PDA

View Full Version : Ft St John Moose?

Prowler
10-18-2009, 10:01 AM
I use to hunt the area a lot, and did quite well, but a few years back a friend told me they had been hit pretty hard with the tick problem, and they were hardly seeing any these days. He no longer lives there so I have no contact for the area. Can anybody tell me how things are in this regard these days? I would love to go up and spend the last few days of the season up there....

digger dogger
10-18-2009, 10:30 AM
i spent 2 weeks in hudson hope, not even a cow or calf to be seen, let alone a bull.. a friend of mine in ft st john said he has moose all over his property and they look heathy.. talk to the guys at back country, they'll fill you in

tinhorse
10-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Before moving to Port Alberni I lived there for 3 years. I only moved 2 years ago and the years in which I was there, there were plenty of moose (if you knew where to go). I hope to get back there next aug/sept for moose/elk and deer. if you look around, You'll find one

BCHunterFSJ
10-18-2009, 11:33 AM
I have now been out moose hunting some 10 days in my usual locations; Pink Mt. area, Inga Lake, Tommy Lakes, etc. etc. Have seen a total of 3 bulls (not legal) and 4 cows (no calves). Something is definitely wrong with the moose population here... Most years you see moose every day you go out! None of my hunting buddies here in FSJ have been able to harvest a moose this year. I've just about given up; luckily already have an elk in the freezer.

moosinaround
10-18-2009, 01:28 PM
I have now been out moose hunting some 10 days in my usual locations; Pink Mt. area, Inga Lake, Tommy Lakes, etc. etc. Have seen a total of 3 bulls (not legal) and 4 cows (no calves). Something is definitely wrong with the moose population here... Most years you see moose every day you go out! None of my hunting buddies here in FSJ have been able to harvest a moose this year. I've just about given up; luckily already have an elk in the freezer.
You poor guy!! Only an elk???:wink:

Tarp Man
10-20-2009, 12:19 AM
A buddy and I spent 7 days up there in the any bull season in August. We saw at least 2 dozen cows and half of those had calves. But not a bull to be seen to be shot. The only bulls we saw were in the backs of other guys' trucks. And there were only two of those. Now we hunt private land that no one else has access to but the landowners, and usually pulll a bull each out of there. Not this year, not even a chance for a shot.

srosscoj
10-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Spent 2 mornings and an afternoon all within 1/2 hours drive of town last week. 2 legal bulls that we could not connect with and a cow calf combo. Thats all we saw. Too bad the trip was more business than pleasure. I am certain that if I had one more morning up there I would have connected with one of the bulls.

huntergal
10-20-2009, 09:44 PM
We've hunted south of Chetwynd for a few years now and taken a 3-pt brow tine every year. Fall 2007 dramatic change, first year we couldn't call out a bull in our usual area. Left it for a year and headed back this year....early Oct during the rut (watch the regs, most agricultural MU's closed first 2 weeks of Oct), and we had lots of action so things are looking up again. Wasn't one hunt without hearing/seeing a bull. But it seemed like the population structure had changed to more cows than bulls now whereas a few years ago there were lots of bulls. They were easy to call in with cow calls...but this year...I'd cow call, hear one bull, then hear 2 other cows.....too much competition to draw the bulls in and the 5 I did see weren't quite legal.

fullcurl33
10-20-2009, 10:03 PM
I live there and work in the back country , the moose are hurting to say the least. I think the any bull season must go, let the population rebound for a few years. There might be more to it than that but i won't get into it .

high and to the right
10-20-2009, 11:02 PM
I am wondering if the large Elk population around Chetwynd is hard on the moose population. As they move in the moose seem to have moved out. After taking a moose every year for almost 2 decades from the area and seeing very few elk during those years, it has changed over the last 2 years. I saw dozens of cow moose and a few calves and 0 bulls in my last 2 hunts in the area but I've harvested a bull elk in each of those last 2 years. I've seen lots of elk and had a great time watching them get excited as we called back and forth. But - where are the bull moose?

Also - I've run into more Griz than ever in the last couple of years. There were always lots of blacks in the area and I haven't noticed a change in their numbers. The great berry crop this year will help them through the winter.

bridger
10-20-2009, 11:03 PM
ticks had an effect on moose for sure however it is not all doom and gloom went for a drive last night within 20 miles of town saw 16 moose in about two hours 5 bulls but no tri pallm or immy's

GoatGuy
10-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Hunted up there for an evening and a morning in Aug. Saw 8 bulls and a couple cows if I remember correctly.

Some years you gotta work harder then others; if you work hard every year you usually run into them.;)

Ltbullken
10-21-2009, 07:28 AM
I am wondering if the large Elk population around Chetwynd is hard on the moose population. As they move in the moose seem to have moved out. After taking a moose every year for almost 2 decades from the area and seeing very few elk during those years, it has changed over the last 2 years. I saw dozens of cow moose and a few calves and 0 bulls in my last 2 hunts in the area but I've harvested a bull elk in each of those last 2 years. I've seen lots of elk and had a great time watching them get excited as we called back and forth. But - where are the bull moose?

Also - I've run into more Griz than ever in the last couple of years. There were always lots of blacks in the area and I haven't noticed a change in their numbers. The great berry crop this year will help them through the winter.

The elk and moose would probably have different habitat requirements so there is little competition between them. Elk are primarily grazers while moose are browsers. But if the overall range is being managed for elk, that might affect moose?? Definitely seen griz sign in that area!

bridger
10-21-2009, 07:57 AM
predation is a serious problem in 7b for sure lots of bears and wolves.

hunterkid15
10-21-2009, 02:16 PM
i was up there elk hunting in january and havnt seen so many moose in one day in my life they were everywhere and none of them were sketchy. Although it was minus 40 out and they were probally preserving there energy