuits would be the bare minimum. I had been watching football for about thirty minutes when the phone rang and a gentleman informed me that he had launched just after I did and picked up the bag. The next thing he told me was that his hunting partner was from Lynden, where I live, and he could bring the bag back when he returned.

I am so blessed by this act of honesty and kindness that it overshadows anything else that I could have experienced during my hunt. Thank you my Canadian brother!

Yep there are still a few honest people left in this world. Glad everything turned out alright for you.

On a side note. When I scout for a new duck or goose spot I always mark the location in my GPS. It has helped me on more than one occasion to find the sport in the rain or fog.

blindman
10-18-2009, 12:28 PM
I will certainly mark some spots on my GPS for the future and I will tattoo a check list on my arm so I don't pull any more senior moments.

BlacktailStalker
10-18-2009, 03:49 PM
You're fortunate for sure :)

Doe
10-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Just when you think the worst of people.....:D
Dont forget to do your part and pass on a random act of kindness
Pay it forward bro....

Nice to hear these stories too.

blindman
10-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Just when you think the worst of people.....:D
Dont forget to do your part and pass on a random act of kindness
Pay it forward bro....

Nice to hear these stories too.

Funny you should mention that. Last night in Lynden, I was filling my truck up with gas for today's trip and a lady from BC was having trouble with her VISA card when she tried to pay for her fuel. I offered to put it on my card and let her pay me back later, but then hers finally worked. Maybe today was my payback.

blindman
10-18-2009, 07:27 PM
That has nothing to do with your personal honesty. I commend you on what you did!

heyblast
10-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Is this necessary? There are people who belief in God and that is good. Then there are people that don't and that is good too. To each his or her own without insults and ridicule. :wink:
Glad everything was returned, and don't worry we've all forgotten gear at some point.

HuntNHookSports
10-18-2009, 09:32 PM
X4.................

coquitlam
10-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Talk about trying to do a good deed. My hunting partner and I spotted a dog going through the bush approx. 20 miles from no where. We thought it had jumped out of a truck or was left behind. We coaxed it in with a sandwich and saw it had a tag with a phone number. He hopped into the back of the truck happy as could be . We then drove out of the mountains cutting out our hunting time , thinking they are going to be sooo happy to get there dog back and the kids will think Christmas was today. I called the number and then asked the lady if she had a Germain short hair pointer . The reply was yes it/s out with my husband hunting . oooppps apparently we cut his hunting day short as well.

we tryed

Dano
10-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Hi Ken,
Glad to hear you got your belongings back.
My buddy Tom had his wallet fall out of his bag and IanF. found it at the launch and we got it back (through our buddy Buck on this site). If it (or your bag) had been around after daylight, there is more of a chance of people less honourable than hunters coming buy and "finding things".
As we all know, hunters and owners of firearms are an honest and honourable group, they make good friends and neighbours.
Dan
P.S. Someone really was watching out for you though,... it was a wet windy morning and not a lot of birds around. You didn't miss much! :D
Sunday, on the other hand.... :wink:

Elkhound
10-20-2009, 08:45 AM
religion and politics......gets heated real fast on the internet. People need to learn to not crap over someone elses beliefs. Attacking someones faith is unacceptable and not worthy of a friendly internet forum.

Sheldon
10-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Hey Blindman.

That was me and my buddy that found your bag. Funny, if we had not have found your phone number, I had a good feeling we would be able to track you down on this site, and get your bag back to you.

Glad it was returned, as we all know the cost and trouble involved in replacing gear and licenses.

Sheldon

blindman
10-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Sheldon,

Thank for you and John for taking care of me! At the moment, I don't know where the bag is, but I'm sure it is good hands.

I had to put my Lab down Tuesday afternoon, so I'm in no hurry to get it back. At the present I'm spending most of my time on the internet and putting out feelers to locate another dog.

Thanks again,

Ken

heyblast
10-23-2009, 06:35 PM
Blindman sorry to hear about your dog. We lost our Lab almost 2 years ago suddenly, and it's tough. Just got a new dog and i'll admit it's not a thought of hunting breed. It's a Golden Doodle. We wanted a dog that didn't shed and I wanted one for hunting. Standard Poodles and Retrievers are both hunting breeds so we'll see. I finished cleaning some ducks before we went to see the pups and still had scent on my hands. Out of six pups two would'nt stop smelling me and we picked the female. It's just thought on breeds to look at and i hope you find a new partner soon. Good Luck.

blindman
10-24-2009, 08:29 AM
Heyblast,

Thanks for your thoughts and I get a smile thinking about your new method of "getting the pick of the litter." I had an English type Lab and I liked the laid-back temperament, so I'll probably start contacting BC breeders to look for another. My biggest hurdle is that finding a started dog would mean a pile of money and a puppy means no hunting for at least a year.

Sheldon,

I received a call last night that my blind bag is back in Lybden and I'll pick it up today.

Sheldon
10-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Sorry to hear the bad news. Good luck on your deer trip.

blindman
10-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Filled my doe tag ten minutes after hiking in to a spot and finding a rock to sit on. Today I got my bag back and I'm working with a breeder in Mission to find another dog that hopefully will be able to hunt for the rest of the season.

Thank you and your buddies for the return of my bag.

Ken

Marc
10-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Heyblast,
My biggest hurdle is that finding a started dog would mean a pile of money and a puppy means no hunting for at least a year.

Today I got my bag back and I'm working with a breeder in Mission to find another dog that hopefully will be able to hunt for the rest of the season.

Ken

Hey Ken,

Just an idea but there is no reason why you have to rush out and buy a started dog. You could always get a pup and hunt with someone who has a dog for the remainer of the season and work on the pup in the off season.

blindman
10-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Marc, that has been offered but being retired, I like the freedom to hunt when I want to and not have to depend on someone's kindness. There are sure a lot of caring people in the waterfowl hunting crowd!

Marc
10-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Marc, that has been offered but being retired, I like the freedom to hunt when I want to and not have to depend on someone's kindness. There are sure a lot of caring people in the waterfowl hunting crowd!

I guess the other option is to hunt without a dog and only make high percentage shots where it's shallow and open enough to make the retrieves yourself.

I know what it's like to be dogless. My old guy was to old to hunt anymore so I kind of got away from waterfowl hunting for a few years as I didn't have the heart to go without him. Then one season I went out a few times with a freind who had a dog and that Christmas I asked my wife for a new pup. She said " Why do you want a new dog you don't go duck hunting anymore?" I told her the reason I don't go duck hunting anymore is because I don't have a dog to take with me. I think she still regrets me getting another dog. :biggrin: